jmcdonnell1947
Accepted Solution

Windows 7 Professional Upgrade

I was about to order the Qosmio 505 today.  But the representative told me that Win 7 Pro is not available (unlike Dell, HP, Gateway etc. all of whom offer the Pro upgrade for an additional $75).  She said that I could upgrade after I receive the machine.  But I checked the web and I get mixed opinions as to whether or not the Microsoft Win 7 Pro upgrade will accept a machine with a OEM Home Premium.  Does anybody know for sure if an OEM version of Win7 Home Premium can be upgraded to Win 7 Pro?  I know that I could always buy the OEM Win 7 Pro full version and do a clean install.  But the upgrade is a little less expensive.

Comment - I am truly surprised that a laptop having such features is offered by Toshiba only with a Home version of the OS.  Almost every other vendor in the world offers a Pro upgrade, even on much less serious machines.

Occasional Contributor
mjpoplaw

Re: Windows 7 Professional Upgrade

[ Edited ]

My X505-850 came with Home Premium.  There is an app pre-installed from Microsoft called "Windows Anytime Upgrade" which says it will automatically upgrade to you choice of windows.  The professional upgrade through this app is $89.95, Ultimate is $139.95.  "Windows Anytime Upgrade" shows the feature differences; for me the additional features in the Professional version would not be useful to me.  Anyhow this would be a way for you to upgrade to Professional for $89.95.  Here is a link for Windows Anytime Upgrade:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-anytime-upgrade.

jmcdonnell1947

Thank you so much for the quick and, I would like to add, definitive reply.  Ususally the replies I receive are suggestions for alternatives which do not appeal to me, e.g. use Linux instead of Windows, or buy an HP instead.  Your answer addressed exactly the issue which I had raised and I am now ready to place my order for the Qosmio 505 with confidence that I can upgrade the OS.

Occasional Contributor
PeterATL

i bought the upgrade from factory-installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (for about $89), because it has features that i need for work. entertainment is definitely a secondary use for this machine. currently i am booting from multiple OS depending on task at hand.

the upgrade happens online on Microsoft site, you get new OS product key, and you need to install drivers again, and of course activate your OS with Microsoft.

it remain unclear i you will ever receive optical media with installation files for your upgraded OS.

Best Regards,

PeterATL

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

As I understand things there is no additional media required.  If you need to re-install you just install the original version of WIndows 7, start the anytime upgrade process again, and insert the Product Key you recieved previously to complete the upgrade again.  All of the files are already included with the WIn7 files you recieved with the laptop.  The anytime upgrade just activates the additional features.

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/ff_wau.asp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

dialate

One of the things to consider about Windows 7 is that IIS is included in home premium, so if you're doing development work on it, upgrading to pro or ultimate is nice but unnecessary.

Another thing to consider if you have the solid state hard drive version like the X505-Q880...the C: Drive is the small "64GB" (60GB actual) SSD. Subtracting out the recovery partitions, you're left with 48GB...with factory defaul setup including kitchen sink, you're left with a rather constrictive 25gig or so. You're going to want to do a clean install, so you can relocate this stuff to the big HD.

If you do a reformat, when you're downloading the drivers make sure to select "Windows 7 x64" in the filters of the driver downloads page, otherwise the first page shows drivers that don't quite work right. (e.g. a old 32-bit version of the nVidia driver)

Wireless networking will not work out of the box on vanilla Windows 7, so make sure you have access to a wire.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

An anytime upgrade isn't the same as a standard upgrade.  It will only add the additional componants and will NOT leave a bunch of crap that wastes space like a regular upgrade would.  In effect it just transforms Home Premium into Professional with the net result being exactly the same as if you had installed Professional in the first place rather than performing an upgrade.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

LPD
LPD

hey whats up? I have a question, i have a laptop with wndows 7 home p, and I have a original DVD with windows profesional, how can i upgrade using the DVD because if I use the DVD its says that to upgrade from a win7 version to another use windows anytime upgrade but windows anytime upgrade just have to options, buy the upgrade or enter a key I have already try with the key that comes with the DVD but it does no work, any idea?? 

