Occasional Contributor
jf_songcuya

Build 7601 This copy of windows is not genuine

A pleasant day to all.

I am having trouble with my toshiba c660. There is a message on the desktop that says Windows 7 Build 7601 This copy of windows is not genuine. 

I need to activate windows and there is no COA sticker anywhere my unit. I've checked the battery compartment but still no COA. I've used a key finder and it showed my product key but turned out that it is a default key and cannot be used for activation.

In my understanding a product key can be installed in only one computer. And I am wondering why my unit doesnt have any COA sticker.

It bothers me a lot coz' i am not EXPERT with this sort of stuff. I've joined a lot of forum asking the same question and all of them told me that my Windows 7 is counterfeit. I dont know what to do to fix this problem.

They also told me to make a piracy report to Microsoft but im having second thought. I hope anyone in this forum can help me sort out this problem.

And i am asking if this Build 7601 have anything to do with my desktop background because i've noticed that after the 30 days notice (which i ignored because of me being ignorant) of windows activation, my desktop background went wacky. I can change the background but only for a few minutes ( even if i choose the 'change every 1 day') it doesnt listen it keeps going back to its solid color background.

This is pretty confusing n frustrating. Need all the help i can get! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Build 7601 This copy of windows is not genuine

Which Satellite C660? There is a label on the bottom.

Tell us about the history of that computer. Where did you get it?

Does it contain the original Windows installed by Toshiba?

If not, what?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
jf_songcuya

Satellite C660-15G

A relative bought this laptop from Saudi. It has WIN7 OS when he bought this. i just dont know if it was pre-installed by Toshiba or not.

It started asking for activation code after i have downloaded a microsoft software which checks the legality of WIN7.

The first 30 days i didnt really paid much attention to it. Now its in "grace period" .

It keeps on asking for activation and since i cannot see any COA sticker in my unit i tried using jellybean. I tried using the product key the software generated to activate windows but its saying that its a DEFAULT KEY and cannot be used for activation.

So now my problem is where to get a valid product key to activate this thing.

I've tried searching MIcrosoft but I couldnt find the right link where to get one. Hope u can help. Thanks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite C660-15G (PSC0NE-001009G3)

In case that computer contains the original Toshiba software, I suggest that you restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. See the section System Recovery Options, which begins on p. 1-11 of the User's Manual (attached).

Note that the version of Windows which is restored by this procedure is preactivated. It needs no product key.

Note also that this procedure wipes the drive clean. All important files should be backed up. Added applications will need to be reinstalled afterwards.

If you cannot restore the computer, come back here and explain the situation further.

-Jerry
Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

The specifications for the Satellite C660-15G show that this particular model came without a pre-installed OS. So, it is unlikely to have a Toshiba Recovery partition and/or Toshiba Recovery Media.

Mike

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The specifications .. show that this particular model came without a pre-installed OS.

Oops. I linked to that and didn't even read it.

Chances are good it's a pirated copy of Windows. You should go here if you want to learn what you've got.

Genuine Microsoft Software – Diagnostic Site

More here.

Windows Genuine Advantage Contact Us

-Jerry
jimmcg52

Hi,

I have a cusomized computer (C800) purchased through Toshiba Direct with Windows 7 Pro SP1 build 7601 also but mine came preinstalled on the computer. It also came with Windows 8 Pro recovery disks. However there is no Certificate of Authenticity (COA), a proof of license label, or/and an edge-to-edge hologram anywhere on the computer that I can see. Does Toshiba/Microsoft not use this anymore, or do I have pirated software by mistake somehow? Also will I need a COA if the computer ever needs to be recovered with Windows 7 Pro SP1 or if I should upgrade to Windows 8 Pro? Please help.

Thanks,

J.

Peter

jimmcg52, can you send me a PM with your full model, part, and serial numbers from the bottom label? To send me a private message, click my name to view my profile, then click the link on the right.

- Peter