prussianette
Accepted Solution

Cannot Get Windows Task Manager to Show Up (Qosmio D775-3D)

I bought a Toshiba Qosmio X775-3D (with Windows 7 installed) about a month ago.  I have noticed this week that when I try to bring up Task Manager either through CTRL ALT DEL or by right clicking on the Windows task bar, I do not get the Task Manager Screen.  All I get is a screen that has the columns of User, ID, Status, Client Name, and Session.  There is one row of data below the columns that contains my computer name under User, "1" or "2" under ID, nothing under Client Name, "Active" under Status, and "Console" under Session.

I have to be honest with you--I have two PCs and three laptops, so I honestly couldn't tell you when this change took place on this laptop.  I have been updating regularly with Windows update, but do not check Task Manager after every update.

If anyone has a clue as to how to get the "regular" Windows Task Manager screen to appear, I would be most appreciative if they could share that knowledge.  Otherwise, I will have to do a complete restore with my discs that I created when I first received the Qosmio.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Cannot Get Windows Task Manager to Show Up (Qosmio D775-3D)

Go to the top of the Task Manager window and there are several TABS.  The one you have choisen now is USERS.  Look to the far left and there is a tab labeled APLICATIONS.  Click on that one and that is the Task Manager window you are familiar with.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
prussianette

Re: Cannot Get Windows Task Manager to Show Up (Qosmio D775-3D)

cbwilsha,

I do not think you are understanding me.  I do not have any tabs.  All I have is the screen that I described.  And, yes, thanks for pointing out, that is the information on the User tab, but......THAT IS THE ONLY PAGE SHOWING UP.

Think of the Task Manager Window.  Now click on the User tab.  That is all is the only information showing up, and that does not even have the word "USER" on top of it.  I do not have ANYTHING that has the words "Windows Task Manager" on it.

Do you understand--no Task Manager window, no Applications tab, No Processes tab, No Services tab, No Performance tab, No Networking tab. NOTHING.  Not even a USER tab--only the screen with the USER info on it.

And, I should also add that the only way I can close out of it is by right clicking on the application in the Windows Task Bar as it it has no dash, square, or x in the upper right hand corner.

Also, so you do not think I am an uninformed user, I have been employed in the technology industry for 25 years in various analyst roles, and have used every version of Windows except Vista.  And I have NEVER before had this problem which is why I am posting. 

prussianette

Solved my own problem-->Re: Cannot Get Windows Task Manager to Show Up (Qosmio D775-3D)

In looking around some more at Microsoft Support, I found the answer to the problem.   Somehow my Task Manager was operating in "Tiny Footprint" mode.  To get out of this mode, you simply double click somewhere on the border of whatever tab happens to be showing up.  I did that and it worked.

Such an easy solution, and so long it took me to find.

I decided to post in case someone else has the problem.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Solved my own problem-->Re: Cannot Get Windows Task Manager to Show Up (Qosmio D775-3D)

Boy! That's a new one on me, prussinette. Sure glad you found the answer yourself and thanks for reporting back. 

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Solved my own problem-->Re: Cannot Get Windows Task Manager to Show Up (Qosmio D775-3D)

Tiny Footprint mode has been around for a long time. Here it is in Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000.

Task Manager Menu Bar and Tabs Are Not Visible

-Jerry