ushumgal
Accepted Solution

installing Win 7 on a new hard drive

Hi, the HDD in my L500-19X Satellite just died, and I need to get Win 7 installed on my new hard drive and Toshiba has not provided a Windows installation disk.  The Toshiba recovery disks, as I understand it, only allow you to repair the OS on the original hard drive.  So how does one actually get everything re-installed if their HDD dies and they have to replace it with a new one?  I have the product key for my Windows license from the bottom of the computer, but there does not appear to be anywhere I can download Win 7.

So...when you install a new hard drive, how do you install windows on it without a windows installation disk?

Thanks!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: installing Win 7 on a new hard drive

Satellite L500-19X (PSLS0E-00F01DEN) 

The Toshiba recovery disks, as I understand it, only allow you to repair the OS on the original hard drive.

Your understanding is incorrect. Those discs enable you to restore any hard disk to the computer's original out-of-the-box contents.

See the section System Recovery Options, which begins on p. 3-10 of the User's Manual (attached).

-Jerry
ushumgal

Thanks, that's good to know!  Thanks for also linking the owner's manual!

Now I just have to get it to recognize the new HDD, and I should be good!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good luck!

-Jerry
JackBurton78

[ Edited ]

I bought a Hitachi 500Gb/7500 rpm drive

I am having issues with drivers not loading after running my recovery discs. I was able to somehow fix the sound driver and the NIC but I can't run windows update and wifi doesn't work among other things that just don't work anymore.

I was told that there is some way that the drive must be formatted or someother custom install to get these new drives to work.

Help!!

Laptop Satelite A505-S6986

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A505-S6986

What is the model number of the drive, Jack? 

We've often had difficulties restoring to drives having the new advanced-format technology.

The main fix is to install an Intel storage driver of version 9.6 or higher. The current driver is here.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology

See my original thread here.

-Jerry
JackBurton78

Hitachi 7k750-500 HTS727550A9E364
P/n H2T5001672S
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

That is indeed an advanced-format drive (sector size 512e).

Travelstar 7K750 2.5-INCH HARD DISK DRIVES

As I said, things should work out after installing this driver.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Also make sure this Windows hotfix gets installed.

An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Form...

-Jerry
JackBurton78

I am working again. Thank you very much.

Now, if you can just help me get my multimedia buttons above my keyboard to work again, I'd be 100%

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

get my multimedia buttons above my keyboard to work again

Sometimes this trick does it. With the battery and AC adapter removed, close the Power switch for 30 seconds.

Re-attach those, press the Power button to turn the computer on, and then immediately press the F2 key while the Toshiba logo is displayed. Press F9 to restore the BIOS default settings, press F10, and then select Yes (Exit Saving Changes). The computer will restart.

-Jerry