threecsandb

Upgrade Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7

I have a Satellite A205-S3825 that came with Vista.  I have nothing but problems - the worst being the task bar gets the "waiting / loading circle" and I have to end the process which ends up being explorer.exe but everything continues except I lose control over the sound.  I lose the optical drive periodically and have to reboot.  I really do not like Vista and hear Windows 7 is much better.  Would it be OK to upgrade my system to 7?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Upgrade Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7

That's difficult to say since that Model Number doesn't appear in the Toshiba Support Area to check.  Check that model number and post the correct one and we'll see what we can figure out. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

AlanD

HI Cee -

I have a Satellite E105 from Best Buy.  I'll soon be receiving the Windows 7 upgrade disk.  I'm wondering if in addition to the disk, I'll need upgraded drivers for things such as fingertip recognition, webcam, etc.  when I upgrade.  Do you think I should wait to see what problems others are having before I upgrade?  Changing the operating system is a little scary.

Thanks for your advice,

Alan

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Alan, yes you will need Windows 7 drivers for most (if not all) of those items.  You can go to the Product Support Link above to see if Toshiba has those drivers available for your system yet or not.  And pay CLOSE attention to the word BETA in the description.  Many of Toshiba's Win 7 drivers are still in the developmental stage and should never be installed on an every day use system (work, school, etc.).  I recommend installing Win 7 in a dual boot scenario for all prospective users to test it out prior to switching to it as the sole OS.  It isn't that difficult as is a MUCH better alternative to performing a direct in place Win 7 upgrade over the top of Vista.  See this site for details on performing a dual boot install. 

And telling us you have an E105 is like telling us you drive a Ford.  You need to learn to be more specific when you post and include the COMPLETE Model Number otherwise we are flying blind here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Advisor
Hfreeman

HI Cee -

I have a Satellite E105 from Best Buy.  I'll soon be receiving the Windows 7 upgrade disk.  I'm wondering if in addition to the disk, I'll need upgraded drivers for things such as fingertip recognition, webcam, etc.  when I upgrade.  Do you think I should wait to see what problems others are having before I upgrade?  Changing the operating system is a little scary.

Thanks for your advice,

CEE64 is correc,t you always need to post the proper model number.  That having been said .. Read on !!!

The E105 is either a E105-S1402 like mine or the next generation an E105-S1602. They are virtually the same system with a differenct  CPU and larger HD on the later.  The instructions posted on my blog are meant as a dialogue of what I  had to to do to get my E105 up and going with Wind 7 ... So you have an option go to my blog instructions as a guideline, or follow the instructions from Toshiba if they sent you some or wing it.. 

Remember, I did purchase FOUR E105-S1402 systems. Two are running Windows7-64 Ulltimate  and two are still on Vista 64 Home Premium, which will go to Windows 7 after the release is received from Toshiba. 

Here are my links and a secondary link to Belar, an audit tool that give you all the products and Updates currently on your system.  I suggesting it be run and the information save off just in case you need it and the product keys within during the UPGRADE.

E105-S1402 ( Windows 7) upgrade Q & A ( Started:7-August-2009)

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit

I hope this helps you...

Respectully

Hank Freeman
Senior Data/Systesm DBA-DW Architect
USA
AlanD

Thank you both Cee and Hank.

I have the newer E-105-S1602 with Windows home premium.  I will take the time to read everything you both wrote and absolutely will try the dual boot idea so that both operating systems are on my machine since I have so much hard drive space available.  I've never attempted anything like that, so i'll  read your instructions carefully and pop back if I have any more questions.

I especially like one of the steps which says "Say a prayer" which I absolutely will do. I believe there are no athiests either in foxholes or people upgrading operating systems! 

-Alan

Occasional Advisor
Hfreeman

[ Edited ]

@Alan

CEE64 and I will be watching if you have questions.  You can post them here or on my blog, especailly the later if you have a question about anything I have said or suggested...  Just cut and paste any thing I have said in your question and either of use will respond.. 

