GeorgeL
Accepted Solution

Chicony Camera Assistant Software for Win 7

I originally posted this under Windows 7 category and got no response. Hoping this is a more appropriate place for this question.

I have a Toshiba L305-5908 and just upgraded per Toshiba recommendations with a 'clean' install upgrading from Vista 64 to Windows 7 64. I followed the Windows install with the Toshiba upgrade software as instructed for a 'clean' install. Not much was included in that. Certainly not the amount of Toshiba software I had  on the Vista version.

My question is similar to many others about getting the built in 'Chicony USB 2.0 Camera' to work properly. I had the 'Camera Assistant Software' installed when it was Vista. After the upgrade, there is no such software included with Windows or the Tosiba Software added with the clean install. I installed 'Skype' as a way to see if the camera still worked and it does. I get both Video and Sound to work with Skype. I assume the correct driver was installed during Windows install. It says it is working properly. However, without the 'Camera Assistant Software' I previously had in Vista that is accessed with pull out from left side of screen, I can make no adjustments on the video brightness. Although the option is there in Skype, it is darkened out and can't be used. With just the Skype software, I can make no adjustments, particularly 'Low Light Compensation'. I find the camera video extremely dark without being in very bright light. I had the same problem in Vista but the 'Camera Assistant software' allowed for low light compensation and corrected this. I can make no such compensation currently.

I could find no Camera software associated for my pc using Windows 7 on the Toshiba website. I did locate a Camera Assistant Software version likely for Vista (version 6.1005200170). It installed but gives an error message that the software driver is not working. So it does not work although it did install. I have since removed it.

Is there a later version of compatible  'Camera Assistant Software' for Windows 7 available? If so, what is the link? If not, is there an upgrade planned? If not, is there an alternative software that will allow for video compensation, specifically 'Low Light Compensation'? That appears all I need to make it work similar to Vista.

Thanks
George

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Chicony Camera Assistant Software for Win 7

Satellite L305-S5908

I did some poking around, George. All I can locate is for the European counterpart (PSLB8E) of that part-number family (PSLB8U).

I could find only the 32-bit version. They call it a driver, but the package apparently contains all the software.

Toshiba Webcam driver for Windows 7 - 32 Bit, 1.1.1.4, 13/10/09

webcam-20091013162352.zip

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
sanmartino

I had the same problem. I partitioned the hard drive and did a clean install of Win 7, while leaving Vista intact & running in a dual boot mode. No webcam in Win 7, but still worked in Vista. I copied the program over from Vista to WIn 7, but no joy. The Toshiba Software Installer did not find a webcam program for Win 7. So I asked Iris and came up with this link to Win 7 webcam programs. http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/outFrm.jsp?ofId=AskIris&searchString=Camera+Assi... Although my Model # is not listed, I installed the most recent WIn7 - 64 bit version and it works like a champ.
GeorgeL

Thanks for the responses. The Sanmartino link is what I was looking for. I too installed the latest version on my L305-S5908 and it to seems to work fine, although my pc model is not listed. I'd say it's even an improvement of what I had with Vista. Thanks again. Save that link for future reference. It likely works with most/all Windows 7 Toshiba laptops that use the Chicony Camera.

George

bucketball78

On my L305D-S5900 I just used the system disk that came with my computer. I just installed the Camera Assistant Software using Vista SP2 compatibility.

shahalawy

Thank you, This programe laso help me fix the problem with Satellite U400-10J.

davedean

The Camera Assistant Software and driver works after upgrading to Windows 7 but the system still does not seem to recognize the built-in Chicony USB 2 built in camera seamlessly like in Windows Vista or XP where it would be listed in My Computer contents or w/ any software supporting twain/imaging devices. What's wrong? I find the Toshiba  CAS software limited compared to Logitech and other cam software ie no snapshot delay.

rsmith3260

Many thanks to the Sanmartino contributor for this important link. I think Toshiba should publish this link as a reference link rather than just leave it to forum contributors. It took 2 hours web searching to find it, but only 2 minutes to solve my problem. I had originally searched the Toshiba site using different terms and parameters without success.

I too suffered almost identical problems on My Toshiba L350-17R on upgrading today from Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. The preloaded camera software that came with Vista disappeared when Vista was upgraded to Windows 7 and although the device was listed in Device Manager as working OK, there was no Camera Assistant Software. After trying various unsuccessful cobbled together downloaded solutions from CNET and many others, I had almost given up and resigned myself to having to talk with Toshiba support tomorrow. 

Gratefully this link to the Toshiba site and subsequent download worked perfectly first time even although my Model wasn't listed. 

