ahhrealbrittany

windows 7 wont boot

I have tried three different settings (repair mode, regular startup and safe mode) regular startup stops at the microsoft sign, repair mode will load files and then show a blank black screen, and safe mode sits on the loading files screen. I dont really know what else to do, seeing as i dont have a repair disk and i feel as if it probably wouldnt worj anyway. Please help?
mdel1014

Re: windows 7 wont boot

I'm having the same problem with a laptop less than a week old. Oh and I tried repair disk and it loads files and then goes to a black screen with cursor.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Download the Windows repair disc you failed to burn. Get the 64-bit one.

Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc

From the recovery environment, run Startup Repair. You may need to run it several time.

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

Always give the full model number of your computer when you post here. There is a label on the bottom.

-Jerry
Rebah

I was experiencing the same issue with my Satellite A665-S6050. Then after hours of trying, I made a successful Out-of-the-box recovery and operated it as usual for a while. When I was going to shut down I noticed that there were 126 Windows updates so let it download & install overnight. When I tried to restart it this morning I was faced with the same issue again. What is going on if when I follow the directions using the recovery disk (that I created from my Satellite L505D-GS6000) and I get a the Windows Boot Manager message claiming "Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.....  Status: 0xc00000e9  Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred." How do I initiate another recovery & how many times will it be needed to solve my issue? Could my CD-ROM be going bad? I have no external devices connected & rarely do. Help!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A665-S6050

Satellite L505D-GS6000

..I follow the directions using the recovery disk..?

Exactly what is that "recovery disk"?

Are you talking about the Toshiba discs which enable you to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents?

Or are you talking about the Microsoft Windows disc that enables you to reach the Windows Recovery Environment and make repairs.

-Jerry
Rebah

I'm sorry. I meant that I made a created a disk for recovering (is that the right term?) for Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Rebah

Oops! I see that it's called a Windows 7 system repair disk that I created from your link. I have tried that and used the recovery wizard to return it to the out-of the box state. My brain is getting confused with all the time I have spent on this. Sorry.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..used the recovery wizard to return it to the out-of the box state.

Hmm. Sounds like you must have somehow reached the Toshiba partition with the image which restores the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents.

You should be able to access that directly. See the section Recovering to out-of-box state (recommended recovery method), which begins on p. 63 of the User's Guide.

Satellite A660 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
Rebah

A665-S6050

I did that last night, but as I mentioned it was not working this morning after having been seemingly fine. I just finished another recovery and restarted it just to see if it would work. I actually got the sign on screen & am looking at my desktop. Of course, I will have to reinstall my printer, additional applications (such as MS Office) & download my Windows Live Mail again. Is there something I can do before putting that much effort in to figure out what happened so I can be proactive at repairing any issues that may have caused the problems initially? Thanks for your help?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The main thing to do is use the Windows 7 backup to create an image of your hard disk on an external drive at each phase of the process. That way, you can always restore your hard drive to that point. No need to do all those things that got you to that point.

What is a system image?

Back up your programs, system settings, and files

Restore your computer from a system image backup

More detail here.

How to Create a System Image Backup in Windows 7

How to Do a System Image Recovery in Windows 7

We do this every single day (at 3:00am) for every single computer as routine protection, and retain the last ten generations.

-Jerry
Rebah

Thanks Jerry! So I guess you're saying not to worry about the issues that caused the problem. And, yes I will definitely be doing regular back ups to save future docs & files.

--Rebecca

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

What I'm thinking, Rebecca, is that you should take baby steps adding things. Don't, for instance, install all the updates at once.

Make changes slowly and test carefully after each one. That gives you a fighting chance of determining which one makes the trouble.

If you make a full-system backup (an image) before a change, then you'll be able to recover to the working system you had just before making it.

You should test the backup process and the restore procedures before relying on them.

-Jerry
Rebah

I had another issue, but worked through it. I will definitely take your advice. Thanks again Jerry.

Rebecca