drlabrat

Reinstall Windows 7

I have a Satellite A505-6005 and did not receive a Windows 7 installation disk with purchase.  I need to reinstall Windows 7 but can't figure out how, can someone please help?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Reinstall Windows 7

[ Edited ]

They didn't include Windows install disks or recovery disks with that system, and haven't done so for several years on most models.  You have to create a set of recovery disks from the hidden recovery partition by using the Recovery Disk Creator.  Go to "Start - All Programs - Toshiba - Recovery - Recovery Disk Creator".  Information on using the Hard Drive Based Recovery Process and creating the disks normally begins on or about page 58 to 60 of your User's Guide.  The User's Guide is found on your hard drive in Adobe Acrobat Format and can be downloaded from the Product Support Link at the top of this page.
If you didn't make them and can not do so now you'll need to purchase a replacement set as per this post.
http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/Recovery-media/td-p/9148

Please note that these are NOT an actual Windows Install Disk, but a set of recovery disks that will restore the system to it's factory out of box state.  You can't just install Windows with it due to licensing stipulations from Microsoft.

On many of the newer systems they call if Recovery Media Creator rather than Recovery Disk Creator.  They both amount to the same thing but RMC allows you to create Recovery USB Thumb Drives as well as DVD disks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Travelor

Hello,

You can view your USER MANUAL at this LINK - On Page 62 there are instructions to doing a "Recovery" through the recovery partition stored on your hard drive - This assumes you have not manually formatted and changed the Partitions on your hard drive - Here are the instructions -

REMEMBER - Backup all important files and documents - This procedure will bring your system back to "Factory" level - as if you turned the computer right OUT OF BOX...  ;-)

Make sure the computer is turned off.

powering on the computer.

Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while

operating system, select one at this time. If not, skip to step 4.

If your system offers a choice of Windows® 7 32-bit or 64-bit

executed all data will be deleted and rewritten. Click

continue.

A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery isYes to

Good Luck,

In Christ,

Trav...

jibrone

Hi I have a Satellite L655D-S5050 and did not receive a Windows 7 installation disk with purchase. When get it it was with only one partition ( C: ). I want two partitions , I already try with recovery disk but the options are to returned my computer to previous date. I don't want that . After that I try to switch off and hold down zero key but nothing is happen never switched on. Can you help me with. Thanks

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

Information on how to use the Recovery System starts on page 59 of your user's guide that is found on your hard drive in Adobe Acrobat Format.  If it doesn't work you'll need to contact actual Toshiba Support about it as there is nothing any of us can tell you that will fix it. 

If you had taken the time to actually read your user's guide when you first got your laptop you would have known that the disks were not included and that you needed to create them using the Recovery Media or Disk Creator.  Since you didn't do this and holding down the zero key doesn't work you'll more than likely need to order a set of recovery disks from Toshiba at a cost of $25.  See the very first post in the Recovery Forum here for information on doing this. Please take note that using these disks (or the zero option) will return your systm to it's factory out of box state and will over write any and all settings, documents, files, and other programs you have installed so be sure to back everything up prior to using them.

If all you want to do is change the layout from the three partitions your laptop shipped with (Recovery Boot, Windows, and Recovery Images partitons) to a 4 partition setup you can easily accomplish that without wiping out your existing Windows installation. Windows has a built in partition tool, but it's fairly limited in what it can do.  You can also download the free Partition Wizard and use that to have more control over your partitioning tasks.  http://www.partitionwizard.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

raptor1013

i have a toshiba satellite L655-s5096 and i try to install windows 7 but i get a black screen wth atheros pci and its look for the soft and suddenly i get to read  no boot file name received any suggestions about this problem thank you kindy

bensonsteve47

It's hard to reinstall windows 7 to my Toshiba, and I really don't know what the reason, I study formating a computer or laptops but this one is kinda hard to format.

______

Steve @ laptop bags canada

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

raptor1013 wrote:

i have a toshiba satellite L655-s5096 and i try to install windows 7 but i get a black screen wth atheros pci and its look for the soft and suddenly i get to read  no boot file name received any suggestions about this problem thank you kindy

If you are trying to boot from the Recovery DVD or install DVD you'll need to use the F12 key to enter the boot menu to select boot from the DVD/CD drive.  The information on doing that is covered in you User's Guide.  Also make sure you are attempting to boot to the FIRST Recovery disk as it is the only one that is bootable. 

If that isn't the problem you'll need to provide more details on the situation.  Remember that we aren't there looking at the screen so it can be difficult for us to diagnose without enough information. 

bensonsteve47 wrote:

It's hard to reinstall windows 7 to my Toshiba, and I really don't know what the reason, I study formating a computer or laptops but this one is kinda hard to format.

______

Steve @ laptop bags canada

It's actually quite simple to reinstall Windows on a Toshiba.  How you go about it depends on the type of install media you are using.  If you simply want to return the system to it's factory out of box state, follow the instructions for using the Recovery Partition or Recovery Disks that you created.  Information for doing that is covered in your User's Guide.  See my previous posts for more details about that.  Since you didn't bother to take the time to provide your exact model I have know way of telling you what page the information is found on. 