At the risk of repeating myself this should be a prominent/obvious/visible official Toshiba Published link and not buried in the Toshiba Web site as it will undoubtedly save hours of wasted searching. Greatly appreciated SANMARTINO.

sas_nz

I've had problems with my Chicony web cam.  I have an A350 Toshiba laptop and recently upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista (both Home ed).  I recently installed Skype so I could chat to my brother in London however the camera only works intermittently...   It will come on and I can see myself in the bottom corner of the screen but within seconds the screen goes black.  If I turn the camera off (via Skype), the picture comes back again for a few seconds but then goes black again. 

I'm not sure whether this is a software issue or a hardware one now...  I have tried updating the software recommended in this forum but that hasn't helped...  The webcam did work fine (the few times I used it) before upgrading to Windows 7... 

Can anyone offer any advice or had this problem?  I'm wondering if I should try a clean install of Windows 7? 

Many thanks

dex
dex

wow, great. thanks a lot man. worked for me as well. again, my model was not listed.

schymn

I was having the same problem after I upgraded to Windows 7 and this is what i did to solve my problem without downloading any new software. Follow these steps:

1. Make sure you install the Chicony-Camera-Assistant-Software (the one that worked with the Vista OS). After installation if you try running it you will get an error message but don't worry :smileyhappy:
  2. Launch Device Manager by right-clicking on the Computer icon on the desktop or the start menu and choose Manage from the menu that pops up. This will launch the Computer Management application then choose Device Manager from the left pane.
  3. Click on the Imaging Device node from the middle pane to expand it and you will see USB Video Device under it.
  4. Right-click on USB Video Device and choose  Update Driver Software... from the menu that pops up. This will start the driver update wizard.
  5. Select the second option on the first page of this wizard: "Browse my computer for driver software" and this will lead you to the second page of the wizard.
  6. This is where you point windows 7 to the driver that you will like to use for you camera. So you can now browse to where this driver is. The driver for the camera is in the installation folder of the Chicony-Camera-Assistant-Software: C:\Program Files (x86)\Camera Assistant Software for Toshiba\driver. In this driver folder you will find two sub-folders 32bit and 64 bit so choose the one that corresponds to the version of OS you are using. After selecting the appropriate folder your complete path to the driver may look like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Camera Assistant Software for Toshiba\driver\64bit
  7. Simply click on the next button and window will install the right drivers for your camera.
This worked for me and i hope it works for anybody with the same problem :smileyhappy:

romeo0704

Thanks schymn! That worked like a charm!

Occasional Contributor
dangerruss

[ Edited ]

I tried to follow your instructions but the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Camera Assistant Software for Toshiba\driver\64bit does not exist on my Satellite L305-S5907, PSLB8U-04X02F Toshiba laptop.  However, this directory exists C:\Program Files\Camera Assistant Software for Toshiba... but, now driver directory.

Any ideas what I should do next?

I did find this directory... C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Web Camera Application\ but there is no driver directory underneath...

Thanks,

Russ

Occasional Contributor
dangerruss

I have made no progress on getting the web camera to work.  None of the above solutions worked on my Satellite L305-S5907, PSLB8U-04X02F.  I have gone to the Toshiba European and the Canadian website and tried several downloads and none of them have worked.  Why won't Toshiba fix this issue? This is the last Toshiba product I will be purchasing.  I bought 3 of these laptops for each of my kids and all worked well until 'I upgraded to Win 7.

Frustrated and out of ideas...

Russ

Occasional Contributor
dangerruss

I just finished installing the WIN XP/Vista 32/64 bit version of the camera assist software and still get the error message in the screen capture below.  I have also include a screen shot of the toshiba directory.  Why when I install the software the driver directory is not created?

I can create this driver directory.  Can someone post just the driver I need?

Thanks,

Russ

Occasional Contributor
dangerruss

I think I am getting closer.  Found a driver directory at this location.. C:\Program Files\Camera Assistant Software for Toshiba\driver\64bit.  Proceeded with instructions to install the driver located in the directory above using device manager.  Nomenclature of camera changed from Chicony USB 2.0 Camera to USB Video Device.  Rebooted computer.  Camera assist software is now working.  But, now it is time to peal back the next layer of the onion.

I have attached a screen shot of the camera version.  The error message I am getting now is graph render fail.  I have includes a screen shot of that error message.

Another unusal item... if I close the camera assist software, the only way I can get it restarted is to reboot the computer...  Cannot launch the app with the shortcut...

Russ

DARRELL1

i did fresh install of windows 7 after i install fresh hard drive and now can not find driver/software for web cam and toughts or links to sovle this problem for toshiba l355d-s7809 any help much appreciate

thanks

darrell

Occasional Contributor
dangerruss

I never did get the camera to work.  Sorry.  Russ

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L305-S5907 

Downloads here.

Satellite L355D-S7809 

Downloads here.

When you do a clean install of Windows 7, Toshiba's Software Installer supplies the proper drivers.

How to Upgrade Toshiba laptops to Windows 7

Toshiba Software Installer for Windows 7

-Jerry