ShelliWatson

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

Realtek RTL8100E/8101E fast ethernet network adapter V1.02 (060510)

PXE:MOF:exiting PXE ROM

This is the message I'm getting when I turn on my computer. It just keeps repeating itsself over and over. I went into the setup menu and it's booting from the CD/DVD drive. I don't have the Win 7 CD that comes with the computer so I can't boot it from CD... wtf do I do? ? ? !!!

b0baex3

Re: PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

[ Edited ]

I have the exact same problem!

At first the blue screen appeared saying it would shut itself down

When I tried to restart it a black screen with that same message appeared over and over repeating itself

If I try to press any buttons like enter or esc or random ones it just beeps loudly

The only thing I can do that takes me away from the screen is ctrl+alt+delete

But that just takes me back to the start up screen

I have no idea what to do and I really don't want to lose all the stuff on my hard drive..

Is there any way to fix the problem without losing everything on my laptop?

Will doing any of those boost things from LAN to HD or CD or whatever erase everything?

ugghh im so computer challenged ):

Pleasee helppp!!!!

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Sounds like the hard drive has failed.  Go into the bios and see if the hard drive is listed there.  If it is you need to post back with any info on the hard drive as well as the EXACT and COMPLETE model number of your laptop so we can tell you how to proceed. There is still a fairly good chance that the data can be recovered, but only if you act quickly.

If the hard drive is not listed in the bios you need to try removing it and then re-inserting it into the drive bay to make sure it is making good contact.  Since you couldn't bother to take the extra 5 seconds it takes to post the model number we can't tell you specifically how to do it.  You might be able to find your model listed here to see if it can help you accomplish this. 

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Contributor
Sublime14

That might be 3 things:

1. HDD connections are loose, it means you need to reseat the HDD.

2. HDD is not set as the primary bootable device on BIOS. You can load up the default settings on your BIOS.

3. If both steps above has been performed already, HDD has gone bad already and needs to be replaced.

lml_studio

[ Edited ]

I have a Satellite L505D-LS5005 - I have purchased it from a friend that could not get the computer to boot up.  I checked the HDD and it seemed to be dead.... It will not boot up.  Nor would it open when I put it into an external case and tried to open it on my desk top unit.  It hung up my computer so I replaced the HDD.  I am getting the errors -

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

No bootable device --insert boot disk and press any key.

I am getting the message when I have the Windows XP disk in the drive.

I am getting the message when I have the DOS Boot CD in the drive.

And I am getting the message when I try and load the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools.  The computer will not boot nor can I get a C: prompt.

Thanks for your help!  I hope that I have given you all the information that you need.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

Check your boot order to make sure that the CD/DVD drive boots before the hard drive and that Network Boot is last on the list.  You can also try hitting the F12 key when you power it up to go to the boot menu and select your CD/DVD drive to boot to it. The PXE messages means that it's trying to boot from the network instead of your Hard Drive or CD/DVD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

chriswizzy

my model number is PSLC8U-03701Q (L305D-S5934)the problems listed above are the same problems happening to my laptop i bought a new hard drive thinking that was the issue i just replaced it but still the samething. the hdd was.blank now im trying to put vista. please help?
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

To install Vista to a new hard drive you have to boot to the DVD drive.  To do that you need to hit the F12 key when prompted to during the boot process with the install or first recovery DVD in the drive then follow the prompts.

Stepharrison

I know this is old, but I'm having the same problem with my nb 255-n250.
My model no. PLL2PU-00901L. Please help.
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Your answer is the exact same one that has been already posted in the thread.  Go back and read the entire thread and you'll know what to do.

icebergwtq

[ Edited ]

Got the same problem, but your solutions don't seem to apply.

I'm getting the error message on my Toshiba Portege Z835-330, serial number XXXXXXXXX.  This is the Ultrabook with the 128gb SSD, and it cannot be opened by a customer without special tools and, I think, voiding the warranty.

I'm getting this error intermittently - sometimes I can boot, sometimes not.  When I can boot, every check I can run on the disk shows clean.  This leads me to believe I may have a loose cable or a short of some sort.

Suggestions?

When I called Toshiba tech support, I got a total runaround - the CST hadn't even heard of the Toshiba Ultrabooks - or that's what he said.  Then he transferred me to another number who told me to call Toshiba Tech Support.

[moderator edit to remove serial number] 

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

First, please edit your post to remove your Serial Number.  It isn't needed and should NEVER be posted in a public forum.  No support person would ever need or ask for the serial number for any reason in a public forum.  They might ask you to send it via a PM, but only do that if you know the person is an actual employee of the company (like Jim, the admin here sometimes requests it to assist users).  NONE of the rest of us are Toshiba Employees and have no need or use for your serial number.

