Occasional Contributor
richnrockville

Bios update on L505-S5990 1.30 to 1.40 problem

New out of the box and bios 1.3 had the Virtualization option greyed out.

Updated the box to version 1.4 as  the sheet said that it would now enable

the virtualization as per:

Version 1.40 - 2009-10-29

• Updated the Computrace OPROM 887.
  • Fixed: DMI type 17 manufacturer name display error for Hynix and Elpida RAM.
  • Changed the "Intel Virtualization Technology" default setting from Disabled to Enabled.
  • Modified the critical battery wake up prevent value from 2% to 5%.
  • Modified the battery low blinks, battery LED value from 2% to 10%.
  • Modified the S3 Critical Battery wake up value from 5% to 8%.N

Now the option in the bios is missing all together.

Any ideas as I would like to be able to use the Virtual PC in Windows 7 Home Premium.

Or am I whistling in the Dark?

Rich

Learn_>Teach or it is all wasted.
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Bios update on L505-S5990 1.30 to 1.40 problem

[ Edited ]

You need to have a cpu that supports VT before you can enable it and the T6500 does NOT support VT.  That's why it isn't in the bios.  If you need VT support you'll need to get a different laptop that has a cpu that does support VT. 

And before you ask why they have that in a bios for that system it's bacause that bios works on a number of different L505 models some of which do have a VT supported CPU.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Contributor
richnrockville

Great Answer, I would like to personally thank you for the answer and comments.

I determined that the machine would not support Virtualization,

I was under the impression that the dual core would support it but

quite evidently I was wrong.

It is quite evident from your tag line that everyone  should be an English major.

Sorry to disappoint you, but not everyone is quite as eloquent as you apparently are.

Rich

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

They don't have to be eloquent or an English major, they just need to take the time to make their posts coherent, something way too many people are unwilling to do.  Your's was just fine. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Contributor
richnrockville

Thanks.,

I recommend Toshiba's to all my clients and friends and Now there is a new problem.

I have had at least 10 of them from the 286 on up.

Before purchase, how do I figure out whether the bios/cpu will support Virtualization?

I mistakenly suggested the purchase of the forgoing machine and it evidently does not

support Virtualization.

Is there a place on the Toshiba site that lists which models support Virtualization?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Not that I know of, but you can go to Intel to see which cpu's support VT.  Go here and enter in the specific CPU model into the search box to see it's specs.  http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35583&code=t3400 

I have recently found out that Sun's Virtual Box uses software based VT so should be able to work on systems that don't support Hardware Based VT.  One would have to install XP manually instead of just using MS's Pre-Configured Virtual XP Mode.  It's more work and probably won't run as smoothly or as quickly as MS's hardware based XP Mode, but it might suffice.  It might be worth checking it out to see if it will suit your needs.  Sun normally makes good quality products so it shouldn't be too bad.

AirWolf7

richnrockville wrote:

Is there a place on the Toshiba site that lists which models support Virtualization?

Maybe this can be of some help to you.

Which Toshiba Direct laptops are compatible with Windows XP Mode?

Windows XP Mode is supported on the following Toshiba Direct models.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/ebtext.to?page=XPMode

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Good find AirWolf. 

gerstavros

Hi. i have this laptop. Which is the latest bios update,where can i download it and how to flash it? thanks..

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Unless you are having a problem that is specifically addressed in a bios update it isn't worth the risk doing it.  99 times out of a hundred one is wasting their time flashing a bios, especially on laptops or motherboards with bios chips soldered to the motherboard.

The same holds true of driver updates, but it's much easier to recover from a bad driver update than it is to recover from a bad bios flash.

If you are bound and determined to do it anyway at least do it the right way as outlined below. 

Go to the Product Support Link at the top of this page, enter in your model, then click on the Download Tab to find the available bios files for that model.  DO NOT update the bios from within Windows.  Don't do it, don't even think about doing it if you want to use your computer again.  When you double click on the download you will be presented with the choice of creating a CD to flash the bios from.  USE THIS METHOD.  You can use a CD-RW so you don't waste a blank, but even the cost of a regular blank CD is cheap compared to the $100 that most places will charge you to fix a botched bios flash.  Be sure to burn the CD at the slowest possible speed to ensure the best possible quality.  Make sure that your battery is fully charged, installed, and the AC Adapter is plugged in just in case. 

If the bios file you download does NOT have the create a self booting disk option then do NOT update the bios period.  Contact Toshiba Support for your area and request information on how to create the self booting CD to flash from.  DO NOT ACCEPT their answer that it is safe to flash from Windows as this is an outright lie. 

* The machine must be in BOOT mode, not Resume mode.
* Any power on passwords in the bios must be disabled.
* All PCMCIA cards, USB and Firewire devices, and SD cards must be removed from the system prior to upgrading the BIOS.
* The notebook computer must not be attached to any type of docking device.  
* And don't forget to go into the bios and hit the F9 key to load Bios/Setup Defaults then F10 to exit and save just prior to and immediately after updating the bios.