j_may

iTunes won't open/ computer slow starting after installing updates

I just retired my old Toshiba Satellite and purchased the Toshiba Satellite P850. I have had the same problem on both laptops but when it happened on my old laptop I thought it was just because it was old. This is the second day i've had the P850 and when I double-clicked iTunes it wouldn't open. I waited a couple of seconds and clicked on it again and nothing happened. Finally after a couple minutes of delay it opened. I have never had this problem on the Lenovo V570 my mom has. Is this a problem specific to Toshiba?

Last night, when I shut down the P850, Windows 7 installed 50 updates. This morning it was very slow to start, followed by the problem I had opening iTunes. Firefox also took a couple of seconds to start. Is this just because it was after installing the updates? Is the problem with iTunes going to increase as well as the wait time increasing?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Peter

Re: iTunes won't open/ computer slow starting after installing updates

I'm not sure the exact cause, but I would recommend disabling automatic updates and only updating Windows-specific updates via Windows Update. Don't let Windows Update touch your drivers at all.

- Peter
j_may

Thank you for the suggestion! How would I do that?

Peter

In the Start Menu's search field, type "Windows Update" and press ENTER. To change your settings, click "Change settings" on the left. In the future, you can click the "Check for updates" link to manually look for updates.

- Peter