Occasional Advisor
jhvance
Accepted Solution

Mass Storage Controller Driver

I upgraded the Vista (SP2) Home Premium OS to Win7 Ultimate (32-bit) on my X205-SLi5 with relatively few hitches or glitches in the process, and while I've found a few problems that so far remain unresolved (e.g., the sound/subwoofer issue, and a tendency toward an occasional crash that I think may be due to the Nvidia 8600M GT graphics driver) it's generally running okay.

There is one element in Device Manager which continues to display the exclamation point icon, however -- the "Mass Storage Controller" has no drivers installed.  This is associated with the "Intel  82801 PCI Bridge - 2448" (if viewed as "devices by connection") that has 2 companions: 'SDA Standard Compliant Host SD Controller' and 'Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller'.  After the OS upgrade installation, I installed everything the Tosh download webpage identified for this specific model, including the principal Win7 storage-related driver (for DVD & HDD, filename: patch_storage_TC00233600A.exe).  After reboots and seeing the exclamation point for this entry persisted, I changed the properties of that installation file to execute the program in Vista compatibility mode and attempted the installation again.  No joy, and there are still no drivers for this particular entry.  If I agree to let Device Manager search the Web for an appropriate driver, it returns without finding anything -- haven't tried to check Intel's site directly for a generic driver as I'd think Tosh would have tailored their version to the specific hardware for this model so I'm leary of a generic driver.

Does this really represent an issue of some concern, or does it essentially represent an artifact that will be cleared up in due course with a subsequent driver release?  If it is an issue of concern, how do I resolve it and get the proper driver(s) installed?

Regular Contributor
smitty1938

Re: Mass Storage Controller Driver

Go to this Intel site and see if it will identify your needed drivers. It did for me.

http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm?iid=dc_spotlight_home1

Occasional Advisor
jhvance

Thanks for the suggestion and the link -- it identified an updated wireless/WiFi driver but not the mass storage controller driver.  The WiFi driver download page also recommends using the OEM version rather than the generic version, and as that part of the laptop is working well I'll defer on an update using the generic version and see how long it takes Tosh to update their version.

The only other things it noted were "unknown" (and unsupported) graphics, audio/desktop and wired networking components, with the "more information" link again recommending the OEM version of whatever driver was needed.  Still, an interesting site and one I've now bookmarked.

Although there is definitely a problem with Win7 periodically crashing on this machine (Action Center has about 35 unresolved/pending events since the upgrade 2 weeks ago), each time Windows wants to report back to MS following a crash I'm allowing it in hopes that there will be some patch or fix eventually.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite X205-SLi5 

"Mass Storage Controller" has no drivers installed.

The funny-looking marks in Device Manager make no difference. What devices do not work?

If the card reader doesn't work, try this driver.

TI Card Reader Driver for Windows XP/Vista/7 (32/64)

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
jhvance

Jerry -- Thanks, that did it.  I had already downloaded that file and THOUGHT I'd installed it as part of the post-upgrade Tosh-associated updates, but guess I must have somehow skipped over it.  This was my failure to rely upon short-term memory instead of actually marking the files off of a checklist (and do I feel a little stupid as a result, or what?).

You've helped me several times before in the old Compuserve/WUGNET fora years ago, so thanks for continuing to help us idiots (or at least this one) when the brain glitches arise!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You've helped me several times before in the old Compuserve/WUGNET fora years ago..

I'll bet you're Jim Vance (76217,3607). Hi there! For old times sake, I've attached a message from over ten years ago.

Compuserve still lives (barely). And we have the Laptop Computing Forum over there.

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
jhvance

Yup, that's me -- still have the Compuserve e-mail address but haven't looked at their forums since the shutdown of the "classic" mail service, as that was about the only reason I would occasionally look at that set of fora before they disappeared.  I may even have a version of that same mail message archived with WinCIM.  Now that I've been forced to migrate from the old software, I'll use the link you provided to check in there on occasion.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Jim, this Compuserve forum would probably be of more interest.

