Legolas26

Windows won't start up, keeps going to StartUp Repair

I have a Satellite A505-6005 laptop. I just got it in February and until today I've had no problems with it. I'll explain what happened right before everything went bad and then what it's doing now.

I was playing Sims 3 and I had to move the computer, so I just closed the lid to put it to sleep. A few minutes later I reopened it (it was connected to the outlet while I was using it but not while it was sleeping) and it woke up fine. The Sims 3 was still working, but then it kind of froze. The computer did feel pretty hot at this point, I had put it back in it's bag while it was sleeping, which I've done before and it never felt as hot as it did then. At first I thought it was the just the game, but it wasn't unfreezing, so I tried to minimize the program and get back to the desktop, but nothing was working. I tried to restart using CTL-ALT-DEL, but that wouldn't work. So then I tried to open the CD/DVD drive, just to see if anything at all was working, and it opened. I then closed it, and then the screen turned black and nothing was happening. The orange light was still on, telling me the computer is thinking, but nothing else was happening. So I pressed the power button and it turned off.

When I pressed the power button again, it turned right back on, but instead of saying "starting windows" and getting going, the screen stayed black. Then it gave an error message that said Windows has encountered an error, did you possibly remove an external hard drive while it was in use? Or there could be trouble communicating with your CD drive or hard drive. If you continue to see this error contact the hardware manufacturer.

So it asks if I want to try and start Windows anyway (and I have Windows 7 btw), so I do, but it doesn't get past the words "Starting Windows." Usually it says that, then a little graphic appears, and that never showed up. So then another error message comes up and says it's had a start up error and do I want to Launch Start Up Repair? So I try to, but it never loads. It just has a black screen with Windows is Loading Files across the bottom with a % complete bar at what looks to be 100%, but then it just goes back to the external hard drive removal error.

*In looking at the forums I saw something about pressing F8 to try and get some reboot menu to come up to try to restore to an earlier date, but I pressed F8 when I saw both of the errors and no other choices or options appeared.

If I have to take it in somewhere, I have to take it in. Surely it's still covered by a warranty this close to when I bought it. I just can't believe opening the CD drive broke it and now the whole computer won't start. I am also worried because I haven't backed anything up recently and I really don't need to be losing all my files. I thought about it earlier today and then forgot to do it. Go figure. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Occasional Advisor
pacman

Re: Windows won't start up, keeps going to StartUp Repair

can you still boot in safe mode? how bout running system restore? I dont think the issue was cause by the cd/dvd drive.

=========================================================
the only easy day was yesterday.....
=========================================================

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A505-S6005 

I saw something about pressing F8 to try and get some reboot menu to come up to try to restore to an earlier date, but I pressed F8 when I saw both of the errors and no other choices or options appeared.

Turn the computer on and immediately press and hold the F8 key.

Can you reach the Advanced Boot Options menu?

-Jerry
Legolas26

Thanks so much for your responses!

We weren't able to get it to start up in safe mode, either. I ended up taking it in to Best Buy today and they are doing diagnostics on it. The tech thinks it's a Windows issue, that it got corrupted because of the improper shut down that I did after it froze up. It just wouldn't load Windows no matter what we did, it just kept going back to the error message 0XC00000E9.

Hopefully they will be able to find something that doesn't involve wiping everything and starting over, since apparently we were supposed to make our own Windows boot disc and we didn't.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Too bad you didn't come back here for further instructions. There was lots more to say.

Note for the future: It's usually possible to do a System Restore from the recovery environment.

-Jerry
eliza

I have an L655-S5150 laptop, 64-bit using Windows 7.

