Michigander

SM Bus Controller

Hi all, My computer ended up crashing on me and I had to get a new hard drive, reinstall Windows 7 64-bit, and download all the Toshiba drivers. However, when I go into device manager, the SM Bus Controller is missing a driver. I've looked for the driver on Toshiba's website and I am unable to find it. Is anyone else able to find it? My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite S855D-S5256, Windows 7 64-bit. I really appreciate any help you can offer!!!
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: SM Bus Controller

Satellite S855D-S5256

Best to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. All the drivers and utilities are properly preinstalled. Windows is preactivated.

If you failed to burn recovery discs, you can obtain them from Toshiba.

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

For instructions, see the section Restoring from recovery media, which begins on p. 67 of the User's Guide.

Satellite/Satellite Pro L800/S800 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
Michigander

That could work too, but at this point I already have Windows 7 64-bit installed with all the drivers from Toshiba installed. I'm only missing one driver (sm bus controller) and doesn't really make sense to spend $30-$40 on the recovery disks. I already have the Windows 7 os which I bought from a big box store. I also noticed that you had previously helped someone in the UK get access to the sm bus controller driver for their Toshiba Satellite model. I would greatly appreciate if you could help me not have to spend this additional money (I'm a college student) and have to wait around for the disk(s) to ship.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The SM Bus Controller software is part of the chipset stuff. In your computer that's bundled into the display driver package.

My best guess is that you didn't install the AMD Display Driver prior to all the other drivers. You might clear things up by reinstalling it. Otherwise, you can try a clean install of Windows again if you like.

Because the order of installing drives is problematic, I find it's best to restore to out-of-box.

-Jerry
7LOVER

I bought a Toshiba Satellite C75D-A72223 running Win8. I am going to post my experience with trying to switch over to a dual boot and finally a single boot W7 machine. I will address the issue with drivers for a UEFI laptop that now runs W7. I’ll try to post everything I learned about this but I will likely not respond to any questions as I blew 3 days dealing with this issue. That said from the Sevenforums and Toshiba forums I finally put all the pieces together to make it work and want to share it all. 1. Bought the laptop with win8, I added the Start8 button and that helped a lot but still you can get into some windows and not know how to get out. Win8 does not allow for MSE so you have to buy your own virus software. 8.1 does include it. But 8.1 also has skydrive as a DEFAULT store place. There are many notices of people having their accts turned off from personal photos or documents in their skydrive folder. Clearly it is not private, and MS has admitted to using facial recognition to scan photos in your skydrive, additionally the TOS for skydrive limits speech in your own documents and to top it off, I read that to do an Easy Transfer to migrate to another 8 machine, you cant go pc to pc, you must go thru their skydrive unless you use an aftermarket migration program. Why would they want it to go thru their skydrive? We all know. Next skype, if you add skype to win8 you must use an email to login, you can’t use your profile name to login. Additionally they want you to use you’re a Hotmail as the login for your computer. If your email gets hacked and pw changes you are now locked out of your pc too. I was told by one geek that there are many things turned on to share your data that you need to know w8 to learn where they are to turn them off. These are all bad things. Unless of course you are part of the sheeple then go ahead. I determined that I wanted to learn about 8 but I needed to get back to work so I was going to try a dual boot 7 after 8. This is my story. 2. I wanted a work system (7) and a learn about it os (8) as eventually we will be assimilated so best to know the enemy but in the mean time I’ll try to keep my 7 operational. UEFI is some sort of new bios boot system, I don’t claim to know the technical behind it, just that it is there. You can find out if you have it by going into your bios and in my laptop it was under advanced. I read lots and lots of posts, mostly at sevenforums about creating a dual boot. Most said they worked but I could not for the life of me after 36 hours make it happen. I created multiple GPT (that is the secure boot file system) boot usb OS images using instructions from someone at 7 forums and could not get it to go beyond loading files then look at the windows symbol on a black background. It would just sit there. I had already assigned a partition but it would not begin installation. I even moved around a couple files in the directory as one other said to do as the “real” fix. No joy. I was running USB legacy enabled, secure boot off, and UEFI on. If you run the USB with UEFI off, nothing changes. 3. I tried the standard iso on a dvd and with secure boot off, UEFI switched to CSM legacy enabled, it would start to load, I would get to the screen where you select the partition you want it to go to and it would say it could not load onto a GPT partitioned drive. You can’t format that drive either. So at this point I was almost 30 hours into playing around with this new hardware. It was time to get back to work and I need a new machine to do it. So I decided I would create and image and restore of the Win8 in case I turned it into a veggie and planned to format the drive and load clean 7. 4. Trick was deleting the GPT drive, it is in there, you can’t seem to do it with the normal tools, you need to run cmd line and disk part. I created a nice win7 x64 ultimate iso, you need to run .x64 on this hardware, fairly certain. Then I loaded it up and after you click install it will get you to the next step but you need to run cmd and use diskpart, clean the disk to get GPT drive deleted. Then you can exit out of that and continue the install. It will ask you for the place you want to load it to and then you can select the clean partition and format it and do your regular install. Wallah, win7. However... 5. Drivers on a UEFI laptop may not work with Win7. It is another part of the assimilation. I went to the Toshiba site and the drivers for this laptop in w7 were few, mainly the AMD graphics and SM bus controller thing. Could not find them anywhere. Then some brilliant guy Jhun Mangabat had the solution. First let me say, I added a lot of the drivers from Toshiba one after the other, they seemed to make it function but my windows experience index was… 1. And one is bad. I had a generic graphics driver in there and two yellow icons in my usb controller thing. I searched for no less than 8 hours until I found the gentleman listed above post. He said use drivermax.com. my first thought was spam/affiliate, my 2nd thought was another driver store that never works. I was desperate and decided to check it out, it was not an affiliate link, first good sign, 2nd was the drivermax was free for 2 drivers per day. So I installed it and ran the scan, it found the 2 drivers that had the yellow icons and a dozen others that needed updates. I downloaded the two free ones and it fixed the problem but my index was still a 1 due to graphics drivers. I decided if drivermax saved me from certain death I could dish out $19.99 to get the other drivers. I paid (site not fully compatible with FF26 so use IE or something else) I downloaded and installed all the other updates (ALWAYS SET A RESTORE POINT BETWEEN DRIVERS) you will be prompted to do a restore point before each driver, do it. I had one driver of the dozen or so that caused a problem and needed to do a restore. After all the graphics drivers (my radeon was now recognized as not being generic) were installed, and all the other updates done, I now have a happy laptop with a 4.5 rating. Not bad for a Walmart Toshiba. 6. Summary, if you want 8 and 7, put 7 on first and follow by 8, use diskpart to delete the GPT partition, use drivermax to find those missing drivers, they are the real deal. And thanks to all the Tomshardware, sevenforums and Toshiba forums giving clues to make this happen. I have decided I need to catch up on my work rather than add 8 back on to this machine but I will see about creating a tri-boot Ubuntu, 7 and 8 on another laptop in the future STARTING with 7 first! Good luck!
grtbaldini

Dam son you hit it hard! Nice call on Drivermax, just what I needed as well. I'm not doing dual boot after completing this makeover, others should feel confident to change the OS. I had to purchase a new copy but glad I did.