Marc123

Convert 32-bit Windows 7 to 64-bit Windows 7

Is there any way to convert a L505-S5984 running 32-bit Windows 7 into 64-bit Windows 7?  It appears the laptop will support 8GB of RAM, if the OS would.

Thanks

pcrial

Re: Convert 32-bit Windows 7 to 64-bit Windows 7

I did convert W7 32 bit to W7 64. All I had to do was put the W7 64 bit CD in the drive, and boot from the CD. Once the CD booted it asked if I wanted to install over the top of W7 32 or do a clean format, and start over. I choose the latter choice and formatted and started over, and it worked just fine.

Marc123

Did the CD come with the laptop?

pcrial

No My laptop is 1 year old, so I purchased the upgrade from Microsoft.

I also have XP Professional and Ubuntu Linux running under Sun Virtural Box inside of W7 64 bit.

Cheers,

pcrial

Terabyt1

Hello,

I too would like to upgrade this brand new laptop ( L505-s5984 ) to the 64 bit ver. of Win7 prem. My problem is I did'nt get Win 7 disks. Mine are hidden on the Part. Has anyone upgraded that way. I tried - got to the part where it said do you want to restore back to factory settings or do you want to del Win 7 and all its part. Needless to say I cancelled. I would like to put more memory in this but can't till I go 64 bit.  Any help would be grateful.

Terabyt1

pcr
pcr

Why can't you upgrade the memory until you go 64 bit? As long as you use the correct memory it should work fine 32 bit or whatever you are running now. In fact, once you upgrade the memory if it will not boot, its probably the wrong memory types.

Davidmp

My question is why didnt this notebook come preinstalled with the 64 bit OS?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Because 32bit Windows has better overall compatability and driver support.  Most laptops don't really take advantage of 64bit Windows anyway even when the hardware supports it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

L505-S5984

Granted there maybe better compatability - but the the peice that stinks is that if a user were to clean install from the recovery partition, then there is no option to perform a 64bit install (I've tried).

I'm very much a noob in regards to packaging/slipstreaming Win7 installations but I think it may be tied down to the D_OSARCHITECTURE=32bit setting used within a couple of .ini files.  I'd be really interested to see what this setting is on a box pre-installed with the 64bit edition.

Good luck.