Occasional Contributor
Duzall
Accepted Solution

Satellite L550 How To Turn Off Touchpad

I am running Windows 7 and can't find where to turn off touchpad when using mouse. I used to have an option before I downloaded 7 but cannot find it now. My Fn keys do not work anymore . I tried doing what I was told Fn and then F9 but none of my functions keys work (except brightness). I spent over an hour with Tech on phone.. downloaded value added pckg.. nothing seemed to work. I was told he would have a Sr Tech phone me back.. 3 days ago.Help anyone :smileysad:

Occasional Advisor
j0mzki

Re: Satellite L550 How To Turn Off Touchpad

Reinstall the touchpad driver then try the Fn F9 again.

To reinstall the touchpad driver do these steps:

1 click start and in the search box type in app

2 click on toshiba application installer

3 On the toshiba application installer window just click next

4 on the left side of the window it shows the driver for your product.

5 look for the touchpad driver which maybe alps or synaptics then click on install.. follow the prompts to reinstall the driver. Reboot the computer.

Try the Fn F9 again and see if it works now..

by the way, holding the Fn key should bring up the card-looking things on the top portion of the computer called flashcards, if its not showing anything then try to restart the flashcards. Click start and in the search box type in flash  then click on restart flashcards. Now press Fn and again and see if F9 has a flashcard associated with it. Hope this helps.. thanks

peace on earth \m/
Occasional Contributor
Duzall

Hey Jomzki.. I really appreciate you helping me but I'm still stuck. When I type in app  what comes up does not show Toshiba app installer.. it shows Apple Software update.. Web cam app.. Web cam app help and so on.. no Toshiba anything.. The tech had me rebooting flashcards and all sorts of things  ...biggest problem was the language breakdown.. lord knows what I have gotten into now.. any other tips on where to find  app installer? I really appreciate your help

Frequent Advisor
lilmaqi

You said you downloaded windows 7. So you did a clean install using the microsoft version not what toshiba provided? You might want to start from this http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/download.jsp?ct=DL&soid=2475695&ref=EV.

This too. http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/download.jsp?ct=DL&soid=2449771&ref=EV

Occasional Contributor
Duzall

I bought  the laptop with vista but was sent Windows 7 on a disc 4 months later from Toshiba so that is where it came from. I downloaded the links you sent and it didn't change anything. My puter is working ok.. except that when in the middle of typing here or e-mail.. it will jump from where I am typing right into the middle of a previous sentence or another paragraph. I thought it was because the touchpad was being activated by my huge ham hands but that doesn't seem to be the case. All was well until about 3 weeks ago and I can't fix it. Driving me nutso

Frequent Advisor
lilmaqi

[ Edited ]
Occasional Contributor
Duzall

Thanks for the try. The problem is that I have no device settings tab under the mouse properties. I know this should be a simple fix but when the option is not there.. it is frustrating. I used to have the settings there . I had issues like this once before and I went in and set sensitivity and then eventually shut off Touch pad... the problem is.. it aint there anymore... I have looked and searched for hours... Toshiba tech is NO help

Frequent Advisor
lilmaqi

[ Edited ]
Occasional Contributor
Duzall

I really appreciate your help.. I'm not that proficient at this as I'm sure you can tell. I downloaded the link but I chose run and am not sure if I should have saved it or run it.. or where to save it to.  The bottom line is that it didn't work for me.. I can't seem to get it to install..  Would you have any idea why I would have had it once and now it is gone?  Why would I have lost it? 

Occasional Contributor
Duzall

Thank you very much. I managed to figure it out. I had to be running as admin... It's not the best solution because my FN keys are still not working but what you linked me to allowed me to disable the touchpad..  I'll be fine as long as my mouse doesn't crap out on me  but oh well.. at least I can type now... A "senior" tech is supposed to phone me back ( 3 days now) and help me sort out the function keys but for now.. i'm happy   thanks again

Frequent Advisor
lilmaqi

Do it one step at a time. Try to save the alps driver on your desktop. When it is saved, right click it and click run as administrator. When it is done go to control panel if you have an advanced tab. If you dont, try the same procedure with the synaptics.

Occasional Contributor
Duzall

You are a god send..  I've been dickin with this for a week now. I downloaded the alps and it gave me the advanced with the sensitivity option. All is great I can't thank you enough. would happen to have any idea what happened that would have made that option disappear?

Frequent Advisor
lilmaqi

[ Edited ]

Im glad you were able to work it out. Drivers fail sometimes. I dont know how. At least you dont need to wait for a Sr tech's call back now.  ;-)

Occasional Contributor
Duzall

Actually I got a call from Sr tech today(after4 days) and he sorted out my Fn keys so now I can actually turn it off . Thanks for all your help :smileyhappy:

Frequent Advisor
lilmaqi

Great! You're welcome!

andrea099

Duzall, I'm having the same exact problem. What did the Sr. tech advise?

Thanks in advance!

Regular Contributor
Altair

FN hot keys are controlled by Toshiba Value added package.  Just pull it down from the Toshiba Web Site.