uprightbass
Accepted Solution

Win 7 Software download anti-virus problem

I'm having a problem with the Software Installer for a clean install. Zone Alarm is warning a bad download could happen with this software. Any ideas?  Sure would like to convert to Win 7.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Win 7 Software download anti-virus problem

ZoneAlarm may be useful to protect against bad guys. Toshiba is a good guy. Best to uninstall it.

-Jerry
uprightbass

Jerry,

Thank you for responding. Do you think the warning is being triggered by the way the software is copying files?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I have no idea. But it makes no difference. ZoneAlarm is simply wrong. I would uninstall it.

-Jerry
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I second that.  In fact, in the upgrade instructions it states to turn of your AV, Security, and FIrewall until the upgrade is finished. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Rachel1986

cee_64 wrote:

I second that.  In fact, in the upgrade instructions it states to turn of your AV, Security, and FIrewall until the upgrade is finished. 

What would be the best anti virus out there that your aware of, it sounds like you definetly know your programs.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

That depends on a lot.  If you really know what you are doing, just about any will be fine. 

It also has to do with if you are willing to buy something, or want one of the free ones.  Of the free Real TIme A/V programs I prefer either Microsoft Security Essentials, or Avast Home Free.  Avoid AVG Free like the plague. 

Of the paid ones, I prefer Kasperski.  Avoid anything from Symantec/Norton.  They tend to release bloated software that has too much of a performance hit on the computer, plus they haven't had anything decent in the last 10 years or so.  McAfee is another one to avoid. 

I'm that big on Security Suites or Firewalls as most users don't have the technical knowledge to use them effectively.  You can't leave them on Automatic and expect them to work well, and when the average user is asked if they should allow something or not, they don't know if they should or not.  They either block everything and eventually end up with an internet connection that is so restricted they can't do anything, or the let more stuff through than the standard Windows FIrewall would let thru.  That's also why Windows VIsta, 7, and 8 UAC is such a joke.  The people who need it don't have enough expertise or knowledge to use it effectively, and the ones that do have the knowledge and expertise don't need it. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

danielpunk

There are many ways how you can get this scamware: insecure browsing on infected websites, downloading infected files (together with movies, apps and updates). To prevent this, you should always have updated anti-spyware and anti-virus programs on your machine that have full virus database. I recommend  you to use Avira.

For more: http://www.techyv.com/article/avira-antivir-antivirus