SeBe
Accepted Solution

Downgrading Qosmio X875-Q7380 to Windows 7

[ Edited ]

I purchased a Qosmio X875-Q7380 and I am unhappy with Windows 8.

Are there any laptops similar to the Qosmio X875-Q7380 with Windows 7?

Or

Can I downgrade to Windows 7?

Are there any Windows 7 native drivers available for this laptop?

Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Downgrading Qosmio X875-Q7380 to Windows 7

Qosmio X875-Q7380

Are there any laptops similar to the Qosmio X875-Q7380 with Windows 7?

These are available with Windows 7.

Qosmio X875-Q7280

Qosmio X875-Q7290

There are altogether five current Qosmio computers with Windows 7. Go here to identify them.

Toshiba Laptop Finder

-Jerry
Latigo

You can find all Windows 7 drivers on the Toshiba Europe site
Windsome

Can you be specific about how to change the UEFI or BIOS in order to load Windows 7 Pro onto my X875 Q7380? (Nothing against Windows 8, but my small company can't afford the retraining just now.)

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Qosmio X875-Q7380

Can you be specific about how to change the UEFI or BIOS in order to load Windows 7 Pro onto my X875 Q7380?

I could tell you specifically how to load Windows 7. But I don't see the Windows 7 drivers or utilities for that model.

You still want to know?

-Jerry
Windsome

Jerry-

I have a new copy of Windows 7 Pro, so with the right BIOS and EUFI I think I'm ready to make the change. Help appreciated!

Miss_Fidgit

I too have the Qosmio X875 and am considering going back to Windows 7.

The European Toshiba site has all the driver downloads for 7.

My biggest issue so far is that I seem to be having trouble with the video drivers (I assume) - I'm trying to play a game and my framerate is only 6-9 per second, and with a laptop as powerful as this, that's ridiculous. I'm so frustrated I've been thinking about downgrading, but I want to give 8 a chance.

Regardless, I'm making a backup recovery media set of DVDs, and I too would like to know the proper way to downgrade before I royally mess something up.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Qosmio X875-Q7380 (PSPLZU-001002)

I'm ready to make the change.

The very first thing to do is create recovery media. See the section Creating recovery media, which begins on p. 54 of the User's Guide.

Qosmio X800 Series User’s Guide

Only Windows 8 Pro comes with downgrade rights (to Windows 7 Professional). So you would need to pay for it.

In order to boot using UEFI from the Windows 7 installation media, follow this procedure.

-Shut down Windows 8 while pressing the Shift key to completely power off.
   -Power on and press F2 while the Toshiba logo is displayed to enter the UEFI Setup Menu.
   -Go to the Security tab and set the "Secure Boot" setting to "Disabled".
   -Go to the Advanced tab, enter "System Configuration" and set the Boot Mode to "CSM Boot."
   -Press F10 to save and exit.

In order to successfully install Windows 7, you need to remove the existing GPT partitions during Setup and create new ones. Use the 64-bit version.

For those whose model (like the laptop above) is in part-number family PSPLZU, go here for the drivers and utilities. Best to install the chipset and display drivers first.

Good luck!

-Jerry
Windsome

Jerry-

Bachup disks were already created and Window 7 Pro (OEM) is in the mail. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I really appreciate the clear instructions...and the "Good Luck" wish.

Bill

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Let us know how it goes, Bill.

-Jerry
phasegen

I'm doing the same thing, though I consider it more of an upgrade.  Set mine up to dual-boot Windows 7, and Xubuntu Linux 12.04.2 and it wasn't easy.  Maybe I can save someone else the headaches.  

First, disable secure boot, and get out of UEFI and into CSM.  

The next one, which really gave me fits was that the first hard-drive (and only that one) was set up with GUID Partion Tables (GPT), instead of good old msdos partition tables like the lord of creation intended.  I used the Xubuntu live disc, and the convenient copy of gparted that is included, to get back into his good graces (and stop cussing like the military man I used to be).  After that, both operating systems installed without a hitch, it's just been a windows 7 driver hunt...

