TheDarkManus
Accepted Solution

Installing Win7 with no CD/DVD drive

My brother's laptop caught some virus, it was removed but made it unbootable. He never made recovery media for it and has to cd/dvd drive to use to install windows 7. The hard drive had been formatted so the recovery partition is gone. How can I get it back to factory condition with no disk drive? The warranty ran out too.

It is a Satellite T235D-S1340

Part number: PST4LU-007005

I know it has the option for a Network boot, but the information I've been reading shows different ways and different files. I tried some but when I get to the part where its going to install it mentions some error about not having a (or the correct) driver for the network. I can't recall the exact error. I tried messing with WinPE, which I have no experience with, but I guess the drivers I used were incorrect or most likely I missed some other step. Wished I knew someone with the same laptop to just copy the hard drive and go from there.  Any ideas or advice?

If only my brother asked for my help to prevent the issue. :smileysad: It would be easier than trying to fix it.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Installing Win7 with no CD/DVD drive

Satellite T235D-S1340

Probably best to obtain the recovery flash drive from Toshiba.

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

-Jerry
TheDarkManus

[ Edited ]

I  had taken a look at that order form but when I get to the part that shows me what I am ordering it has this:

• SW Media - DVD-SATELLITE-T235D-Windows 7 64bit Home Premium-EN

Unless that DVD has an option to create the files that would go on a flash drive, not sure if it will be the solution. Does the software have a way of knowing if it is being used on a Toshiba system? If not, perhaps I can hook the hard drive to a desktop to install the OS and swap it back into the laptop. I would imagine this would not work, but what other options are there? I had tried this with a retail version of Win7 but it did not work. The drive would load fine in the desktop, but wouldn't once back in the laptop. I guess it was missing the right drivers.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

So far as I know all models that are not equipped with optical drives can be restored from a flash drive from Toshiba.

Page 58 of the User's Guide even has this statement.

To purchase an optional external writable optical disc drive or a USB Flash drive, visit the Toshiba Web site at accessories.toshiba.com.

Satellite T210/T230 Series User’s Guide

If you have trouble with that, I suggest you call Toshiba at 800-457-7777.

Please let us know how this is resolved.

-Jerry
TheDarkManus

Well I finally got the problem fixed. I did call to order the recovery media. I was told for the model I was ordering for, there was no flash drive option so got the discs. Since I do not have access to an external disk drive, I used the USB to SATA/IDE drive adapter I have and hooked it to an internal DVD drive from another computer.

I altered the BIOS to boot from the disk drive but it did not initially work. This must have been due to whatever I had done to the hard drive, so I took out the hard drive and formatted through another computer. Once it was completely wiped (used a quick format), I reconnected back to the laptop and used the usb adapter for the DVD drive. It worked.

I got some options similar to what you see with system recovery except with an additional option for Toshiba Recovery Wizard. Actually I can't recall the exact name but it had Toshiba and recovery in it. It took some time to get it back to factory settings since it was 2 DVDs, but it got the job done. It of course added the recovery partition that is hidden from normal user view.

If I knew the discs were going to work out with a laptop with no internal optical drive, I would have bought them from the start. :smileywink:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I was told for the model I was ordering for, there was no flash drive option..

Surprise to me! I would think since no optical drive is included the flash-drive option would be offered.

I used the USB to SATA/IDE drive adapter I have and hooked it to an internal DVD drive from another computer.

Good work. Presumably, any external USB optical drive would work.

Happy to learn all is well. We appreciate your returning to give us all that useful information.

-Jerry
Cooz

First, Go to Toshiba WEB site to see what drivers you need. Down load and save on on external hard drive or thumb drive. Copy WIN 7 CD to External HDD or Thunmb drive. Install WIN 7 From ext. HDD. After install, do microsoft updates then install drivers. Then check with Toshiba updates to drivers.