roslin

driver problems on A100-VA1

[ Edited ]

I had problems with Vista Home Basic; MS Tech support hasn't been able to help me. Maybe I should have come here first/as well.

Model A100-VA1 PSAAKC-VA104C  (BTW this model was REALLY slow in its original configuration -- with only 512 MB RAM; I upgraded the RAM to 2GB in two 1GB sticks.)

The PC was purchased in 2007 and S/N is 3711####Q. Based on the Win7 advisor tool and the s/n, it should be ok for Win7. I installed Windows 7 HP 32bit yesterday in a clean (custom) install, formatting the HDD prior to the setup.

After the install finished, I downloaded updates and installed drivers through Windows Update.  This is when the stop errors/BSOD started.

It was suggested that I use the drivers from Toshiba's Windows 7 page.

http://support.toshiba-tie.co.jp/windows7/download/Satellite_A100_32_cae.htm

So I uninstalled drivers installed through WinUpd and installed from the Toshiba downloads. I have also upgraded the BIOS to v 5.6 as recommended on the Win7 page

I'm still getting frequent stop errors usually with the main code of 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 2 codes varying from crash to crash, then 0x00000000)

I've run memtest to see if it's the RAM. Unfortunately 2 passes on each stick of RAM have revealed 0 errors each time.

I've run the System File Check tool ("sfc /scannow" in a command window run as admin). The verification stops at 38% with the message that Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

What suggestions do you have for me? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: driver problems on A100-VA1

Never install driver updates for a laptop from Windows Update.  ALWAYS use the drivers from the manufacturer instead.  Also try running the Toshiba Software Installer which is available from the same place you downloaded the drivers from Toshiba Canada for that model. 

If that doesn't fix things you should perform a new clean install, then run the TSI, then run WIndows update without updating any drivers, then see how it runs.  You might still need to manually install a driver or two from the Toshiba Support Site, but that normally works better than doing it the way you did it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

roslin

Thanks for the warning about the wuauserv driver updates. I won't do that again.

Re: TSI

I can't find the TSI on that Win7 driver download page, nor on the Vista (original spec) pages. Is because it's late, or because my eyes are aging, or because it's not there? Is it included in one of the other downloads?

If in fact it isn't there, where should I look or who should I ask?

Thanks again.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

I don't know where they put things on the support site for your model.  Here is the one for the USA market.  I don't guarantee it will work with your model though which I believe is a Canadian model. Toshiba likes to go out of their way to make things like this as difficult as possible for the end user.  The don't seem to have anyone with enough sense to use a standardized format for their support sites and seem to take delight in hiding important files.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

roslin

[ Edited ]

Thanks for suggestion. Unfortunately, none of the US models use ATI Radeon Express 200M graphics, and that seems to be where many of the problems lie. The closest US model to mine is the A100-ST1042, save for the graphics.

I'll try the Canadian support site/line tomorrow.

I can only agree with your comment about the lack of standardization. It does make it confusing.

Thanksa again.

roslin

Well, I'm pretty sure I've resolved the issue.

It turns out that it would have worked better to update the BIOS before installing Win7 instead of after. I've reinstalled the OS, the drivers and the security updates. So far so good.

ccc_64: Your suggestion about getting the drivers from the Toshiba site was a great help. There was a recommended sequence of installation of the drivers. That probably reduced the potential for errors.

Thanks for your help.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Glad you got it worked out.