Rory
Accepted Solution

Satellite M100 sound not working after installing Windows 7

Everything is working on the M100 after installing Windows 7 except sound.  Can anyone help?  Many thanks.

Rory

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Satellite M100 sound not working after installing Windows 7

From what I can tell Toshiba doesn't support the M100's under WIndows 7 so you will probably have to determine what audio chipset that laptop uses and go to the chipset manufacturer to download an appropriate WIndows 7 driver if they have one available.  Since it uses a RealTek chipset there is a good chance that you will be able to find one on their support site

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

HansCh

Hi Rory,

Not sure whether you managed to fix your problem. I had the same issue. After tinkering and googling around for a solution and also trying different drivers for hours without success, I decided to force install the latest drivers from Realtek. Steps below.

1. Download latest Realtek HD Audio Drivers from Realtek site. Not sure if the link will work. If not just download R2.50 drivers for Windows 7.

http://www.realtek.com/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownType...

2. Unzip the downloaded file.

3. Open Device Manager on your Windows 7. (Shortcut = Win Key + Pause, then click device manager)

4. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers"

5. Right click "HD Audio" or something similar. I can't remember what it was after I fixed the issue. :smileytongue: I think it is the default driver that Windows 7 use for the M100 sound. Right click and select update driver software.

6. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

7. The next step is important. Click "Let me pick from a list of device...."

8. Click "have disk" and browse to the extracted driver folder. Should be xxx\Vista_Win7_R250_x86\Vista.

9. Then select "HDA.inf" and click open.

10. Then click OK. After this it should be pretty straight forward. However, you will get a lot of warnings about unsigned drivers. Just ignore and push forward the driver installation.

11. Reboot after installation.

12. You should have sound on both the internal speakers and any external headphone or speakers.

Hope this solves your problems. Good Luck!!! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Good to know.  How well is Win 7 running on that system? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

HansCh

Quite well actually. No lags or freeze. Aero doesn't affect normal browsing or MS office work. I haven't started installing any bloaty software yet though. I haven't and won't try gaming because of the built-in graphics card. I got this laptop as a spare from my brother. He took my slightly more powerful 3 years old laptop after I got a new one. Good to have both a powerhouse 17" and also a portable 13". :smileyhappy: Specs below.

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
Intel Core Duo T2050 @ 1.60GHz: 
1.5GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 265MHz (4-4-4-12)
Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0)
78GB Hitachi HTS541080G9SA00 ATA Device (IDE): 
MAT**bleep**A DVD-RAM UJ-841S ATA Device
Realtek High Definition Audio
Rory

[ Edited ]

HansCh and Cee_64, Thank You!  After my initial post, I realized that the sound worked fine and that I just needed to toggle some check boxes that were set on the incorrect default.  So, no driver update needed... I thought. 

HOWEVER, recently, I realized that the headphone jack only works when half in.  I assumed it was broken hardware on this old laptop.  Then, I realized that the headphone jack was fine in linux ubuntu 10.04, which I dual boot in to. 

So, I googled the issue and came across.. my initial post, which I completely forgot about.  Scrolled down to see your response many months later.  I downloaded the 32bit exe RealTek 2.51 (not zip file), set a restore point in Windows 7, installed by just clicking on the .exe file and rebooted.  Presto!!!  Headphone jack now fixed. 

So, thank you for posting your instructions, HansCh and thanks, Cee_64, for identifying the fix, too.

To anyone else who is wondering how Windows 7 works on the Satellite M100, it is basically flawless, with this one driver issue aside.  It is faster than XP but still a bit sluggish.  However, Ubuntu 10.04 (installed via Wubi for easy uninstall) is snappier and also works great.. out of the box, unlike Windows 7, which required this drive fix.  Go figure!!  Way to go, Linux community.

I only did this fix so I could load Boxee Media Centre and run movies and movies off my computer to the tv, which required the headphone jack. Boxee is great on both Ubuntu and Win7, but only Win7 allows Netflix. This old laptop is about to become a dedicated media centre running Boxee and XBMC. 

Again, thank you!