MWMOSKWA

Hey LPD, I had the same issue, but with a lot of work and time was able to make it work today.  Here is what I did:

1. Created a set of Restore DVDs using the Disk Creator.  That is to make sure you can get the sytem back to normal if needed and also to create an Application and Driver DVD.

2.  The SDD is fantastic.  It only takes a few minutes to install a complete WIN 7 Pro clean install.  BUT. be sure to delete everything from the SDD first.  Other wise you will have three partitions taht are useless.  I have a A505-S6993 which has a 60G SSD.  I set the laptop to boot first from CD and then returned it to SSD when the installation completed.

3.  After installing Windows comes the time consuming part, that is installing all of the Applications and Drivers.  The help file says there is an automated process, but I could not find it and was forced to install one at a time.

4.  The order of installation is important as some are dependent on others.  This is the order I used and the version IDS.  There are a few I did not want to use.

Intel Chipset SW Install Utility,9.1.1.1015
Intel Matrix Storage Manager,8.9.2.1002
Intel Wireless LAN Driver,12.4.11.0.s64_wCAT
MDRegSet,3.8.3.1(MDRg3832101)
NVIDIA Display Driver,8.15.11.8642
NVIDIA HD Audio Driver,1.0.0.55
Realtek Audio Driver,6.0.1.5904
Realtek LAN Driver,7.5.730.2009
Realtek Wireless LAN Driver,62.1176.812.2009|6.9105.812.2009|1676.9.909.2009|2006.4.909.2009
Ricoh Card Reader, 2.06.03.02
Toshiba Assist,3.00.09_O
ConfigFree,8.021
TOSHIBA DVD PLAYER,V3.01.0.07-A
WinDVD BD for TOSHIBA,8.0 DXVA B20.107
Corel DVD MovieFactory for TOSHIBA,7.00.40266.0
TOSHIBA Disc Creator,2.1.0.1 for x64
TOSHIBA Extended Titles for Windows Mobility Center,V1.01
TOSHIBA WEB Camera Application,V1.1.1.4
TOSHIBA Face REcognition,3.1.0
TOSHIBA Folder Migration Utility,1.0.0.6
TOSHIBA HDD Protection,2.2.0.0
TOSHIBA HDD/SSD Alert,3.1.64.0
TOSHIBA HW Setup Utility,V2.00.11
TOSHIBA Service Station,2.1.31
TOSHIBA Software Modem Region Select Utilty,2.3.0.13 not installed
TOSHIBA Speech System,1.00.2518
TOSHIBA Supervisor Password Utility,V2.00.09
TOSHIBA USB Sleep and Charge Utility,1.2.3.0
TOSHIBA Value Added Package,1.2.25_64
TOSHIBA eco Utility,1.1.7.64
Uer's Guide for Satellite A500/A500D Series,1.0
WildTangent ORB Game Console,1.0.0.71
AtherosWireless LAN Driver,8.0.0.196.0.s3264_wCAT
Bluetooth Monitor,v4.04
Bluetooth STack for Windows by Toshiba,v7.00.08(T)
Dolby Control Applications,2.2.1
HDMI Control Manager, 2.0.0.1.64
My TOSHIBA,2.2.0.4
Skype Launcher,2.01
Synaptics Touch Pad Driver,2.2.0.4
Windows Live Essentials,14.0.8089.0726
TOSHIBA PC Health Monitor,1.4.1.64,1.4.4.64

5.  I have only seen one problem and that is recognizing Blue Ray DVDs.  I can play regular DVD Movies, but a Blue Ray Movie says it can't find Toshiba DVD PLayer.  I am troubleshooting that now and will keep you updated.  I am planning to update any Applications and Drivers from Toshiba Support Site.

LPD
LPD

MWMOSKWA

thank you so much for your help and your time. I appreciate it!

MWMOSKWA

Hey, just wanted to post follow up on my Blu-Ray problem:

It turns out the problem I was seeing is the way the laptops work when using the Blu-Ray Player.  The Graphics Controller will not allow Blu-Ray Player to display on both the Laptop Screen and an external screen at the same time.  You must first change the display behavior to either be a Laptop or External, but not both (exception is "extended").  This applies for playing both DVD and Blu-Ray discs using the Blu-Ray Player.  You can also play Blu-Ray on externals by closing the lid on the laptop.

