Occasional Contributor
ubet

anti virus for windows 7

whats the perfect free antivirus for windows 7? im using microsoft essentials but sometimes it fails to run on start up.. i have to manually open it to make it run...

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: anti virus for windows 7

Not sure that there is any perfect AV program free or otherwise, but I recommend Avast Home Free.  It's proven to be the overall best Free AV program from the information that I have recieved from the security experts that I know personally and trust.  I recommend supplementing tht with weekly scans of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.  You can have both installed at the same time.  Avast provides full time protection while MalwareBytes is an on demand scanner. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

im using microsoft essentials but sometimes it fails to run on start up..

What makes you say that? What are the symptoms?

Open Services (services.msc) and verify that the Microsoft Antimalware Service is running and that Startup type is set to Automatic.

Open Task Manager (taskmgr.exe - press Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and verify on the Processes tab that MsMpEng.exe is in memory.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
ubet

does windows 7 really takes some time to boot up? my computer boots up approx 70-90 secs.. what can i possibly do to speed it up?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

Depending on how it's configured, what programs are installed, the amount of ram, the hard drive, and the cpu it can take that long for WIndows to start completely.  One of the programs that slows down WIndows boot times the most is Norton AV or Norton Internet Security.  They are REAL resource hogs and do not offer that good of protection overall.  Replacing Norton with one of the AV programs listed previously can help shorted boot times considereably.

One can also go to BlackViper to learn how to optimize their systems.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.