bathtubgin

Error 10-FA12-045D Help

My Toshiba laptop turned off suddenly today. After attempting Startup Repair and using my Recovery Disks that GeekSquad provided to me, I get through the recovery and it looks like it is finishing and then I get this error message. Can anyone explain what it means and what I should do?

I'm rather tech illiterate, and by rather I mean completely, so I'm pretty lost here. I'm a broke college student, so trying to do this on my own. It's just over a year old, so no warranty but I don't use it for much so not sure what could have gone wrong.

Peter

Re: Error 10-FA12-045D Help

Please include your full model number when posting problems on the forums. It can be found on the bottom of your laptop.

That error usually indicates a failing hard drive. Most likely it needs to be replaced.

- Peter
Rebah

My model is the Satellite A665-S6050. At first it was not able to boot up into Windows, just past the Toshiba screen, then to a blank screen where the curser blinked shortly then disappeared.  The Geek Squad at Best Buy tested the hard drive and it checked out fine. They suggested that I obtain the recovery disk from Toshiba, that the problem is software related. But I figured out I could do it through Safe Mode. However, at the end of the process, I received the recovery error 10-FA12-045D.  I am at a loss as what to do next. This laptop is not even 2 years old and has been used in my home for personal use, so not heavily. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Peter

Try booting the notebook while holding '0' (zero). This will load the recovery utility from the recovery partition rather than discs. Is this the same utility you were using? It can't hurt to try it again. I know it might seem annoying, but it's probably easier to try 3 or 4 times before taking further action. If it won't work, yes, you could try using recovery discs before seeking repairs as a final option.

- Peter
Rebah

Peter,

I have now tried the recovery utility twice. It worked for a while after both times then had same issue, not loading Windows. I guess I'll try the utility again. I haven't seen another error like that again. Although, I do get a message with this code: 0xc000009e (I thinks that's correct).

Thanks,

Rebecca

Peter

If, after doing a recovery, you're having problems before you're making changes to your system, I'd recommend contacting customer support at (800) 457-7777 as it's likely your notebook needs servicing.

- Peter