lgvincent

How can I check my external hard drive to see if I've copied any files from my computer onto it?

My computer has a nasty virus that I can't get rid of so I decided to purchase an external hard drive to store my important files on so I can reinstall them onto my computer once I have copied Windows 7 onto the hard drive again. I've been waiting several hours and the information shows the storage of my files as having been completed but I can't get access to anything to see if I did it properly. I think it's unwise to just assume everything is okay without knowing for certain. How can I see what, if anything, has been stored on this new product? I have a Dell Inspiron 570 with Windows 7 and have purchased a Toshiba Canvio Basics 3.0 320 GB external hard drive. I may have made a mistake at the beginning by indicating that I wanted to use this as a backup when I actually want to use it as storage and put files on it in the future rather than risking infecting my computer with another virus. Is there some way I can reset my earlier instructions which stated I wanted to use it as a backup? I thought that was the correct choice when I began but it now appears I've made a mistake.
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: How can I check my external hard drive to see if I've copied any files from my computer onto it?

It shouldn't matter whether you called it "storage" or "backup". You should be able to read the files on the external drive the same way you read files on the internal HDD.  Go to Computer, select the external drive, click on it and the file structure should be on your screen and you can navigate there in the usual way.  Also, I would imagine that your external drive software provides a method to do the same.  I'm not personally familiar with the Canvio you are using, but my Seagate has software options to read the files on the drive.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: How can I check my external hard drive to see if I've copied any files from my computer onto it?

My computer has a nasty virus that I can't get rid of so I decided to purchase an external hard drive to store my important files on so I can reinstall them onto my computer once I have copied Windows 7 onto the hard drive again.

This is a bad strategy. Chances are good the virus has already transferred to the external drive and you'll be stuck with the same infection again after you restore the primary drive.

Your best bet is to do a thorough cleaning of both drives now.

I like a full scan using the free version of Malwarebytes. Be sure to update its signatures first.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

After that, I would format the external drive (removing whatever backup software comes with it) and use Windows 7 to back up or copy the data files to it.

Finally, restore the internal disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Dell's recovery media. (Virus cleaners may disable the virus, but seldom repair all the damage.)

-Jerry
lgvincent

[ Edited ]

Thank you but it won't do a darn thing. I attempt to open the external drive to see if there is anything on it and nothing happens.  If there is anything on it, I can't find it.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Then you need to follow Jerry's advice below.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
lgvincent

Thank you. The files I'm trying to save ave important to me. I have photographs of my cat who died in 2006 so they are very special to me and I have some things I've written that I wish to store as well considering the time I spent doing all this work. I'm not trying to save anything else, only things of this nature. You think those things would be corrupted as well? I've tried numerous times to remove the virus without success and while I have no objection to reinstalling Windows, I do want to save these things since they can't be replaced.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If you really care about those pictures, you should burn copies to DVDs. That's in addition to backing them up to an external drive.

Burn a CD or DVD in Windows Explorer

I've tried numerous times to remove the virus without success

I don't know what you mean. After disabling a virus, anti-virus tools have not repaired all the damage. Probably it's the damage you are seeing.

-Jerry