Occasional Contributor
camey1

WINDOWS 7-32 BIT, HANGS AFTER STARTUP

WINDOWS 7-32 BIT, HANGS AFTER STARTUP, WAIT 1/2 HOUR THEN WORKS FINE THE REST OF THE DAY, WHY?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: WINDOWS 7-32 BIT, HANGS AFTER STARTUP

Which computer? There is a label on the bottom.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
camey1

Sattellite L455-S5975.  Original 2gb DDR2, 250GB HDD.

I have since added another 2GB of Ram.  I'm pretty proficient with computers.  I've already tried restoring to a previous time, and tried several other things.

I might mention, a couple of months ago I had do do a complete reinstall as the computer was from factory.  I took the additional memory out before the reinstall.  Before I did reinstall I never had the problem which said i.e. has stopped working. 

As I explained, after working on after the first 1/2 hour I power on, it then works fine.   Now I have been on it for about 3 hours and no problems.  It's kind of odd that it occurs just when the computer is powered up.

I tried asking Toshibe, what programs of there's can be stopped at startup, they tell me none, it will cause more problems.

Hope this helps and thanks for help.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L455-S5975

after the first 1/2 hour I power on, it then works fine.  

Sounds like a temperature thing, which would be strictly hardware related.

But after it cools down, see what happens after booting another way. What happens when you boot into Safe Mode?

Start your computer in safe mode

Also, what happens when you boot normally into another account? If necessary, create one.

Create a user account

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
camey1

Thanks Jerry.  But it does same thing in safe mode, which I tried in the past.  I tried new account the same as well.  But, it's only overnight when powered down, in morning there seems to be the problem. 

However, for some reason, this morning no problems and I've been on computer now for about 4 hours with no problems.  Really strange. It happens sporadically.  I guess I'll have to live with it unless you have more suggestions.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

That's what I expected. We were just checking that the stuff loading has no affect.

To confirm that the problem is due to hardware, you need to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
camey1

I did reinstall out of the about 2 months ago.  The new out of the box reinstall is when this started happening.  Before that, the problem never occurred.  I had to do an out of box reinstall because I got a totally black window and thus I did an out of box reinstall then.

Recently I tried using the computer with original 2GB.  When I saw that the problem was happening, and since I did a complete out of the box reinstall, I thought I did not have enough memory.  That's when I added additional 2GB thinking it would solve problem.  Needless to say, nothing worked.  Like I said I'll have to live with it, because once it gets going it's fine.

Thanks anyway.

Camey1

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I did reinstall out of the about 2 months ago.

So you've already confirmed the problem is due to hardware.

once it gets going it's fine.

Keep your backups up-to-date. These hardware things usually get worse.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
camey1

I keep not 1 but 2 flash drives as backups, in case one does't work.  Thanks for your help anyway. 

This computer is only 2 years old, never leaves the house it's pretty stable.  I thought Toshiba was to be a superior product, don't know if I will buy another Toshiba in the future.

By the way, do you know if I can stop some processes at startup which may be causing the problem.  Because it seems there are so many Toshiba processes that eat up my cpu.  When I called Toshiba, they said I should not stop any Toshiba processes. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You stopped lots of processes when you booted into Safe Mode.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
camey1

I know many processes are stopped in Safe Mode.  I wanted to know, when its in regular mode can I stop any processes?

camey1

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sure. But it won't help this problem. You can't stop any that you haven't prevented by booting into Safe Mode.

-Jerry