theck

Windows 7 to XP

Hello Group, My Toshiba Satellite L655 came with Windows 7. I have many older programs that will not install under windows 7. The salesman told me there was an XP emulation mode.  That doesn't seem to fly. Then I found I must use Win-7 pro. I ran a Microsoft diagnostic and it claims the Toshiba laptop is NOT COMPATIBLE with Xp emulation mode. I noticed that all the drivers on the Toshiba website are for 7 & XP. HAs anyone had any success with loading XP on a Toshiba L655 laptop?

Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Windows 7 to XP

Which Satellite L655?

-Jerry
theck

Hi Jerry, thanks for your help it's a L655-S5150

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L655-S5150 

Probably your best bet is to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional and then install XP Mode.

The Anytime Upgrade should take only a few minutes. And adding Virtual PC/XP Mode is also easy.

Upgrade to another edition of Windows 7 by using Windows Anytime Upgrade

Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC

It would be nice to use hardware virtualization, but isn't really necessary. Dual booting XP is much more difficult to set up and means a reboot every time you want to run one of those XP applications.

Error message about hardware-assisted virtualization for Windows XP Mode in Windows Virtual PC on a ...

-Jerry
DavidPG

How can this laptop use windows virtual pc if it doesn´t have a processor that has hardware assisted virtualization?

I notice that in your link there is a tool to remove the prerequisites required to run Windows Virtual PC and XP mode.

how do i know that my laptop won't suffer any trouble after i install this tool and begin to use windows xp without the hardware requirements?

Thanks..

showtime123

Instead of using emulation, just buy windows XP and install it on your computer.

charlie9751

Spoiler

what a fantastic resourace this site is.

thnks so much

charlie9751

What a fantastic resource!

JackGibson

As long as all of the important drivers are comptaible it should be fine I guess. You can always use something like parllells to seamlessly change between operating systems?

J.

“Don't find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain”
Henry Ford