mnc51

Upgrade from Windows 7 Premium 32-bit to 64-bit

Hello all.  I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983 which has Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.  I have been reading through the forums, as well as Microsoft's forums, in regard to a question I have.  My question is this:  Can I upgrade my existing 32-bit OS to the 64-bit OS.  From what I am reading, I would have to purchase Windows 7 64-bit and do a clean install on my laptop, since there is no option to simply upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.  Am I correct in understanding this?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Upgrade from Windows 7 Premium 32-bit to 64-bit

Satellite L505D-S5983 

I would have to purchase Windows 7 64-bit and do a clean install on my laptop, since there is no option to simply upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.  Am I correct in understanding this? 

Yes.

Toshiba appears to support that version with drivers and utilities. You'll also want to make sure that there are 64-bit drivers available for your peripherals.

Remember also that 64-bit Windows does not support any 16-bit software - DOS or Windows. That includes older 32-bit applications that have 16-bit installation packages.

-Jerry
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

Unless you will be using MORE than 4gigs of ram there is no legitimate reason to go to 64bit WIndows.  64bit Win 7 requires more ram than 32bit WIn 7 does to run at the same performance level so unless you intend to install a lot of ram (as in 6gigs or more) then stick with 32bit. 

My L305=S5933 has 3gigs of ram and runs a little quicker with 32bit WIn 7 than it does with 64bit WIn 7 (i've been testing this out over the past couple of weeks).  Even when I upped the ram to 4gigs 32bit runs a bit faster.  I haven't been able to install more ram than 4gigs as I don't have a need for more than that so I'm not going to waste the money to buy it just to test it out. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Advisor
Hfreeman

Cee64 is correct on this, depending on the user, at least from my perspective.

I have Win 7-64 with 4GB of memory on a 1066 Bus, which I consider very important.

My application load takes all of the Ram due to hight volume databae modeling and SQL queries with millions of rows of data returned, so I am not caching as much as I use to on 3gb system using 32 bit XP. I know that my current Notebook is exceptional on Win7-64 and I will never try Win7-32 on it.

Does Win7-64 run better than Win7-32, I cannot prove that so I am good with the statement until I hear otherwise, since there are few 64 bit app available.  Since I am running MS SQL Server Enterprise 64bit it is hard to quantify.  The type of measuring tools used to measure 32 bit vs 64 bit, I know are different, but how is no longer important to me. 

Generally, speaking all new system are 4 gigs and 1066 bus with 5400 rpm drives. Gaming system have faster processor and faster HD 7200 rpm.  So if you have a 32-bit system that will run 32-bit Win7, you should not hesitate..

Good Luck.

Hank Freeman
Senior Data/Systesm DBA-DW Architect
USA