Mazario

Windows 7 on Satellite L655D-S5050

Purchased this laptop about 4 months back now and have had no troubles out of it. This morning I go to turn it on and it's providing me a message saying Windows is damaged and cannot repair itself. I try to use the reset to Out-Of-Box specs and it failed, so now my system is completely blank. I didn't create any backup discs when I first got the system, so I currently have no way to put the OEM version back on there. I liked the OEM version, it was fun and nice and had some cool things on it and want it back. Problem is, that the sticker on the bottom that has my key on it has rubbed away. Is there a way to recover this number by contacting Toshiba and providing them with the serial number for the specific unit, or will I get a new one when I pick up the flash drive containing the new OEM file? Thank you in advance for any help.

Also, somehow my splash screen also got turned off, so I can't even access the BIOS right now to make any changes. How do I go about getting that back up and running as well?

Ed-
Occasional Contributor
Ed-

Re: Windows 7 on Satellite L655D-S5050

If you accidentally set the Boot Speed setting in BIOS Setup or HWSetup from "Normal" to "Fast", the splash screen is bypassed. In BIOS Setup (Insyde H20 Setup Utility), Boot Speed is under the Advanced tab. In HWSetup it is under the Boot Priority tab.

Pressing F2 right after powering on should get you in to BIOS Setup. In some cases holding it down while powering will be better, especially if Boot Speed is set to Fast. Once in BIOS Setup, try changing back to Normal Boot Speed. Hopefully this will help.

On recent Toshiba models holding down the "0" key while powering on will initiate the out of box reimage process. This takes the place of using recovery discs. Going through with this will erase all your data. Try this only as a last resort, and only if you don't mind loosing all your data.

Mazario

[ Edited ]

Ok, so my BIOS is back showing the splash screen, thank you for that Ed. My other problem still remains though.

Doing the out of box reset is running now, will let you know how it goes.

Ed-
Occasional Contributor
Ed-

Thanks for the feedback Mazario. I hope the reimage completes successfully too.

Mazario

Well, after some tinkering around with the recovery software I isolated my problem. An error code of 08-0E89-0000, which basicaqlly translates to a bad sector on the hard drive, so the drive cannot overwrite the sector. Luckily, called Best Buy and they are going to swap it out for no charge, as it's still under manufacture warranty. So a little while without it, but it'll get fixed, so all is well.

Ed-
Occasional Contributor
Ed-

Good job isolating the problem.

Thanks again for providing feedback.