Windwos Support Forum

Drop around there sometime. I bet you'll see some names you recognize.

-Jerry
PureCyn

Thanks Jerry!!! I had the same problem and your solution helped me as well. Thanks again!!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You're welcome.

Nice of you to report back that it helped.

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
jhvance

Jerry:

Alas, the boot hard drive on my X205-SLi5 crashed day before yesterday when a rather hefty book apparently decided to fall off an adjacent overfull bookshelf for a direct hit on the laptop while I was running a deep defrag on the machine's C: drive -- Murphy was definitely at work that day.  When I discovered this sometime later and pieced together what must have occurred, the screen was frozen and the drive was just making repeated "clunking" noises.  Upon reboot I was presented a low-level PXE-E61 message about media test failure in the Realtek ethernet controller.

After some online searching with a different machine on that error message and checking the boot order on the X205, it was pretty clear that the event probably seriously damaged or killed the drive.  I haven't put it into a SATA drive enclosure to confirm its unreadable, but will get one this weekend and test -- on the odd chance it was simply jarred from a good connection, I did extract and reinsert both drives then tried to boot up, but it didn't change the behavior so I think the boot drive is toast.

I'm now presuming I'll need to install a new drive (which I already had from a sale at Fry's last month) and do a clean install of Win7 from the retail Ultimate upgrade DVD this time instead of the upgrade option I chose to do last year.  I've finished re-downloading all of the Win7 updates & patches for this model to a USB stick in preparation for the effort.  A post on the MS Answers forum about performing a clean install with a retail upgrade disk indicates I'll need to install Vista first (from the recovery disk) and then subsequently choose the "custom" option rather than the "upgrade" option when installing Win7.  So far, so good -- but, I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping you might be able to help me with.

1. I'm reasonably certain that the boot drive (Drive0) is in the bay with the smaller cover (left side if one looks at the machine flipped over, right side if its upright or stood on its back end), but I can't find confirmation of this in any of the literature that came with it or the online manual.  Which is which?

2. Once I do get into the process and first finish the Vista re-installation from the recovery disks, I intend to go straight into the Win7 installation with selection of the "custom" option, then allow it to overwrite everything and produce a "clean install".  When that's completed and the OS is subsequently activated,in what order should I then install all the Toshiba-specific updates?  The Toshiba document on this (#98082815) is pretty general, though I'd assume that the relevant model-specific Toshiba Software Installer file ought to come first.  I'm not sure whether that will mean that some of the individual patch/update files won't be needed, but I can use Device Manager afterwards to check version numbers and choose whether to install an individual file by that method.  Based on my previous experience outlined in a different thread in the video/display topic area, I intend to install the latest nVidia GPU drivers for the 8600M GT then disable SLi functions and bypass the Toshiba version entirely (unless the initial installer file incorporates it).

3. Finally, at what point in this process should I start running Windows Update?  My inclination is to wait until all of the Toshiba-specific patches and updates are completed, but thought I'd see what you recommend.

Sorry for the hassle, but thanks once again for the mental energy and assistance.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

1. Jim, it may surprise you to learn that I have no Toshiba machines here and have never even operated one. Migrated here from the CompuServe forum to handle Windows problems.

See if any of the pictures here help.

How to take apart a Toshiba Satellite X205 and Satellite X200 laptops.

2. If you were installing 32-bit Home Premium it should be sufficient to run this instead of installing any Toshiba drivers or utilities separately

Toshiba Software Installer for Windows 7

Since you are installing a different edition of Windows, it makes no sense to me to bother restoring Vista. I would start with Windows 7 Ultimate, partitioning and formatting the disk in the process. And the Installer above is of no use. You'll need to use the retail key to activate.

Install the Intel chipset software followed by the nVidia display driver prior to other drivers. Install the TVAP before other Toshiba utilities.

I don't know anything about special drivers from nVidia, of course.

3. I would complete the upgrade before worrying about stuff from Microsoft.

Good luck!

