Error code E4 54039000 on DVR620KU

Error code E4 54039000 on DVR620KU

I just bought a DVR620KU to dub VHS cassettes onto DVD. I complete the setup menu and dubbing actually begins, lasts for about five seconds, and then up on the screen pops a box with the above error code and the message: "Recording error. Cannot record on this disc."

I've used SONY (supposedly compatible) DVD+RW and DVD+R, several discs of each, and the same thing keeps happening. Tech support person was nice but wasn't able to tell me much except to try some different brands. What should I be looking for? According to the owners manual (page 10) , brands Verbatim, JVC, Maxell, SONY (oh, yeah?) and TDK are "recommended...and proven to be compatible with this unit." Well, maybe not. Can anyone help?

Re: Error code E4 54039000 on DVR620KU

I am experiencing the same error no matter what brand of DVDs I use. I have seen where some have said to use 4X or 8X and that doesnt work either.  Error code: Can not record on this disc E4 54039000.

3/3/2015

I got the same error E 4 54039000 on some of the attempts I tried below.

#1 Verbatim DVD-R 6x - - got “ Please eject the disc Playback feature may not be available on this disc --- there  was no corresponding error code “

#2 Memorex DVD-RW 4x - - Playback feature may not be available on this disc (there was no accompanying error number code ) .. . Nonetheless I continue on to press the “REC” button and it displayed this error message “Can not record on this disc E24 ) ( on another attempt the error message was E21 also Can not record on this disc )

#3 Verbatim DVD+R 16x - - “Recording Error   Can not record on this disc E 4 54039000 “

#4 Sony DVD+R   4.7GB 120min 1X-16X - -- same error

#5 Sony DVD+RW 4.7GB 120min 1X-4X – same error

#6 Memorex DVD+R 4.7GB 120min 16X - -- same error

#7 So then I called Toshiba Tech Support but somehow the tech support I was able to talk to (after trial and error of various phone numbers trying to find a live person) does not support DVRs but she took my call and told me to hold on for a while cause she will try to consult with one of their Acclaim Admins. After a few minutes she got back to me and said the Acclaim admin said to only use DVDs up to 4X speed only.

#8 so now tried a DVD with only up to 4X speed which is this TDK DVD+R 4X --- and again got the usual error “Recording Error Can not record on this disc E 4 54039000”

I think if I would sum up all the money I’ve spent buying the above blank DVDs ( I just bought small packages of each) it will total up to the same amount I paid for this Toshiba DVR620KU DVD/Video Recorder.

This is just a waste of money and Best Buy won't take it back cause its past their 15-day return policy period. This is not fair.

I have a DVR620KU and have never been able to use any brand of DVD+RW. I wanted to re-use recordings but I don't know what to do. Since I bought had the machine I had been using DVD-R non-reusable disks. They started giving me the same ERROR message when loading. I was about to buy a new machine when I used a cleaningg disk. The problem with using DVD-R disks went away, the picture became sharper, and the speed when loading or finalizing picked up. But to this day, and the machine is many years old I can't use any type of RW disks. I've spent enough money on the brands the service manual recommended. I'll simply buy another brand next time. And I'm sure it won't matter to Toshiba.

Frequent Advisor

You mention trying DVD+RW. Have you ever tried DVD-RW discs?

Note that I have a DVR620KU as well, but it doesn't appear to have problems with either DVD+RW or DVD-RW discs.

When you say you've never been able to use any brand of DVD+RW, what happens when you try loading a DVD+RW? What kind of messages do you get?