I have ONLY the Windows 7-64 Ultimate on my system for I use the Windows Virtual PC, which has performed , as I had hoped it would. ( Which my E105-S1402 system and P8400 CPU supports for Windows 7 Ultimate).. Other system may or may not be able to support VT-Tech.

I put a duplicate of my work PC (XP-SP3) image down for USER H_Freeman and all the Links, favorites and other files.  I installed fresh all the SQL Server Developer 2008 and associated DBA utilities so I can do either XP or Windows 7.  It should be noted that I have never had a problem and I can do it all from XP... (Cee64 probably fell out his chair with that last comment), BUT I PREFER Window 7-64...  For ME it is a clear Winner for I know I can do more in Windows 7...

Enjoy your experience, you should only have to do this once.

Respectfully

Hank Freeman
USA
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Alan, a couple of tranquilizers or three wouldn't hurt either.  :smileywink:

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

Hank, if he is using the Free Windows 7 upgrade disk from Toshiba, WIndows 7's Virtual XP isn't an option as he'll only have Home Premium. 

Plus the P7350 cpu in his system doesn't support the VT Technology necessary to run it in the first place so he can't use any of the third party alternatives for running XP in a Virtual Box. 

Occasional Advisor
Hfreeman

[ Edited ]

Hank, if he is using the Free Windows 7 upgrade disk from Toshiba, WIndows 7's Virtual XP isn't an option as he'll only have Home Premium. 

Plus the P7350 cpu in his system doesn't support the VT Technology necessary to run it in the first place so he can't use any of the third party alternatives for running XP in a Virtual Box.

1. I understand about the Windows 7 Free Upgrade and that Virtual PC-XP is only available for Ultimate and Enterprise

2. I did not know that the P7350 processor does not support VT Tech, so I STAND CORRECTED... Thanks you for that.

I now believe that Toshiba is making a big mistake in offering systems with the P7350, I apparently lucked out the P8400 CPU on the E105-S1402, for it does allow the the VT Tech...  I will go back to my blog and make this notation for all to see.

Respectfully !

Hank Freeman
USA
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

The T6500 doesn't support VT either and it's a very popular cpu in laptops.  One can go to this page on the Intel Support Site, enter a processor number in the search box at the upper right hand corner and see all of the pertinent specs for that specific processor prior to purchasing one or to see what ones current one has.

Occasional Advisor
Hfreeman

[ Edited ]

Look to me like a marketing decision as opposed to a technical decision... Intel sold them these CPU for a song. Too Bad the P7350 does not have Virtual PC capability..  WTHWTThinking !!!

http://ark.intel.com/Default.aspx  - Intel Product Info (CPU Lookup)

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor P8400 (3M Cache, 2.26 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB) - E105-S1402

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor P7350 (3M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB) - E105-S1602

end

Hank Freeman
USA
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

Probably.  But at one time Intel claimed that the T6500 and the P7350 did have VT, but they changed that after users found out that this wasn't correct. 

You might want to place a link to that Intel page in your blog so users can check to see if the cpu in their system (or the one they are thinking about purchasing) has VT or not. 

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I was referring to a generic you can check out your cpu here type link rather than the specific P8400 and P7350 link.  I know that they are the only two available in the E105's, but a lot of people are looking at that thread for general Win 7 info and wouldn't know they could check any intel cpu there. 

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Looks good to me.  I'm sure a lot of people will find it usefull. 

Occasional Advisor
Hfreeman

NEW ITEM:  From another blog

IF you have a Vista System and you are going to UPGRADE it to Windows 7.... It is strongly suggested that you run a Malware scan to make sure there are NO SNAKES in the Browser wood pile.   Here is a link from another blog where the idea was floated.

Never hurts to run a scan with

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

@jerry, You know that is something I am going to put on my favorite blog to be done as well.. I hope Christa performs this task, so as to eliminate the possibility of MaleWare.

Respectfully, 

Hank Freeman
USA