Toshiba DVD Player, will play in any configuration, but will only play DVD's, not Blu-Ray.

Toshiba Tech Support confirmed this.  In my opinion they ought to publish this as a FAQ or bulletin.

marwest98

I need to upgrade to Windows 7 professional or Ultimate.  I received my machine yesterday, and thought I ordered professional but received the normal home windows.  the board states that ultimate is 139.95, but when I go to order it, it gives a price of 239.95.  How do I get the upgrade price?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

You need to contact the place you ordered it (or want to order it) from.  This is just a User's helping User's forum with no Toshiba Support Personnel.  Toshiba Employees are prohibited from participating in these forums in any official capacity so even if one of them did see your question they wouldn't be able to do anything about it. 

JohnyD

Upgrading is soooo easy, buy the laptop with the homw edition, and then purchase the Windows-7 upgrade key. My laptop runs on pro?

babygirlss4

I need to reinstall windows vista someone help please

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Depending on what you've done with your system you have four choices.

1. Power off the laptop. hold down the 0 (zero) key while you power it up, then follow the prompts to restore the system to it's factory out of box state.  This will only work if you haven't changed the hard drive or wiped the hard drive. 
  2. Insert the first Recovery Disk into the DVD drive, then boot the system, hit the F12 key to select the boot device, select DVD/CD drive, then follow the prompts to restore the system to it's factory out of box state.  This only works if you followed instructions in the USers Guide and created a set of Recovery Disks or purchased a set from Toshiba.
  3. If neither of the above works you'll need to order a set of Recovery Disks from Toshiba.  Go to the very first post in the "System Recovery and Recovery Media" forum here. 
  4. Purchase a Windows Vista install disk and install Vista from scratch, then go to the Product Support Link at the top of this page to download all of your drivers and utilities and manually install each one. 

Atakan

kalisonlane

I just did a clean install to upgrade from Win 7 Home Premium (64 bit) to Win 7 Pro (64 bit). I have a Satellite A505-S6980. Can I get a download with all the Toshiba drivers in one install? or do I have to install each one separate

I only did a clean install because the software version offered through my college was free. I couldn't get an anytime key code, so now I'm trying to get my laptop back to where it was before the upgrade. Suggestions? Help? Anything?

Thanks.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Sorry, but it isn't possible to download all of the updates, drivers, etc. in a single file.  Your only two choices are to download each one individually or use the Drivers Disk from the Recorey Disk Set you were supposed to make when you got the laptop to install all of them.  Once again, you'll probably have to install them one at a time even with the Drivers Disk from the Recovery Disk Set.

You can try the Toshiba Software Installer to see what it will do for you, but I've never found it to work well enough to have much faith in it, especially on a 64bit version of Windows 7.  Go to the product support link at the top of this page, enter in your model number, then click on the downloads tab to find it.  The other problem with it is if you have to re-install Windows later you'll have to go thru the time and hassle of downloading everything from it again.  To me it makes more sense to download all of the individual files and save them on a flash drive, CD, DVD, etc, so they are readily available if needed later.  Either that, or use the Driver Disk from the Recovery Disk Set.

rclowe

I went through this with a Satellite S875 in upgrading it from Win 7 Home to Win 7 Ult (I run many business apps that won't install on Home versions).  I just wiped everything out and installed my TechNet version of windows.  All went moderately well, pulling drivers from various places.  2 things I have noticed, and 1 problem still left to fix:

1. Toshiba and/or 3rd party sites had 'tools' to get 'all the drivers', etc.  Don't waste your time.  First they try to charge you money after offering a 'free scan' or whatever.  What a crock.  As if they would be able to successfully update all the drivers, anyway.

2. The video drivers are very difficult to find.  In fact I still have crappy display on this laptop.  I am thinking of tossing it in the landfill and getting a different brand altogether.

Good luck, though, if you are thinking of doing this yourself.