Next, there is no such model made by Toshiba.  By any chance are you referring to the Z835-P330?  

I'm not familiar with those models so I have no idea about what it takes to get to the hard drive on them.  From reading the User's Guide it does appear that it is somewhat sealed and that taking it apart yourself would more than likely void your warranty.  With that in mind it would be best to have it looked at by a Qualified Service Center as there is nothing you can do from the outside other than make certain the boot order has the hard drive (or SSD) first.  Other than that it would need to be disassembled for any diagnostic work. 

Finally, the problem you are having is definitely related to the hard drive (or SSD).  Either the drive is bad, the cable is bad, the connection is loose, the motherboard is bad, or something else is causing the drive to either not startup or not be recognized.  Either that or the bios has the drive later in the boot order than the network. 

hawaiinavy

I just got the L775D-7107 less then a month ago and I have the PXE-E61 error. I checked hard drive pulling it out and putting it back in. it found it but now it takes 45 min for windows to load.

JohnWingateII

My laptop is a L505 - ES5010

I tried everything, but it says no bootable device. I read the whole thread. I made sure to boot from CD/DVD thing. Im not sure exactly if my hardrive is visible. I'm sure its the one that says HDD. 

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

JohnWingateII wrote:

My laptop is a L505 - ES5010

I tried everything, but it says no bootable device. I read the whole thread. I made sure to boot from CD/DVD thing. Im not sure exactly if my hardrive is visible. I'm sure its the one that says HDD. 

Go into the bios and see if the hard drive is showing up there.  If not, you need to remove the hard drive access door on the bottom of the laptop (see the User's Guide for more details on where that is), remove the drive, check for any damage to the connecters, plug it back in, replace the cover, then see if it shows up or not.  If it still doesn't show up then there is a 99.9% chance that the hard drive has failed and you'll need to replace it. 

JohnWingateII

Ok. Ill try that. Is it the hard drive the one that says HDD? Also, my F8 key won't work to boot in safe mode. Finally, I tried the hold 0 key thing. My files load and windows starts, but it goes black after start up.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

Hard Disk Drive.  Is that a clue?

If the system is borked enough, you might not be able to boot into safe mode.  But the fact that you needed to ask if HDD refers to your Hard Drive tells me you aren't computer literate enough to be tackling this.  Do yourself a big favor and either take it to a repair shop or to a more knowledgeable friend/colleague/classmate/etc. and have them diagnose this for you.  Not meaning to be rude or condescending, but this is well beyond your capabilities. 

If you insist on doing this yourself, then start using Google to search for answers that are already posted on various support sites that cover how to diagnose this issue, as well as for common computer related terms.  All of the information you need is already out there on the web on hundreds (if not thousands) of website and forums.

JohnWingateII

Well, a simple yes that what it stands for would've sufficed. I'm pretty literate. Just not in that sense. I was just making sure, because of the fact I'm not an expert and I was very stressed. I mean obviously I going to send it in, but I wanted to know if I had any hope. Thanks anyway though. 

sgar78

Hi,

I also get the same message with my Qosmio F60-136 laptop, bought 18 months ago. Here is a chronology of what happened:

- My laptop worked well during 16 months, but to give it a bit of boost, I decided, to replace the original HDD disk with a SSD disk. Bad idea?

- 2 months ago, I bought a SSD (OCZ Vertex 4) to replace the original HDD

- Everything worked well during 6 weeks. The velocity increase was just amazing!

- One day, after 6 weeks of use, I got this mysterious message: "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable"

- I immediately thought the SSD was dead: Here is what I did to troubleshoot:

- Plug the old HDD into the SATA i/f => OK, can boot from it

- Plug the new SSD into the eSATA i/f => OK, (!) can boot from it

- Update and reset BIOS, and plug new SSD into SATA => NOK, can't boot from it. PXE-E61

- Re-install new OS on new SSD via eSATA and then plug it into SATA => NOK, PXE-E61

- I contacted OCZ support, who proposed me to replace my SSD

- 3 days ago I received a brand new SSD, and... hit the same problem!

- I also checked the new SSD worked properly in another laptop => OK

Now I come to the conclusion that the issue comes from the SATA controller from my laptop and not from the SSD.

However it's hard to understand that the controller still works for the original HDD (SATA 2) and not for a new SSD (SATA 3), whereas it had worked with the SSD.

Any ideas to solve this problem?

Is it necessarily a hardware issue? Can it be repaired? Or is the only solution to change the mother board (= there is no solution!)

Thanks!

jimdixi4

hello  everyone. first  remove  your net card or disable it. this worked  for me after  doing everything that you tried  previously. good  luck