orleezy13

Satellite A105-S4104 Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit Upgrade RAID Driver problem

I have a Satellite A105-S4104 which is currently running Vista Home Premium 32 Bit. I ran the Windows 7 upgrade advisor which assured me I could do an in place upgrade. However, when I tried to upgrade today I got an error saying that I needed to uninstall my "TOSHIBA Raid driver". TOSHIBA support told me that this shouldn't be happening and Microsoft told me that I cannot uninstall that driver because it will cause my system to not be able to boot up again. Microsoft said that I should update my RAID driver. Is this right? If so, I can't find anything for my Satellite model. Help me if you can!

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Satellite A105-S4104 Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit Upgrade RAID Driver problem

That system doesn't even have a raid array so it doesn't use a raid driver.  But that is the least of your problems.  Toshiba isn't listing any Windows 7 drivers or utilites for that system which will make running it problematic.  See this page for information on running Win 7 on it.  Notice the asteric next to the A100/105 entry.  You'll need to check your serial number in this link to find out for sure, but the quick answer is if the second digit of your serial number isn't a 7, 8, or 9 then you will have to hunt down your drivers from the chipset manufacturers for WIndows 7 as Toshiba won't be supplying any of them nor will they support your system under Windows 7.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

orleezy13

Re: Satellite A105-S4104 Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit Upgrade RAID Driver problem

Thanks for the input. Where would I go about looking for these then? Also, Microsoft told me that I can do a complete replacement of my OS instead of the in-place upgrade. To your knowledge, is this true / a good idea? Thanks again for your help.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

As I said, you'll need to go to the various chipset manufacturers to get them (Intel, ATI, Marvel, Realtek, etc).  Go into Device Manager to determine what all of your hardware is while you have a working OS.  You can also usefree programs like Belarc Advisor and SIW to assist you in this. The main chipset is the Intel 945GM Express which is a fairly common chipset so drivers for it shouldn't be difficult to find at the Intel Support Site.

Whether it's a good idea or not can only be decided by you, but would be very carefull doing it.  Make sure and back up ALL of your data first.  Make sure you have all of your program installation disks and/or files along with all of the registration numbers/keys just in case. 

If you have enough hard disk space available you could try install Win 7 in a dual boot scenario to test it out prior to making the complete transition to it.  That would give you the chance to see how well it works for you.  You can still find the RC of it on the net to use for testing purposes if you haven't alrready purchased it.  See this site for info on setting up a dual boot system as well as how to remove one of them if needed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

It's not clear to me why Win7 downloads are not available for this model.  I'll investigate and post an update, though I may not have anything until after the weekend.

Jim

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

What is the SECOND Digit of your serial number?  If it's not a 7, 8, or 9 that would explain why the drivers aren't available for it. 

mani2399

Hey I have the same exact problem as yours. Did you ever find a soulution because I have tried everything from updating the bios, updating the drivers, any luck on your part?

Thanks

Manny

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

mani2399 wrote:

Hey I have the same exact problem as yours. Did you ever find a soulution because I have tried everything from updating the bios, updating the drivers, any luck on your part?

Thanks

Manny

As I stated previously, what is the second digit of your serial number?

mani2399

its 4

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Satellite n get Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit Upgrade RAID Driver problem

mani2399 wrote:

its 4

That's why you can't find a driver. That system was built in 2004.  Toshiba is only supporting systems built in 2007 or later.  You probably won't be able to find Win 7 drivers for that system.

JeromeLove

This worked for me. I can not take credit though as I found this on another forum.

thank you, but that wasn't the problem - an IT friend of mine sent me a link with the following info that completely fixed my issue:

http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/Windows-7/A105-s4384-Windows-7-Upgrade/m-p/63755

"It looks like the update is just scanning the Windows\system32\drivers directory and found that the KR10N.sys file was incompatible.  It did not matter that it was not loaded. By moving that file out of the Windows\system32\drivers directory, my install was able to work."

I found the KR10N.sys file in on my harddrive under windows\system32\drivers and made a "drivers" file under my documents and then moved the file into the "drivers" file and restarted the installation.  My install worked like a breeze afterwards!

FYI - my laptop is a Toshiba model  A105-S4384

Thank you for the reply,
Liz