ellinj

NB205 Windows 7 RTM

Hi,

I am thinking of installing Windows7 RTM on a NB205.  There are numerous updates for windows7 listed on the toshiba site, are they all required? What is the minimum that I should install? Any pitfalls?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: NB205 Windows 7 RTM

I recommend waiting.  I don't think all of Win 7 drivers have been released yet and some of the ones that have been aren't functioning properly. 

And specifically WHICH NB205 do you have?  There are several different models making it impossible to know if all of the specific drivers and utilities for yours are available. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

ellinj

I have a

NB205-N310/BN

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

A quick look at the available Win 7 drivers didn't turn up anything that appears to be missing, but since I don't have one I might have overlooked something.

While I think that a lot of early adopters are going to have problems till all of the driver issues have beed sorted out, you could always install Win 7 in a dual boot scenario to test it out.  You have a big enough hard drive to install it along with the XP that is already on it so that wouldn't be a problem.  This site has several guides on doing just that as well as other dual boot scenarios.  Since you wouldn't be able to do an in place upgrade from XP to W7 anyway this won't be a wasted effort.  That site also shows how to safely remove XP after Win 7 is installed when (and if) you decide that you wish to go exclusively with Win 7.

I would recommend upgrading to the full 2gig of ram that system can handle prior to installing Win 7 though.  As always you should purchase Kingston KTT ram for it as other brands (as well as Kingstons KVR line) don't always work in Toshibas and aren't guaranteed to do so. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Regular Advisor
jnjroach

I've been running Windows 7 on my NB205 since June, RTM since early August, I have full functionality, even though it is in software rather than hardware (i.e. - the special FN Functions). I upgraded to 2 GB of RAM but Windows 7 ran fine on 1 GB as well. After you install Windows 7, go over to the Intel site and download the latest 945 video driver dated 9/15/2009 and it will give you better video performance.

HTH,

Jeff

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

There you go.  Someone who has actually done it. 

ellinj

So are you running stock w7 with the exception of the video driver?  Did you install anything else? There appears to be wireless, bluetooth, configfree value add some other utilities on the download site.

Regular Advisor
jnjroach

I have installed all of the Toshiba Windows 7 drivers and utilities (except ConfigFree, its cool but uses a lot of resources) and the XP camera software which works fine on Windows 7. The 945 vid driver I downloaded from Intel.

HTH,

Jeff

Occasional Advisor
Hfreeman

Excellent !!

Congratulations !!

end...

Hank Freeman
Senior Data/Systesm DBA-DW Architect
USA
ellinj

Just installed win7 pro, the only utility I have installed so far is the toshiba value add pack.  Is there a way to get the function keys to work?  The card utility looks to be a pain in the but. Also, when I try and turn off wireless, I get a message that Wireless communications is disabled, please turn on the wireless communication switch.  I haven't installed the wireless driver yet, so that may be it. 

I am dual booting so I can go back to xp untill I get everything sorted out.

Regular Advisor
jnjroach

In Windows 7 the only way to turn on/off WiFi is using FlashCards, you have to configure FlasshCards to open on Mouse Over...

Jeff

Occasional Advisor
Hfreeman

[ Edited ]

Please consider reviewing my blog on the E105-S1402... It may be helpful in specifically dealing wtih Window 7...

E105-S1402 ( Windows 7) upgrade Q & A ( Started:7-August-2009)

@Jnjroach - Please provide more detail about what you mean by FlashCards.  Thanks

end.

Hank Freeman
USA
Regular Advisor
jnjroach

When you install the TVAP one of the utilities is the FlashCards app, it does not open by mouse clicks with-out going into settings and enabled it. This will allow WiFi and Bluetooth enable and disable.

Jeff

Occasional Advisor
Hfreeman

FLASHCARDS !!

Excellent, I did not know about that...  THANKS... I am also going to post this info in my E105 Post as well

end..

Hank Freeman
USA
Ashot

Hi!

I have mini motebook NB200 – N312 and use Windows 7.

I alredy install: Toshiba Components Coomon Driver from util_tvap_TC00214700G and util_hotkey_TC40025700F.

But Fn key not workin. :smileysad:

Please help me solved this problem. Thanks a lot.

Regular Advisor
jnjroach

As was mentioned in the above post for need to use the Utility called FlashCards for some of the FN keys (Wireless specifically)

Ashot

Let me clean up my question.

The Flash Cards utility works absolutely correct. But!

Not working Fn key: No reactions from system when I press Fn. 

Occasional Advisor
Hfreeman

@jnjroach & Ashot

I understand this is a NB205 issue but for whatver it is worth, I tested all of the FN key and associated functions and I could not produce any reported problems.  My system is an !105-S1402 and If I had the issue on Vista 64- Home Prem, I did not recognize it ... Now that I am on Windows 7 everything seems to be working as documented.. I know I have all the Toshiba Updates applied, so I may never experiences it on Vista and now on Windows 7-64 Ultimate (RTM)..   However, I am trying to help...

That having been said, have you re-applied all your FN and Keyboard related updates along with any BIOS updates?

If not got through the list of specific updates that you believe are related.  Who know this may hlep, Sorry I just could not reproduce the error.

end.

Hank Freeman
USA
Regular Advisor
jnjroach

Not all of the FN keys work in Windows 7, specifically Wireless and Bluetooth, Volume Control, Zoom, I've not tried sleep and hibernate...the ones that don't work in hardware, you have to use the FlashCards

Jeff

Occasional Advisor
Hfreeman

@Jeff

Not all of the FN keys work in Windows 7, specifically Wireless and Bluetooth, Volume Control, Zoom, I've not tried sleep and hibernate...the ones that don't work in hardware, you have to use the FlashCards

This problem you are reporting MAY BE very specific to your NB205.... Because I have full function Key and Flashcard capbilities.  Meaning everything is working on my E105-S1402... It did not originally work but when the 09-Setp-2009 Windows 7 updates came in from Toshiba,  everything like audio volume started to work.  This weekend I started using a new HP Laser Bluetooth mouse with my system and it is exceptional. 

The only suggestion I have is compare the updates for Window7 for my system to your and see if there is anything MISSING relative to the Window 7 updates from Toshiba for the NB205.  If you find I have something you NB205 does not, then call support and request a status on the updates like the one's I have that you may have found missing.

I wish there was something else I could do or offer you to get this functionality to work. The only comment of substance is that MINE IS Working as it is suppose to, which means it can and that could be a leverage point with Toshiba support that you should use.

Good Luck !!!

Respectively

Jeff

Hank Freeman
USA