ashwinipn

viedo card problem, GeForce FX Go5200

Hi,

I am currently facing problem with video card on my Toshiba Satellite P25-S526. On bootup a new hardware found wizard indicates that video controller (VGA compatible) is found and prompts for the driver installation. When I install driver/s downloaded from Toshiba support website or microsoft driver for GeForce FX Go5200 64 MB, it gets installed. Upon restart, windows boot up screen comes and after the windows XP logo disappears, the screen goes blank. To restart the machine, I have to use the option F8 and reverting to the last known configuration that worked. After that, as expected, the driver installed is removed and the wizard again prompts to install the driver. Even without restarting I have successfully installed the driver but when I try changing resolution or any other parameter, the screen goes blank and I have to repeat the procedure (F8) to start it again.

I suspect video card failure. In that case, I would like to know whether I can replace the card. I know that it is not integrated and has 64 MB of external DDR RAM.

Any kind of help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ashwini

Frequent Advisor
ChristopherC

Re: viedo card problem, GeForce FX Go5200

Just out of curiosity, how do you know you don't have an integrated graphics controller? Generally if the controller isn't integrated it is mounted on a proprietary 'daughter' card. I've just gone through the disassembly instructions for the P25 and saw no references or pictures of a daughter card. If you do have one, it may be available from one of the parts wholesalers or from a Toshiba PASP. If I were you, before going to all that trouble, I'd back up my data and recover the unit to factory condition. That's the gold standard test to identify a hardware problem.
ashwinipn

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I think you may be right. When I looked at the specification, it said "NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX Go5200 graphics controller; 64MB DDR external video memory" . So, it looks like the controller is integrated and supported with 64MB of external memory. Thanks for clearing the doubt. I would try with the factory default option. Actually, I had installed Windows XP Professional later once this video problem surfaced. At that time, the system was on a pre-installed Windows XP Home. But, here, a question arises. This video problem was faced on the original factory installed settings. Now it continues on a newer installation. What is the probability that this problem would be solved after reverting back. In principle, I should have the freedom to install what I want, rather than stuck up with whatever was provided in the first place....

Regards,

Ashwini

Frequent Advisor
ChristopherC

The purpose of using the recovery disks to go back to factory fresh is not to force you to use the original installation, it is to determine whether your problem is hardware or software.  If after you restore the system, everything works you know that the problem is software and you can start reinstalling whatever you want, watching for the problem to crop up.  Recovery is just a troubleshooting technique.  If you took the machine in to a Toshiba shop, the first thing they would do is re-image the harddrive and if the problem is gone, they know that software was the problem.  There is a lot of mis-behaving software out there than can raise havoc with a system.  Corrupt or incorrect drivers can cause problems, programs can corrupt or interfere with drivers, added RAM can be incompatible, ... the possibilities are endless and can be eliminated only by returning the system to its factory fresh condition.
ashwinipn

Thanks for the suggestion. It is indeed helpful and brings more clarity in the OEMs' approaches. I usually build my own system. So, don't have much idea about the prebuilt systems. Thank you very much once again. I would try what you suggested...

Regards,

Ashwini

danielgloria534

How do I get Help
Frequent Advisor

danielgloria534 wrote:
How do I get Help

Start a new message thread, and give the complete model, the operating system that is installed, and a complete description of the problem, including any error messsages you are getting.  Copy these messages exactly, don't paraphrase.