If you are using a regular Windows installation disk instead of the recovery options provided by Toshiba you simply place the install CD or DVD into the drive, boot to it, then follow the instructions.  The Windows install will format the disk for you. You'll need to use the F12 key to enter the boot menu to select boot from the DVD/CD drive.  Once again, information on doing that is covered in you User's Guide.

Make sure that you backup all of your data and information prior to doing any of the above as it will all be erased during either process. 

Occasional Contributor
Len1733

I had to replace the hard drive in my A505-6890 Toshiba Sattelite. Best Buy replaced it and re-installed the software using the recovery disks that they made for me at time of purchase. Now I am getting a message that my copy of Windows 7 isn't genuine. Toshiba wants $35 to provide me with a new activation key. Best Buy is going to see what they can do. The activation key no longer shows on the bottom of the laptop(great place to put it).

lgb21002

My 18 month old Satelitte computer came pre-installed with Windows 7 64 Bit, and a Windows 7 32 Bit Recovery DVD.

As stated in the manual, I created the Recovery DVDs required for Windows 7 64 bit for future use.

This weekend, I had to re-install Windows 7, so decided to use the recoverd DVDs that I had created, and all appeared to install correctly, as it asked me to remove the DVD. However, when the computer was at the "Setup is starting services' stage, it flagged an error message stating that "the computer restarted unexpectally..... To install Windows, click OK to restrat the computer, and then restart the installation".

This I tried for a second time, only to get the same message,

I decided to use the supplied 32 Bit recover DVD, and thi sinstalled without any problem !!!!

My problem is, I wish to use Windows 7 64 Bit !!

I have contacted Toshiba, but they state that it would be a premium service, and also contacted the store of purchase, which also stated a premium service.

When I created the 64 bit recovery DVDs (as per the manuals instructions), how was I know that these would be unuable 18 months down the line - otherwise I would have contacted Toshiba/store to supply workabale copies FOC.

How do I re-install Windows 7 64 bit, with the medium I have, or am I entitled to be supplied FOC a workable installation DVDs (prepared to send the DVDs that I have created for examination)

jayz

Do i have to send my laptop or can i get help on line to repair my computer from a password issue

Super Advisor
miker643

If it's a Windows login password, here's a utility and intructions on how to reset your Windows password. It works with Windows 7 just fine.

If it's your BIOS password, I'm sorry but we can't help you. As result of there being so many stolen notebooks, it's against our forums policy to advise people how to circumvent BIOS passwords.

In that case you'll have to take it in for servicing:

Locate a Service Center

Mike

andrimitum

Help?

I had a boot sector failure on my hard drive (PSC08U-02D037). The computer would not boot at all so I could not perform the recovery option plus the hard drive was pooched so what would be the point. 

I made a boot usb and pulled all of my important information off including the Recovery Boot,  and Recovery Images. However silly me, I forgot to label them and write down what the drive letter was soooo.

could someone tell me what drive letter the Recoery Boot and Recovery Images were supposed to be and give me a partial list of which files (and folders) were on each so I can place them in the right spot on my new drive.

I think after doing that I should be able to do a recovery holding down the 0 while booting. I hope anyway.

Thanks,

If that fails I will order a recovery disk but I already tried and there seems to be a problem with shipping to my address, so I might have to get creative.

thanks,

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

You'll probably find it easier to use Clonezilla to clone the old hard drive to the new one, including the recovery partition.

andrimitum

Except part of the boot sector is damaged so it hangs if I accidentally hit it.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Well, the recovery partition doesn't have a drive letter. It's a hidden partition. Instead of ordering the Recovery Disks I would just find someone with an actual Windows 7 install disk of the same type as yours (64 bit Professional from what it looks like) and do a clean install from that disk and use the Product Key from the sticker on the bottom of the laptop to activate it. Then install the drivers, utilities, etc. from the Toshiba Support Site and have a better install than from the recovery image.

You can try doing an internet search to see if anyone has posted a way to go about manually setting up the recovery disks from the recovery images from the partition. I haven't seen anyone having success doing it, but that doesn't mean that someone hasn't.

But then, I always make sure and make 2 copies of the Recovery Disks as soon as I start setting up a new computer for customers, family, or friends.

andrimitum

Ok, thanks cee64,

I will see what I can find and if nothing I will try to find a Windows 7 Proffesional disk as you suggested,

Thanks again,

Abee

Dear cee_64, I am havingthis same problem, other having this problem IWindowswon;t re-install, goes to black screen) you are not alone.  I have tried everything short of formatiing the disk to fix it. Can't even get to a prompt that would let me do this even with a brand new windows 7 dvd.  It always boots tot he black screen with mouse cursor.  If this is some sort of toshiba security mechanism to keep people form pirating software, I would be very upset.  I have 25 years inthe it business installing everything from desktops, to geo-clustered 8 processor servers using synchronous replicated storage for VMware SRM, and I have never run into anything as much as a PITA as this.  We are going out to buy a new HP laptop right now.