PS If you want to talk more, tell us whether that's 32- or 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
jhvance

Sorry -- it's the 32-bit Win7 Ultimate version.  I'd previously found the Irisvista webpage(s) on disassembly of the X200 models, but while it's a great resource it doesn't specify which drive bay houses which drive.  I'll figure it out by trial-and-error if need be (and mark them accordingly), and if the HDD from what I think is the correct bay won't read when I put it in an external enclosure that will certainly be enough proof.  If it can be read, that will also be certain proof either way.

Thanks for the recommendation on the priority installation sequence -- a closer read of the official Toshiba guidance in document #98082815 recommends running Windows Update immediately after the Win7 installation and before the Toshiba Software Installer.  I may do that selectively (i.e., install critical OS updates but no optional or hardware-related updates at that stage) and then re-run WU again after I've got all the Tosh updates loaded for all of the others.

I'll report back later with an update on how things have gone.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

a closer read of the official Toshiba guidance in document #98082815 recommends running Windows Update immediately after the Win7 installation and before the Toshiba Software Installer.

I'd go with that advice then, Jim. Probably a concern about going on line with vulnerabilities.

I'll report back later with an update on how things have gone.

Looking forward to it.

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
jhvance

The old drive was indeed toast.  Conclusion -- don't drop or radically jar the machine, or allow heavy objects to fall onto your laptop when performing a thorough defrag of the boot HDD....

What I ended up doing was to use the recovery disks to format the new boot drive (and Drive0 is indeed the one in the left-center bay when the laptop is turned upside down) and reinstall to the "out-of-box" state, then after that initial reboot was complete I went straight into loading the Win7 Ultimate upgrade disk and selected the "custom install" option so it would replace the Vista Home Premium "out-of-box" version (moving it to a "windows.old" folder in the boot drive) rather than upgrade the initial OS it as I had originally done last year.

After that process was completed, I first ran Windows Update and selected only the "important" updates listed, allowing those to install and rebooting when it was complete.  I then started on loading the various Tosh-specific Win7 upgrade patches I'd downloaded to a USB flash drive, along with the latest nVidia GPU drivers (v197.16) for the 8600M GT. I've listed below the order in which I loaded these various update patches, and rebooted whenever instructed as well as every 3rd or so upgrade patch even if there was no such instruction.  I'll note that right after loading the nVidia GPU drivers, I checked the nVidia Control Panel to make sure that the SLi function was set to disable (it was disabled by default at this point, although nVidia Control Panel identifes that enabling is "recommended").  Once I completed the entire list of Win7 patches, I re-ran Windows Update and this time selected both the important updates as well as some of the optional updates (all of the non-English language packs I don't need and toggled them to be hidden).

In general, the process took several hours but there were only a few glitches -- the Cyberlink Power Cinema update failed to install as it said the main program was not installed.  I gather this is something that was loaded and still present in the Vista "windows.old" folder, and might have been installed with the Toshiba Software Installer (which I didn't use at all).  So, I might try to figure out how to re-install and update that specific program at some point, but it's certainly not a critical application right now.  The final Windows Update session had some issue with installation of two patches for the Realtek LAN and Synaptics, but rebooting and re-running seemed to resolve whatever problems there were.

After the patching process was complete and the final Windows Update session finished, I activated Windows and set about tweaking a few functions (loading in fingerprints, etc.) and checking on components to identify whether there were any conflicts or problems.  Device Manager showed a clean board (i.e., no hardware conflicts or issues), so I began to install software applications starting with the AV (avast!), alternate firewall (ZA Pro) and various others.  I've got most of those taken care of now, so I thought it was time to post this update on the current state of my OS rebuilding effort.

I was hoping that by using the "custom install" method this time as Toshiba recommends instead of the direct upgrade method I'd used last year, the Realtek HD audio setup would this time accurately reflect and use the subwoofer and native hardware's 5.1 sound capability -- unfortunately, it still only recognizes the audio hardware as "stereo" and doesn't fully function as it did in Vista, so that hardware driver issue with use of Win7 is one which remains completely unresolved on the X205 series and perhaps some others as noted elsewhere in various forum threads.

