blankslate
Accepted Solution

NB205 and the software Wireless Communication Switch

I have just upgraded my NB205-N210 from Windows XP to Windows 7. After running all the relevant Windows Updates and the Toshiba Software Installer for Windows 7, just about everything works great. (Note: my function keys do work in conjunction with the Flashcards utility.)

The one problem is wireless. Some people have posted a related problem, but I think I can pin down the source more precisely. Fn+F8 cannot enable wireless, and Flashcards give the error "Wireless communication is disabled. Please turn on the Wireless communication switch." The NB205 does not have a physical switch to turn on the wireless hardware. In Windows XP, the NB205 turned wireless on and off through a software switch. Is there a version of this software switch for Windows 7? If not, does anyone know a workaround?

(One more note, I have also tried uninstalling the adapter, but that made no difference.)

Regular Advisor
jnjroach

Re: NB205 and the software Wireless Communication Switch

Check here in this thread....

http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/Windows-7/NB205-no-function-keys-in-Windows-7/td-p/55658

There is an actual FlashCard exe that enables the ability to turn Wireless on and off...

HTH,

Jeff

blankslate

Unfortunately, I have seen that thread, and the utility that you linked there doesn't solve the problem for me. FlashCards is set up just fine on my system, and my function keys work. If I hit Fn+F8, the FlashCards utility tells me that the Wireless communication switch is turned off. The NB205 does not have a hardware communication switch. I am looking for software similar to that which I had on XP that enabled the wireless device.

Regular Advisor
jnjroach

I have to the latest TVAP and the FlashCard Utility installed, when I press FN F8 I get the same type of interface that we did in XP, from that I can enable (turn on) or Disable (turn off) WiFi and Bluetooth in software.

Have you installed the Hardware Setup Utility (HWSetup)?

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/util_hwsetup_TC40074000A.exe

If so... Click on the start orb and type hwsetup and click on the LAN setup TAB, on the bottom of the control panel there is a Wireless Communications Switch, make sure it is set to ON.

If that doesn't work I would go ahead and uninstall TVAP, the FlashCards Utility and re-install TVAP first and then re-install the FlashCards Utility.

HTH,

Jeff

CB5525

I have the same issue with my NB-205 netbook. Everything was fine under XP.  I did a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium and installed all of the software utilities and drivers from the Toshiba site.

Pushing the "Fn" key does bring up the Flash Cards on screen and everything works except F8. It is almost as if the Flash Cards utility is not able to read the status of the Atheros wireless adapter.  I did install the Atheros drivers from the Toshiba site.

I too have tried uninstalling TVAP and FlashCards and reinstalling both. I did not see a FlashCards utility for my exact model NB205-312BL but I found one for another NB205 which is working.

I know of a way to disable the wireless using Windows but I would prefer to use the integrated FlashCards utility.

thanks, Chris

CB5525

I have also installed the HWSetup utility and it reports that the wireless communication switch is "on", under the LAN tab.

It looks like the FlashCards utility is not able to see this setting

thanks, Chris

Regular Advisor
jnjroach

I'm at a loss...I have the NB205-311/w which is White Version of yours, so our machines are identicle in hardware. I installed the FlashCard Utility that I linked to, which is the NB205-324/w.

I installed TVAP first then the HWSetup then FlashCard utility all Windows 7 versions....

blankslate

So, my fault, but I had not installed the BIOS update until now. It appears that my problem has been solved! Thanks! People experiencing this problem may want to update the bios.

CB5525

Story Checks Out.... updating the BIOS does indeed correct the issue

THANK YOU!

EphesiansSix

Confirmed again - flashing BIOS fixed the FN-F8 problem described here. Thanks all :smileyhappy:

qm4n76

I have same problem with my NB 205-N210, I Upgrade from windows xp to windows 7 ultimate but Fn key itsn't function, I cant use my wifi to conect, its always disable..,but now I found a solution, this is my step

1. I'm download & install ACPI Flash BIOS version 2.10 for mini notebook NB200/NB205 (PLL20U/23U/25U/28U)(v2.10; 06-25-2010; 4...

2. Im install util_tvap_TC00214700M (version 1.2.33

3. then Install Toshiba Flash Cards Support Utility for Windows Vista/7 (32/64) from here: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=246476...

now my NB205-N210 Fn key its going function & my wifi is enable and works great....:manhappy: :manhappy: :manhappy:

Gaiteiro

I had the same problem (Fn+F8 not working) and I solved that following these steps:

- Download these softwares from http://www.csd.toshiba.com (according my version) and install them:

ConfigFree for Windows 7

Atheros Wireless LAN Driver for Windows 7

- Then Restart Flash Cards

Start>All Programs>TOSHIBA>Utilities>Restart flash cards

- Press Fn

Will appear on your screen the Fn functions to switch on or off

NOTE: always when you need to switch it again you will need to Restart Flash Cards

fixitman

Hello

I just picked up a nb205 n210 second hand. The netbook came with Win XP installed so an update was in order.

I installed 2 gig of memory and installed Win 7 Pro on a partiton I created keeping the original OS and back up installs intact.

( shrink C: drive and created a 40 gig partion for 7)

After installling the OS (Win 7 Pro), I installed the windows 7 drivers and software from Toshiba support But was not able to get the FN + F8 keys to turn the wifi on or off. I then installed all the updates from MS for the OS, including all optional and their updates. Still , .. no joy. If I uninstall the TAVP I can adjust the brightness and volume although without the GUI I had with the XP installation. 

Having read a slew of threads on the subject, I  got to thinking... I had turned the wifi off in  XP . So I shutdown Win 7 booted into Xp turned the wifi on with the FN hot key , rebooted into win 7 and ... the wifi was on. working.. I can't turn the wifi off under win7 .

How about That!

so \Back to trying to get it to work properly. But I have got it working and am posting this response using it.

I'm thinking of installing XP and alll it's updates and then installing win 7 as an upgrade... Maybe that'll work.. ??