dtotch

Tecra A9-S9016X Windows 7 Update causes NVIDIA drivers to crash

[ Edited ]

After a Windows 7 update last week my laptop can't run with the NVIDIA drivers. I tried the ones from the Toshiba website and from NVIDIA and the default ones that Windows Update wants to install. All of them cause the machine to crash and not be able to startup. I ended up installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 and can reproduce the issue. Are there any drivers for the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 130M that will work with the latest Windows updates? Has anyone else seen this issue? My computer was running great for years until this issue popped up last week. I'm not sure which update causes the problem unfortunately.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Tecra A9-S9016X Windows 7 Update causes NVIDIA drivers to crash

Tecra A9-S9016X

A good rule-of-thumb is never to install device drivers offered by Microsoft's Windows Update. Don't get that driver from nVidia either. The laptop maker often tweaks these chips. So always get device drives from Toshiba here.

Bottom line is it's a bad policy to set Windows Update to Automatic, because you need to screen them.

For you or other viewers, one can roll back a driver directly or get the same result using System Restore.

Restore a driver to its previous version

What is System Restore?

-Jerry