MikeS21

Satellite P305D-S8995E Overheat AFTER Windows 7 Clean Install

It seems that my Satellite P305D suddenly began overheating.  The machince locks up and shuts down.   It only started doing this a month ago right after I did a clean install of Winows 7 x64.  Prior to that, I was running Vista Home Pemium x64 and had no problems with overheating.

All drivers are up to date, and hardware manager shows no problems.  I had originally suspected that this was related to the video hardware, because it usually happened while I was watching a DVD or doing something with a little heavier graphics.  However, it shut down once without out heavy graphics.  The fan seems to be working fine, and I used the compressed air to clear out any clogging that may have occurred, but I'm satisfied this is not a hardware issue.

In surfing the web for ideas, I discovered that Windows 7 64x seems to be causing a lot of overheating the processors in a lot of different machines (not just Toshiba).  One suggested fix was to change the maximum processor state in the advanced power settings to   85% rather than the default 100%.  At any rate, this appears to be related to how Win 7 64x uses the processors of machines that have been upgraded.  My wife bought a 64x laptop that came pre-installed with Win 7 64X, and has had no problems whatsover.

The Satellite P305D has the ATI Radeon™ X1250 Graphics, and the CPU board is an AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core processor.  The system has 4 GB of memory.

Any idea if this is a driver incompatability or what?