Stepha
Accepted Solution

Microphone does not work in Windows 7

Hey 

I have a problem with my microphone. I don't use it very often but I've recently noticed that my microphone isn't working anymore although all my settings seem to be correct and windows says it works fine.

I tried everything but I couldn't find a solution for my problem. I started thinking that it might have to do with Windows 7 that got installed on my laptop a few months ago.

Can somebody please help me?

Btw if it could be of any use I have a Satellite laptop L350

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Microphone does not work in Windows 7

[ Edited ]

There are four different USA models of L350, specifically what model do you have, like Satellite L350-ST2121? In addition, what is your model's Part Number, like PSLD0U-04F014. You can find this info on the Toshiba label on the bottom of your computer. As well, are you running the Windows 7 32bit or 64bit edition? You should always give us this info when you post a problem here

When you updated to Windows 7, did you do a clean/custom install of Windows 7 closely following these directions, and using this utility?

How to Custom Install Windows 7 and add Toshiba-provided drivers & utilities with the Toshiba Softwa...

Toshiba Software Installer for Windows 7

You could just try running the above utility and see if this resolves your problem. Let us know what happens and/or get back to us with all the above info.

Mike

Stepha

[ Edited ]

Yes I'm aware that there are 4 different types but I have a European version and that only has L350, 

the model number is PSLD0E and I have a 32bit Windows 7.

I've already searched the European Toshiba website but I haven't found any solution for my problem,

that's why I came here.

I'll probably have to download some kind of new driver from the European site because I didn't installed Windows 7 as it is told here. I just don't know what I exactly have to do.

So I would be very thankful if you could help me with that. 

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

You can use the drivers from this site for the Satellite L350-ST2121- PSLD0U. The part number is the same as yours except for the U on the end, which stands for USA. The E on the end of your part number stands for Europe. This means that the above system and yours are essentially identical, from a hardware perspective.

The European site appears NOT to have a full set of Windows 7 32bit drivers, so you are probably better off using the USA site:

Satellite L350-ST2121 - PSLD0U Downloads

First, click on 'Start' and type in   msinfo32.exe   and click on this file. In the 'System Summary' you first see, look on the right hand side for 'BIOS Version/Date' and make sure you have the latest BIOS v1.50 update. If not, download this file to your desktop and double click to begin installation and carefully follow the instructions below:

ACPI Flash BIOS version 1.50 for Satellite (Pro) L305/L355

How to update the BIOS on Toshiba notebooks

Next, Toshiba laptops are notoriously finicky about using only Toshiba supplied hardware drivers. For this reason, I recommend disabling automatic updates and only doing manual updates. Click on 'Start - All Programs - Windows Update', on the menu at left click on 'Change settings', under 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu at right, choose 'Never check for updates (not recommended)', and click 'OK'. Then only do manual updates, check them very carefully, and never let Windows Update change any hardware drivers.

Then, download and install 1st the hardware drivers and utilties; and 2nd the Toshiba utilities and software. Download these files and double click to install them in this order, reboot as requested.

1) Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility for Windows 7 (32/64)

2) Intel Matrix Storage Manager for Windows 7 (32/64)

3) Intel Robson Technology Driver for Windows 7 (32/64)

4) Intel Display Driver for Windows 7 (32)

5) Realtek Audio Driver for Windows 7 (32/64)

6) All other hardware drivers and utilities

If you are unsure what WiFi card you have in your system, use the method below to find out.

How to identify an unknown device (e.g. Wireless LAN module)

Now, move on to the Toshiba utilities and software (these will be in English). Again, download and double click to install in this order, reboot as requested.

1) Toshiba Value Added Package for Windows Vista/7 (32)

2) All other Toshiba utilities and software

Please let us know how it works out and/or if you have any problems. Good luck.

Mike

Stepha

My microphone is fixed, thank you very much for your help

khayom9c

Hi,

I have Toshiba Satellite M305-S4907. I upgraded my windows vista to windows 7 after changing my windows my mic and camera does not work. When try to use Web camera it says "Locked by another application" and also microphone does not work either. Could you please help me how to solve these problems

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards,

Khayom K.

juansal_2000

Hi my mic is not working, same symptoms as others post!

Does the solution gave by Miker643 works for a Satellite A660 (intel core i3)?

Please help!!

juan

juansal_2000

Hi,

My mic is not working!  have the latest Bios and realtek  drivers versions, tried windows diagnose tools and cant find the problem, like others post it suddenly stopped working, dont know what to do...

My pc specification are:

Windows 7 Home premium

Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack1 built 7601

x64-based PC

Intel Core i3 CPU M380

Bios version Toshiba 2.20

Satellite A660

it seems that the solution provided by mike, of upgrading many drivers seems to work, but i dont know wich chipset intel and others correspond to my pc, can some body help please

please Helpp!