Windsome

Phasegen-

I appreciate the tip, but after spending multiple hours learning where the bios and drivers were hidden, and learning that support was very limited, I checked with Geek Squad at our local Best Buy. Apparently the "downgrade" has become a common request for small businesses. They made the necessary changes and returned a clean hard drive with my copy of W-7 the next day. Unless you work for $5/hour or do this for fun, you might try Geek Squad.

Windsome 

billiam904

I'm going through the same process after having purchased this laptop a month ago and letting my 11-year-old play games on my new $2000 laptop (including memory upgrade to 32 gig)...

I spent several hours yesterday on this and finally restored my Win8 last night from the Recovery disks to start all over again.

Frankly, this is embarrassing as I've done O/S installs for 25 years and this is the first time I've been stumped.  If I hadn't paid so much for the laptop and didn't need it for work, I'd ship the sucker back and tell Toshiba where they could shove this thing.

Windows 8 is no real O/S for work unless the laptop has a touch screen, which it doesn't, so I need Win7 installed.

I have the 128 gig SSD as disk 0 and 1 TB HDD as disk 1.  I tried installing on both and couldn't.  SDD because it is GPT and an unknown error when installing on the HDD...

I hate wiping the GPT partitions because I worry that I won't be able to recover if I do but..., as you pount out, I may have to go with my tail between my legs to Geek Squad if all else fails...

billiam904

I didn't notice the model number in the subject.. I have a X870-BT3G23.  Can someone tell me if the process above is the same for my model and where I can get the Win7 drivers?  What is the eqivalent part number in UK for US BT3G23?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Qosmio X875-Q7380 (PSPLZU-001002)

Qosmio X870-BT3G23 (PSPLZU-014010)

Can someone tell me if the process above is the same for my model..

Yes. Since the part-number family (PSPLZU) is the same, they are essentially equivalent.

Good question.

-Jerry
Windsome

I wouldn't worry about the "tail between legs" prompem. Best Buy's price was $130, so it was just a very practical business decision.

phasegen

[ Edited ]

I can give you some helpful info.  

The two hard-drives have different partition tables configured. One is GPT and one is MSDOS with a MBR.  

If you want Windows 7, make both MSDOS with MBR, and disable secure boot and UEFI in the bios.  Then Windows 7 will install just fine.  

If you want Windows 8, use GPT on both disks, keep UEFI enabled in the bios, and I recommend installing Classic Shell version 3.6.7 (current), and if you hate Metro (I do), Skip Metro Suite. Together, they get you back to a Start Menu.

The problem I had, was locating the right drivers.  Toshiba hasn't been forthcoming with them.  But hey!, that comes into play the next time I decide to buy a new computer.  The piper always gets paid...

phasegen

There is no fun in Geek Squad.  I couldn't repect myself in the morning if I let someone else do it for me.  I also do my own carpentry, cut my own trees and firewood, work on my own vehicles, cook, and retired from working on avionics systems in  the Army's helicopters. :smileywink:

devnulled

holy crap. 67-T was my MOS after recruiter screwed up my paperwork for WOFT back in 1990. Where did you do your Basic and AIT at and what year?

I have the X875-Q7390 PSPLZU-003002 and have wanted to downgrade to windows 7 x64 since i got it. Have been using Classic Shell from Sourceforge and avoiding the metro interface as much as possible. Last time I tried the supposed windows 7 drivers they crashed on boot for the Value added Drivers some file in there, when I got it working the 3d webcam driver would crash every time I tried to use it. This was 4 months ago. Love the built in 3d emitter and glasses for some games, but really they sit in a drawer more than getting used.

phasegen wrote:

There is no fun in Geek Squad.  I couldn't repect myself in the morning if I let someone else do it for me.  I also do my own carpentry, cut my own trees and firewood, work on my own vehicles, cook, and retired from working on avionics systems in  the Army's helicopters. :smileywink:

phasegen

Basic was at Ft. Sill, AIT at Ft. Sam Houston as a medic back in 1988. Reclassed to 68N (now 15N?) in 1996. Retarded in 2008.