Occasional Contributor
Msradell
Accepted Solution

Repair installation of windows 7

I have an A505-S6965 in upgraded to windows 7 last fall with no problems.  I now have a problem getting updates from Microsoft to install.  This system is asking me to do a windows 7 repair installation using the windows 7 disk.  However the Toshiba upgrade disk is not recognized for this function.  Any suggestions?

krissyk

Re: Repair installation of windows 7

I am having the same problem with the same laptop.  Any solutions yet?

Occasional Contributor
Msradell

I get some playing around today and figured out a way to do it.

Here are the instructions:

1. Insert your upgrade CD into the computer
  2. Open it to view its contents
  3. Open the Win732 or Win764 folder depending on your system
  4. Then open the Sources folder in that folder
  5. Then run the setup file in that folder

You'll actually be doing another upgrade installation instead of a repair installation but it's the same thing.  All of your old files and settings are retained.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Occasional Contributor
Msradell

Jerry_Lippey wrote:

Satellite A505-S6965 

How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7

Yes they have seen all procedure however it doesn't work with the upgrade disk from Toshiba because there is no setup file in the root directory.  Because of this you do not have an option to run it.  

You must find and start it manually like I documented above.

davedean

I am having a similar problem with Quosmio F45-AV411 that was upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate.

Windows Update will not run and says the service is not started but service is started.

Worked with Microsoft Tech who tried several fixes and finally suggested the system upgrade to restore some obvious corrupted system files. Used the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD to run the system upgrade but it wouldn't complete with the message that setup could not configure Windows 7 on this hardware and rolled back to the old Windows 7 system. This is the same Windows 7 Upgrade DVD that I originally upgraded from Vista with no problem.

Any solutions?