Evolution8
Accepted Solution

"Unsupported Video Signal" when connected to TV.

I have been connecting my laptop to my HDTV for months to watch Hulu and it worked great when it was set to "CRT". Found my baby playing with both my TV remote and the laptop the other day and now I can't get it to work again. Is there another way to change the video output on the computer that would make this error come up on the TV or is the problem with the TVs settings? If I unplug the serial cable from the laptop the TV aknowledges there isn't a signal at all and as soon as I plug it back in it goes straight to saying the signal is unsupported.
Occasional Contributor
Natedawg63

Re: "Unsupported Video Signal" when connected to TV.

Sounds like your display settings on your laptop got changed. When you say "serial" cable from your laptop to your TV - do you mean VGA to VGA cable from computer to TV? Your TV manual/specs will tell you what native resolutions each input accepts (1024x768, etc) - you need to set your vid card settings/refresh rate to that resolution/refresh rate to correctly display the image on your TV.

Nate

Evolution8

Thanks Nate.  Yes, I do mean the svga cable.  My husband brought his laptop from work so we could try it and his works fine so I set all the settings (refresh rate and resolution) to match his and it still won't work.  Now I'm totally confused!  Any other suggestions? :/

Occasional Contributor
Natedawg63

What is the model number of his laptop? Satellite Pxxx-xxxx., etc - on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

Nate

Evolution8

PSAA8U-0LK02K Satelite A105-S4094
Occasional Contributor
Natedawg63

[ Edited ]

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/manuals/userguides/su1266386/Sat_A100A105_06Jan17.pd...

Read pages 68-70 - the .pdf is locked and will not let me copy/paste :smileysad:

Nate

Evolution8

So I was changing back and forth between my husbands computer and my computer with the VGA cable and my husbands started giving me the same error "Unsupported Vieo Signal". I went through and found that I had changed the screen resolution by accident (his Dells mouse has the one click feature activated). I went and changed the resolution back to what it was supposed to be and the picture came back. I have changed every possible setting on my Toshiba and it refuses to work! Am I at the point where I should reinstall a driver or something? I read the manual from the previous post but it didn't tell me anything Nate didn't already tell me to try, or did I miss something while I was reading it?
Occasional Contributor
Natedawg63

Did you get the part about using the FN key along with the F5 to shift between the different display configurations that the Toshiba offers? You may not be sending a signal to the TV at all with the Toshiba and you have to activate it through the FN + F5 key strokes. Also... set the Toshiba to the res you set the Dell to.

Nate

Evolution8

I already knew about the Fn+F5 key.  I used it all the time back when it did work to switch from sending the signal to TV to sending it only to the notebook.  I set all the settings on the Toshiba to match the settings on the Dell and that also didn't work.  I looked up what settings are supported by the Toshiba Regza TV manual as well ( that is the TV I am trying to hook it up to again) and none of the settings it says it accepts worked.  There must be some kind of problem with the signal my laptop is sending out now.  I'm trying to figure out at this point whether it is a driver problem or a hardware problem.  In either case I KNOW it's a problem with the laptop and not the cable or the TV.

Evolution8

Well, I reformatted my hard drive and restored my laptop and that still didn't fix it.  This confirms it is a hardware issue with the port and since it is one piece with the motherboard the entire motherboard would have to be replaced if they couldn't fix it by hand.  Cheaper to but a new laptop!  The work around solution is to buy a usb to vga conversion cable.  I'm told it will work just as well.  Good luck to all of you who are having the same problem.

ariluvatar

I want to connect my pc to my Toshiba 46SL412U television, but every time I do so (with my vga cord, or maybe it's s-vga, don't know the difference), it tells my "unsupported video signal". I have a ATI Radeon HD 3600 video card. Can my card show video on the TV? If so, what do I need to do?

Any help would be very appreciated!

Board Moderator
Kyo-suke01

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.