Occasional Contributor
paulinspace

lost my Windows 7 Aero Theme (Toshiba image too?)

I have a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5061. I downloaded one of the royal pictures of Prince William and Kate, and clicked on it to make it my desktop theme(?) (picture). BUT, the the heads of Prince William and Kate were cut off, so I clicked to delete the theme (or picture, not sure what the difference is). The royal photo disappeared, but so did the Win7 (Toshiba?) blue picture. Now I have a black background (no photo or image). I want my previous Windows 7 Aero theme back. (was it Toshiba too? Don't remember.) I checked the Recycle Bin and it's not there.

I've tried going to Control Panel -> Personalization, and I see the Windows 7 Aero Theme under the Aero Themes(7) section. The My Themes section is empty. So I left clicked on the Windows 7 Aero Theme, and nothing happens. I right click on the Windows 7 Aero Theme, and no drop-down menu appears. So how do I make the Windows 7 Aero theme into My Theme again?

This seems like a really simple problem, but I have no idea what is going wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -Paul

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: lost my Windows 7 Aero Theme (Toshiba image too?)

Satellite C655-S5061

Restart Windows and report back.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
paulinspace

Hi Jerry,

I restarted the computer several times, and the background is still black. Any ideas?

Thanks, Paul

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

the background is still black.

So your desktop wallpaper is black? What happens when you do this?

Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Settings button (under Performance) > Visual Effects tab

Set Adjust for best appearance and OK out. Restart the computer.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
paulinspace

Hi Jerry,

It's still black. :-(

To hopefully give you some helpful data, I watched the backgrounds as the computer turned on and off.

Turn On:

1) (Red) Toshiba logo on black.

2) "Starting Windows" on black.

3) "Welcome" (with spinning circle) on blue background with vine/flower.

4) My progam icons on black background.

Turn Off:

[  0) My program icons on black background.  ]

1) START -> Turn Off  ->Then background is Windows flag on blue background.

2) "Shutting Down" on blue background.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Paul

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The My Themes section is empty ... I right click on the Windows 7 Aero Theme, and no drop-down menu appears.

Can you System Restore to before the problem began?

What is System Restore?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
paulinspace

Hi Jerry,

No, I can't restore to before the problem began.

I had set the picture of Prince William and Kate as a background image on April 29th. (Their heads were cut off, so I deleted it and unfortunately deleted the Win7 background image.) So I tried 3 different times to restore to the day before, but I kept getting the "System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an antivirus..... An unspecified error occured during System Restore. (0x80070005)"

Unfortunately, it did not tell me what file could not be accessed.

The first time I ran System Restore, Avast Antivirus was running. So I turned it off for an hour. Then I did a 2nd System Restore. I got the same error. I realized SuperAntiSpyware was running in the background, so I turned that off completely.

Then I did a 3rd System Restore (with no Avast and no SuperAntiSpyware) and still got the exact same message.

I can't believe it's this difficult to restore a background image that was accidentally deleted. Ugh.

Any more ideas before I give up and live with a black background?

Thanks,

Paul

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Can't hurt to replace the video driver, Paul.

Intel Display Driver

And what happens when you boot into another account? If you don't have one, create it.

Create a user account

PS Never have more than one AV program resident at a time. They almost always conflict.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
paulinspace

Hi Jerry,

Partial success. I downloaded the new driver. No change. I added a new account, and the new account had the nice blue "Toshiba Innovations" background image that I had deleted on my main account. Does this give you a clue as to how to bring the same background image back to my account?

Thanks, Paul

p.s. I uninstalled SuperAntiSpyware. I wasn't aware that Avast Antivirus also had anti-malware/spyware capabilities too. Thanks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

the new account had the nice blue "Toshiba Innovations" background image that I had deleted on my main account.

Best to regard the existing account as corrupt and move all your stuff to the new one. Instructions are here.

Fix a corrupted user profile

Don't delete the old account until you're sure you've got everything. I would leave it for quite a while.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
paulinspace

Hi Jerry,

I made the 2 accounts, and transferred data from the old account to the new account. Unfortunately, it didn't copy books of chrome etc. But I had my blue background etc. About 5 to 10 times, I heard the weird noise from the speakers that corresponded to the old "automatically reboots", but nothing bad happened, so that was good. But within the past three days, my laptop (C655-S5061) totally froze about 4 times. I couldn't do anything except hit the power button. I lost data. So I figured that was the last straw.

I backed up my system to an external hard drive, and brought my laptop to the "clean out-of-the-box state" using the hidden partition. Now I'm slowly rebuilding my system.

What should I be aware of, so this doesn't happen again? I ran memtest again, with no problems. As I add programs like Firefox and Microsoft Security Essentials, I'm watching the system very carefully, to make sure the previous problems don't happen again (assuming it was a OS or other software problem). Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for? System slowdowns? Something weird showing up in the Task Manager?

The big picture is I'm deciding whether to return the computer (because it is still under warranty) to be fixed. If you can give me any pointers or advice on anything about the laptop to help determine its problem(s), I'd appreciate it. You've certainly seen more problems than I have, so I'm trying to learn from your experience.

Thanks again,

Paul

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sounds to me like you're proceeding correctly, Paul. Add things slowly and frequently look for problems that have occurred in the past.

Wouldn't hurt to run a memory test. Arrange for it to go all night.

Diagnosing memory problems on your computer

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
paulinspace

Hi Jerry,

I ran the memory test all night and day (3 or 5 times?) and no memory problems. But when I was watching BlogTV in Firefox 4.0.1, I heard the burping noise (which, appropriately, sounds like "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpppppppp") from the speakers twice. That's the noise I used to hear before the system automatically rebooted. I was only running Firefox and Task Manager. Task Manager said I was only using 1.39GB (out of 4GB of installed memory). Actually, the Physical Memory box in Task Manager says Total=3894 MB, Cached=1029 MB, Available=2458 MB, Free=1505 MB.

Does this tell you anything? Does Firefox, a Yahoo Mail tab, or a BlogTV tab (only two tabs open) do anything unique that may cause problems that I wouldn't otherwise see?

Just thought this might be a useful piece of info since so few things were running. Not sure.

Thanks again.

Paul

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Bottom line is if you get problems just after restoring the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media, then software is not the problem.

Intermittent hardware failures can be incredibly difficult to isolate. Sometimes you can make them happen by heating things up. I wouldn't fool around with that machine any longer.

-Jerry