StanLogue

Upgrading: Windows Vista to Windows 7

Limits of the free Toshiba DVD titled "Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Option"

If you have obtained from Toshiba their free DVD titled "Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Option",

and labeled "This disk contains both 32-bit and 64-bit software", you can use it to upgrade
   from a 32-bit version of Windows Vista to a 32-bit version of Windows 7, or to upgrade from
   a 64-bit version of Windows Vista to a 64-bit version of Windows 7, but you can not upgrade from
   a 32-bit version of Windows Vista to a 64-bit version of Windows 7, or vice versa.

Such a cabability is not included in the software license obtained from Microsoft. :smileysad:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using the Toshiba free DVD titled "Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Option"

That DVD has this Setup Guide booklet: "Upgrade your Toshiba laptop to Windows 7".
    It has you run this program: LAUNCHTUA.EXE
    That opens a document headed: "Toshiba Upgrade Assistant for Windows Vista"
    Which presents seven steps. Step 5 is:
       "Download and run Microsoft's "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor"
        You should only run that to get / review the "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Report"
        Do not proceed fruther with that Microsoft process, which leads to this:
            "Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation)."
        Do not use that wrong installation approach.

Instead, go out and continue with Toshiba's Step 6:
            "Download and run the Toshiba Upgrade Assistant"
        And then with Toshiba's Step 7:
            "Follow the instructions from the Toshiba Upgrade Assistant"

Zypher

Re: Upgrading: Windows Vista to Windows 7

You're right, you can't do an upgrade to 64 bit. But you can do a clean install to win 7 64 bit.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

If you perform a clean install the onboard Recovery System is disabled.  As long as you have created the Recovery Disks you can always use them to restore the computer back to it's original Out Of Box State complete with the on board recovery system.

You can perform a clean install just fine using the Upgrade disk, including installing the 64bit version.  You will need to delete the original 32bit Vista partition first though.

First back up all of your important data as all of it will be erased.  I would also recommend using the WIndows Easy Transfer Wizard to backup your user profiles, data, etc.  You can install it from the WIndows 7 upgrade disk.

If you haven't already done so create your Recovery Disk Set by going to "Start - All Programs - Toshiba - Recovery - Recovery Disk Creator".  Boot to the first Recovery Disk and select the Erase Hard Drive option.  Now boot to the Upgrade disk and select the 64bit option and proceed with installing WIndows, but do NOT insert the Product Key or attempt to activate WIndows.

When the installtion has completed and WIndows 7 is running (don't bother running WIndows update or performing any customizing of the OS at this point) insert the WIndows 7 upgrad eisk into the drive and run setup again to perform an in-place upgrade of the existing WIndows 7 installation.  Once the upgrade has completedrun WIndows update.  Now install your AV program (if you don't have one already I recommend you purchase Kasperski if you wna the absolute best of the paid for versions or Avast Home Free for the best of the free versions.  Now start installing the various Toshiba specific drivers, utilities, and programs from the Product Support Link at the top of this page for your specific model.  If you don't see a 64bit WIndows 7 version you can try the 64bit Vista version.  Be sure to reboot after installing EACH AND EVERY driver, utility, and app even if you aren't prompted to.  Once that is done start installing your third party applications one by one rebooting between each. Restore your data and you should be ready to roll.

Once you have used the system for a few days and you have verified that everything is running as it should you can enter in your Product Key and activate WIndows.  You should have 30 days from the time of the initial install of Se7en to do this which gives you plenty of time to make sure everything is working as it should.  If you activate right away and then find out you have a problem that requires you to re-install WIndows 7 you'll probably need to cal Microsoft to activate which is a pitb which is why I recommend waiting a few days to make sure everything is as it should be. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

DannyPoo

Hey Cee, i've browsed all over the web and your the first person to explain how that would work (I have 32-bit vista, with a toshiba upgrade disc to win7 that lists 32-bit and 64 bit).

I have one question though, at the end you mention a validation key,   I have a validation key for vista, but not for w7, can I use the vista key?  Were they supposed to send me a key for w7?  All I got was the disc they sent me in the mail.

Thanks

-Danny

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

the upgrade disc case should have a microsoft product key on it. and toshiba and windows have both posted instructions on both of their websites on how to do the clean install

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

It isn't a validation key, it's a PRODUCT KEY like I stated in my previous post (don't people ever actually READ the posts?).  It's on the back of the disk case at the bottom. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

DannyPoo

oh!  Sorry, excuse my ignorance, i have found the key- I feel like a bit of an idiot now. 

I do have one more follow-up question. After I have installed W7, why would it be necessary to do an in-place upgrade- essentially  W7 to W7.

Before hand, I apologize if the answer is obvious- there are some things I am re-learning after years of being out of the loop.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

In Windows XP and previous versions when you used an upgrade disk to perform a clean install it would request that you put the qualifying product disk in the drive to verify that you qualified for the upgrade.  This would be the install disk from the version you were upgrading from.  Starting with VIsta MS stopped using that proceedure since it often times would not recognize a Recovery Disk as the qualifying product so they came up with this new way.  You can't insert the Product Key on a clean install from an upgrade disk UNLESS it has performed an actual upgrade.  By upgrading the original Win 7 clean install it recognizes the installation as an upgrade and will accept the Upgrade Product Key allowing you to activate the installation. 

See http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp for more information.