apvwebster

reinstall windows 7 home premium

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: reinstall windows 7 home premium

If you are using IE9, set Compatibility View.

Some Web sites may not behave as expected in Internet Explorer

-Jerry
apvwebster

Thanks Jerry for the help,now my question i have downloaded an ISO copy of windows so i have a disc if i ever need to use it,can i use my original windows key if i reformat my hard drive useing the ISO copy,i could be wrong but something tells i can't.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Your guess is correct. The OEM and retail product codes are different. Since the OEM version that you restore is preactivated, the code on the label is essentially useless.

If you want to activate a retail copy based on the Windows that you already paid for, you need to use the existing activation. It will work only on the exact version you have.

ABR (Activation Backup and Restore)

-Jerry
apvwebster

Thanks for the confimation Jerry,

not being computer savy,does the ABR enable me to use the ISO file so therefore loading windows 7 home premium?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Yes, the iso file burns a retail installation DVD. If it's exactly the same version of Windows, ABR will activate it.

But you're usually better off restoring the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. That will put all the drivers and utilities back. Otherwise, you need to reinstall them all. And this needs no activation.

-Jerry
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

windows 7 Test Mode

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.