Occasional Contributor
greenlanternfan

toshiba satellite A105 - S4004 screen goes black

my toshiba satellite A105 - S4004 laptop screen upon booting goes black and won't come back up the only way i can get it to come back on is to close the lid and let it go into hibernation mode and then reopen the lid and it will come back on after touching the power on button but only for either a few seconds or a minute or 2 . tonight i am going to hook up a regular pc monitor from my desktop and see if it will work thru there. if it will not work with a outside monitor, what could be wrong with it and how much could i expect to pay for it to get fixed? otherwise it does work fine, other than this, the battery which was on the recall list, it won't take a  charge lol, its been a good laptop.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: toshiba satellite A105 - S4004 screen goes black

Satellite A105-S4004

Let's just try a basic system reset and see if this helps bring your system back.  Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, at the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, then try to boot into Windows again.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
greenlanternfan

last night i hooked up my samsung desktop monitor to the blue vga port on my laptop and the laptop detected it and while my laptop screen was black the desktop monitor worked fine it showed everything with no flickering then going to black like the laptop does. the laptop stayed blacked out.

Occasional Contributor
greenlanternfan

thanks mike i will try this tonight.

Super Advisor
miker643

No worries, let us know what happens. Something else to look for is whether your laptop display is actually blacked out, or can you still see the LCD display, but very dimly?

Mike

Occasional Contributor
greenlanternfan

the screen flickers a little for a second or 2 then goes completely dark i can't see even the slightest image on the laptop lcd screen but the laptop worked good thru the vga port, all the while the laptop screen was black the monitor showed me everytrhing on my wallpaper.  does that mean i can rule out the graphics card? i mean the video card or chip i guess.

Super Advisor
miker643

Yes, if you are getting a good video signal through your external monitor regardless of what is happening on the laptop's LCD, then there's nothing wrong with your video card/chip. In fact, given what is happening, I doubt there is anything wrong with the LCD itself. I suspect you have a bad connection and/or a bad video cable. As your system heats up, the connection/cable quality gets worse, and then you lose the signal to the laptop's LCD.

This will show you how to access the cable to double check the connections. Unfortunately, your video cable would seem fairly expensive, assuming double checking the connections doesn't help:

Toshiba Satellite A105. Removal & replacement of inverter & LCD screen

LCD Cable V000060250

Toshiba LCD Cable V000060250

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

kileab

Thanks Mike! just resetting the cable made this same problem go away for me.

Occasional Contributor
greenlanternfan

last night i did like you said Mike it worked good for about 5 minutes then it went to full black out screen again i bet it is the cable then i will order one and istall it and i will let you know if it took care of my problem, thanks for the help.

Super Advisor
miker643

You're welcome. Happy to help. Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
greenlanternfan

hi mike i got the new cable today and tried to remove the lcd cable myself. i ran into a problem where the cable goes into the hole for the motherboard, i did find one reference where it says you have to take out the keyboard strip to access the port and cable screw found there but i cant find any directions that show you how to do this, i almost took the back off thinking to access the motherboard from there but i think i am wrong there and over my head if i mess with the back cover. any ideas on how to do this? those directions stop short on that link above and dont tell you how to finish removing and replace that cable. any help is greatly appreciated.

Super Advisor
miker643

....i ran into a problem where the cable goes into the hole for the motherboard, i did find one reference where it says you have to take out the keyboard strip to access the port and cable screw found there but i cant find any directions that show you how to do this, i almost took the back off thinking to access the motherboard from there but i think i am wrong there and over my head if i mess with the back cover. any ideas on how to do this?

If you just surfed back to the root to the website the previous instructions I posted, you would have found what you were looking for:

Toshiba Satellite A105 How to remove laptop motherboard

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
greenlanternfan

yeah i did find out how to remove the keyboard strip but  i got the lcd cable installed but it still goes to black i am thinking it must be the fl inverter next and i guess if it that doesnt work i need to replace the lcd screen (groan) i was just wondering if you thought it might be the fl inverter instead. it can only be three things if the graphic or video card isn't bad right? fl inverter , lcd cable, or lcd screen itself.  can it be anything else? what do you think mike? thanks for the help.

whstark

Hello,

Think I got It Fixed - By Changing Display Driver Back to 6.14.10.4436 from toshiba site.    

May Work In your Case To. Also before Changing It I got a hint , when I went to Device Manger and Hit on Properties of intel 945m to see Version Screen Went Blank.

kesslerda

I recovered my computer by turning off power, removing battery, holding power switch for 30 seconds or so to discharge device.  I reinstalled battery and turned computer on and screen returned.  I then went into advanced power options and disabled hibernation mode and have not had the problem reoccur.  It has long been know that hibernation mode does not always work correctly and can produce a black screen particularly in older operating systems like xp.  It is more likely that the black screen is related to a software like hibernation mode and not hardware since many people can get an image to show on an external monitor.  

kwhaley91

Hi I'm have a peoblem with my toshiba lap to I bought not 2 years ago it will boot up fine but when I enter my password and login it goes black any help would be greatly appreciated
Peter

Do you also have an A105-S4004, kwhaley91?

- Peter