My problem is I cannot get Windows to start up.  The problem occurred today when I tried to upgrade my Norton Utilties. Norton needed to "restart" and from that point on, I cannot get windows to start up. It just sort of bombed out.  I've tried several times and every option available. I ran system restore and I get the the message that windows cannot solve the problem automatically.  I looked at the descriptive report, and it says there is 1 issue, likely resulting from a configuration problem.  I had created a repair disks when I bought the computer, like it said to do, but when I insert the first disc, it cannot get it running and churns away in the DVD drive, but nothing happens.  I did not get any system operating discs when I bought the computer.  The manual said to create my own.  I did, but not sure what's going on.  Funny thing is today my husband bought another Toshiba laptop that he needed, then mine broke down when he got home!  Murphy's Law?  Any advice before I have to take it to the shop?  Thank you!!

sherylranee

My computer is doing the same thing and toshiba has told me that it is the hard drive. I don't have the money to get it repaired, so I guess I am stuck without it. I would like to try your suggestions though and see if it can work or not

Thanks

mr_c

My Satellite was having trouble starting.  It wasn't the hard drive.  When I pushed the ON button, the fan would come on and some of the lights would light up, but then it would turn off.  Sometimes it would come on, but when I needed it to turn on rapidly, it might take 20 or 30 minutes to get it to turn on.  Then, sometimes after turning it on, the screen would vertically pixelate and freeze. 

The laptop came with a total of 6 gig of RAM.  It had a 4 gig RAM stick and a 2 gig RAM stick, which seems strange since they are not paired identical sticks.  I did some research online and it was suggested to test the RAM by removing them to see if it could be bad RAM.  After removing the 2 gig RAM, the laptop would works perfectly with just the 4 gig RAM.  The laptop is under warranty, but I hesitate to send the whole laptop in for just a new RAM stick.  If anyone knows, should the new memory stick match the old RAM stick exactly, manufacturer and clock speed?  If so, I would have to make a significant investment to replace both RAM sticks.

Regular Advisor
Defender

best rule of thumb mr_c is that you have a warranty and invoke the use of same, reutrn to the original store or take to a Toshiba Service Center, if one is available in your area.  Since you did not furnish a model# to research makes it a problem to assist further.  As for sticks not matching from same vendor, generally a long as the PC53xx matches and if CL is listed are identical you would be fine.  With that said---you isolated the problem in that 2gb is malfunction and it would be worth the efort to have whole system diagnostic completed.

Regular Advisor
Defender

Norton Utilies is center of your problem eliza as it most likely reconfigured some of the libraries to recognize Norton as its father so too speak. Find someone who have the same OS as you and if they have the original Win7 disc utilize same to do a clean install.  OR, call Toshiba Direct and obtain the disc for your unit to achieve the same result--restore to factory specs. 

Alik1900

i have a toshiba satellite l455-s5975 and something happened after i forced it to shut down i couldnt turn it back on it only give me 2 options to either one takes me to blank black screen and it wont even give me the option to reboot the system the f8 and holding Zero dont work
Alik1900

I have a Toshiba Satellite L455-S5975 and something happened after i forced it to shut down after turning it back on it only gave me 2 optionsboth of the options takes me to blank black screen and it wont even give me the option to reboot the system the f8 and holding Zero dont work
Micrathena

I am having a similar problem.  If I remove the battery and start the computer, it waits several minutes, then finally comes on.  Toshiba utilities says disk is failing, but disk is working fine once system starts.  f8 doesn't work.  Restart doesn't work black screen for a long time.  There was a windows update at the time the problem first surfaced.  I had a similar problem with an update months ago.  I am guessing that the startup, not restart, is due to something like a memory test, but the restart has me baffled.  Is there a utility that can help me find this?

Sharrygranny

Would you suggest I get rid of Norton before I run a disc? I am having the same problem, every 3 times I start up, it goes to blue screen then start up repair.  I suspected Norton, I only had my new Toshiba 70 days when the hard drive and ? Anyway they had it for over 3 weeks and it came back and wasn't fixed. back again, for another 2 weeks, and it was brand new! They wouldn't replace it, now its starting again.

If I just uninstall Norton, what virus protection would you advise? This is the first one I have ever bought, used Avast free before and avg.

Thanks for any advice. I am tech. challenged but need my computer. I am not a gamer, I do research and writing, nothing that should be hard for a computer to do.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sharrygranny wrote:...

Please start a new thread (discussion) for this.

In that new place, tell us which computer you have. See the label on the bottom.

If you have blue-screen errors, attach the corresponding *.dmp files from the C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Also, tell us what you're doing when they occur.

-Jerry