heck_dz

aproblem with display settings on NB520 after upgrading to windows 7 professional

[ Edited ]

I bought a TOSHIBA NETBOOK NB520. Serial No: XXXXXXXXX, Part No: PLL62L-00H005.

I upgraded from Windows 7 starter to windows 7 Professional.

After doing this, all works well except that I am facing a PROBLEM WITH THE SCREEN RESOLUTION.

The display settings do not allow me to make changes.

It is fixed at 1. Default Monitor is On.  and the resolution is 800 x 600. It does not allow me to change the resolution to a higher number.  

Due to this problem, my desktop icons are VERY VERY LARGE and some items do not fit on the screen.

I have installed the latest drivers from TOSHIBA ASIA website and still no solution  to the problem.

Please help.

Thank you

[Moderator edit to remove serial number.]

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: aproblem with display settings on NB520 after upgrading to windows 7 professional

Did you install Windows 7 Professional 32bit edition, or 64bit edition? You should have only installed the 32bit version. There is no benefit whatsoever to you installing the 64bit version on this netbook. Plus, I sincerely doubt that Toshiba made 64bit drivers for your unit.

After making sure you have installed the 32bit version, go back to Toshiba Asia's download site for your model. Then download and install 1st the Toshiba supplied hardware drivers and hardware utilities, then 2nd the Toshiba utilities and Toshiba software in this order.

1st Toshiba hardware drivers and hardware utilities

chipset

display

sound

all other hardware drivers and hardware utilities

2nd Toshiba utilties and Toshiba software

Toshiba Value Added Package

Toshiba Flash Card Support Utility

then all other Toshiba utilities and software

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: aproblem with display settings on NB520 after upgrading to windows 7 professional

Another way to fix things is to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents and then apply Windows Anytime Upgrade. It takes only minutes and drivers are not disturbed.

Upgrade to another edition of Windows 7 by using Windows Anytime Upgrade

-Jerry
heck_dz

Thanks Mike et al.

I solved the problem by using windows update to update the driver and it is OK now.

The only problem i want to fix now is controlling the screen size using the touch pad. Used to do it before but now i cant do it.

Thanks

Super Advisor
miker643

Neither Jerry's nor my previous instructions are going to change. Toshiba notebooks are very finicky about only working properly with the Toshiba supplied drivers, NOT those from Windows Update, or direct from the chip makers.

Follow the advice or don't. It's your system, your choice.

Mike

heck_dz

Dear Mike & Jerry,

Will do as advised. TQVM

Super Advisor
miker643

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Terran_Delta

Hi,

Just had my NB520 Upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate, one thing i discovered is that the Graphics card uses a different video driver obtained from the Intel Website:

Here's the link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Netbo...

The graphics card driver you can use is the one for

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series for Windows 7* 32-bit

hope this helps.