Trapper
Accepted Solution

M505-S4940 wireless driver

I upgraded my wife's 64 bit (vista) Satellite M505-S4940 to 32 bit Windows 7 (purchased @ Best Buy) and lost the wireless driver in the process.  Downloaded the driver suggested on the Toshiba tech support website and it wouldn't load.  Called tech support and they informed me that it's a Realtek adapter and they don't have a Windows 7 driver for it.  Asked what specific Realtek adapter and they couldn't/wouldn't they tell me.  Wife is military and on temp duty out of state and only has wi-fi as a connectivity option.  Need to resolve this so she can get on line.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Occasional Contributor
w7pro

Re: M505-S4940 wireless driver

If you go to control panel, then hardware and sound and then device and printers, you'll find an icon for your computer. Right click that and under properties, you should be able to find what your wireless driver is. You can download the driver once you have that model number. You could also try connecting through an ethernet port and try to download the drivers through Windows Update.

You can find some additional info here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

-- Ryan

Windows Outreach Team

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite M505-S4940

According to this Canadian website, the Realtek driver for Vista should work for Windows 7 in that model's part-number family. Have you tried it?

Realtek Wireless LAN Driver for Windows Vista (32/64bit)

-Jerry
Trapper

I'll e-mail it to her and let you know.  Thanks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Yes, please let us know.

-Jerry
Trapper

Jerry, the driver you suggested worked.  She said the only compatibily offered (or at least the only one she recognized) was XP SP3, so she tried it and it worked.  She's back on line.  Thanks much for the help.  

I didn't know about Toshiba's Windows 7 upgrade utility until I started researching this problem.  Do you know if it would have prevented this?  If so, I'll use it when I upgrade my Satellite P105-S6177 running 32 bit Vista.

Thanks again for the help. You just might have saved my marriage.........

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Happy to learn it works now.

Toshiba's Windows 7 upgrade utility ... Do you know if it would have prevented this? 

No, I don't. But I was going to suggest it next.

Toshiba Software Installer for Windows 7 

Called tech support and they informed me that it's a Realtek adapter and they don't have a Windows 7 driver for it. 

Seems like tech support dropped the ball on that one.

Satellite P105-S6177 

How To Manually Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 - Satellite P100/105

Good luck on the next one.

-Jerry