FWIW, here's the order in which I loaded the Win7 update patches following the basic OS installation.

1. Intel Chipset SW Install Utility

2. Intel Display Driver

3. nVidia GPU Driver (v197.16 - from nVidia's download site, not the v186.42 update from Toshiba)

4. Toshiba Value Added Pack

5. Patch Files for Win7

6. Intel Robson Technology Driver

7. Realtek LAN Driver

8. Atheros Wireless LAN Driver

9. Synaptics Touchpad Driver

10. Utility Support Driver

11. Winbond CIR Driver

12. TI Card Reader Driver

13. Registry Patch for Win7 Devices/Printers

14. TRS Driver

15. Bluetooth Stack

16. Toshiba Software Modem

17. Chicony Camera Assistant

18. ConfigFree

19. HDMI Control Manager

20. Cyberlink Power Cinema Upgrade Patch (this failed to install as the main program installation didn't exist)

21. Toshiba Disk Creator

22. UPEK Fingerprint Driver (v5.8.0.4024)

23. UPEK Driver Replace Tool

24. UPEK Fingerprint Driver (v5.9.1.5935)

25. Realtek Audio Driver

26. Toshiba Speech System

So, the only two Toshiba machines-specific update patches I did NOT utilize were the Toshiba Software Installer and the nVidia GPU driver (v186.42), and the issue of the missing Cyberlink application remains to be resolved (or just ignored).

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thanks for all those details, Jim. May very well help others to do the same.

I was hoping that by using the "custom install" method this time as Toshiba recommends instead of the direct upgrade method I'd used last year, the Realtek HD audio setup would this time accurately reflect and use the subwoofer and native hardware's 5.1 sound capability -- unfortunately, it still only recognizes the audio hardware as "stereo" and doesn't fully function as it did in Vista, so that hardware driver issue with use of Win7 is one which remains completely unresolved on the X205 series and perhaps some others as noted elsewhere in various forum threads.

Too bad about that.

Now that you have Windows 7 Ultimate, you'll be able to run XP Mode if you like. Even if Toshiba does not enable the hardware virtualization in the BIOS for that model, there is an update that can make it possible.

Error message about hardware-assisted virtualization for Windows XP Mode in Windows Virtual PC on a ...

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
jhvance

Jerry, thanks -- I'm not sure whether running that laptop in XP Mode might ever be needed at some point, but now I'm aware of the available MS patch and almost certainly wouldn't have been without the handy reference.

BTW, an oddity I have discovered with one application that the OS (or its permissions settings) might be preventing is some sort of initialization file update when the program is closed, as I'm getting an "I/O error 183" popup and I have to close the application through Task Manager or its own "abort" command (which is a different command from "exit").  Consequently, it doesn't remember things like the window placement or size when it's launched the next time as it did previously when I had it installed on this machine with Win7U prior to the HDD crash.

From a little searching on the Web, what I think it appears to be is some sort of database file access violation, and since Win7 (and Vista to a lesser degree) has a very different approach to permitting execution of various activities, my speculation is that there's a setting in UAC (user account control) for that program or the activity it's attempting to perform which is not properly set to allow overwriting of the existing file.

Any ideas?  Personally, I really dislike UAC and essentially disabled it when this laptop was running Vista, but that doesn't seem to really be an option in Win7.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Maybe there are some more clues in these Microsoft documents.

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
jhvance

I managed to solve the issue by setting that program's desktop icon's "advanced" properties to "run as administrator", rebooted and relaunched it to test, and that reset/resolved whatever underlying permission setting wouldn't allow the program to save its own configuration/initialization file and close properly.

Thanks for the Googled suggestions nonetheless.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I managed to solve the issue by setting that program's desktop icon's "advanced" properties to "run as administrator

Thanks for letting us know how you solved it, Jim.

I set all my shortcuts to Run as administrator (when possible) - just in case.

-Jerry