mbjohn68

X205 SLi5--3 beeps, no display, no startup

I have an X205 SLi5.  When i power up the pwer light comes on, the hard drive light comes on for a few seconds then i get 1 quiet beep then 2 louder beeps.  all beeps are same duration.  I have read that this may be due to a faulty graphics card.  This machine has the nVidia dual Geforce 8600 gt.  I am having trouble finding a replacement.  does anyone know where I can find one?  If it is no longer available, what is an appropriate replacement?

mbjohn68

Re: X205 SLi5--3 beeps, no display, no startup

I have found further information that nVidia anounced a problem with their cards in 2008.  Hp, Dell, and Mac have taken steps to address the problem.  Toshiba has not.  Apple has agreed to replace defective cards at no charge up to 2 years, even if out of warranty.  Does Toshiba plan on doing anything?  Also, I don't think I want to replace my card with another defective one.  What are my options?

mbjohn68

apparently Toshiba does not have people monitoring this forum.  I guess there is no help available from them.  What a shame.  I have two Toshiba laptops and was about to by another one for my daughter.  I may have to rethink this.  Anyone have any recommendations for a company with good customer service?

ghteufel

I just had the exact same problem surface on the exact same model last night.  thanks for posting the info you posted and if I find any info to be of help I will post it. 

ghteufel

wait sorry mine is the X205 SLi2 and my graphics card is an ATI mobility radeon 9700.  I am thinking this is a hard drive problem and not the graphics card sorry man.

ghteufel

ok now I have confirmed the hard drives are fine.  crap so it may be the graphics card after all.  lovely.  those things run $400 I hear.

Thane13

I have the same issue.  Black screen on bootup .. hard drive grinds a bit, all lights are active, but I get 3 short beeps - 1 soft followed by 2 louder short beeps.  I have spoken with Toshiba about this .. no help at all .. they say the one soft, 2 loud short beeps can be either:  1)  Memory; 2)  Power Supply; 3)  Hard Drive; or 4)  Video card.  In other words, Toshiba support doesn't have a clue. 

Unfortunately, the x205,SLi2 has dual nVidia graphics cards .. so BEFORE YOU REPLACE IT, you must find out if it is card #1 or card #2 (they are not one piece) .. each card costs about $358 from Toshiba .. that's $716 to replace both.  And Toshiba says the only way to determine which card is the problem, you have to take it to a licensed support team.  There is one my neighborhood (Sarcom), but it will cost a ton to get someone to look at it and determine the issue .. so you should plan on adding $200+ to the price of the video card in order to determine the card problem. 

The worst customer support I have ever had .. called Toshiba support 4 times, got 3 different answers, so I'm going with the one answer that was repeated by two Support Reps.

RS1
RS1

I had a similar problem. My memory chip had come out of the slot. Upon setting this..It started fine.

Occasional Contributor
strontium

Three beeps (one short, two longer) usually indicates faulty video hardware.  It could be as simple as the gpu not being seated, correctly.  Or, it could be a dead card.

scooter91

I have the Satellite X205 SLi-2 and just recently had the same problem.  Anyone know if the Nvidia Gforce 6800M GT graphics card is integrated into the motherboard or is it plugged into a slot?  Is it replaceable by getting a new card(s) and if so, where can you get a new card?  also, is it going to cost more to fix than to buy a new computer?  Any suggestions or answers?

burdstuff

[ Edited ]

Sorry to say but it's a smoked video card.

Mine is already on its way for repairs for the second time for just this very reason. I had read about the bad chips from Nvidia after I had owned the laptop for a year and noticed symptoms of overheating. After reading I hoped it was just over hyping a small defect and hoped I would not be affected by it. Low and behold on my 4 day xmas break from work it crapped out. Black screen 3 beeps at start. Sent it in under warranty repair and received the same revision chip that has been confirmed faulty.

I suggest you get familiar with www.nvidiadefect.com. If Toshiba isn't going to cover the repair then they're not going to. I have to fight the up hill battle because I purchased mine from compUSA who went out of business and my warranty is up this Nov. But I have read ways to hopefully get my money refunded to me.

I will say that I will never recommend or purchase another Toshiba or Nvidia product again.

Good Luck

ValidatOR

I have been fighting with Toshiba about the defective GPU in my laptop.  It first burnt out a week before warranty expired.  It took them 4 months to fix it.  Now, my laptop is out of warranty and the second GPU is burnt out again.  However, I have been able to get Toshiba to fix my laptop again without charge even though warranty is expired.  I always used to buy Toshiba laptops and recommend them to others but since I have had this issue, I have not bought a single Toshiba laptop and will never buy one. Period.  HP is the way to go. 

Sivalidator

Did you find any solution to your laptop issue?  If not, let me know...I might be able to tell you how to get it fixed by Toshiba for free even if its out of warranty.

yorkevideo

OK I m reading and I so no fixes no results no followups .did anyone get there laptops fixed , how much how and did they use the same card ? 8600m

yorkevideo

How should I get my laptop fixed ? 

NickTSli5

Hey.  My laptop died today... 1 soft beep, 2 loud beeps.  Did the ram check. Did the battery check... Any suggestions on how to fix this or how to get Toshiba or NVidia to man up?

X205user3

Toshiba X205-Sli No Boot, 3 Beeps, Dead Screen Problems

Cause of the problem:
Overheating Graphics GPU due to dust buildup, which in turn causes breaks in the solder tracks on the graphics card.

Here’s how I fixed it:
You will need:
a)    A Hoover / Vacuum
b)    Small Brush
c)    Thermal Cream / Paste
d)    Jewelers Screwdrivers or similar small Philips
e)    An Oven! + Tray

1)    Dismantle laptop to access graphics card, use this very well made guide here:X205 Dismantle
2)    Remove Graphics cards, heatsinks also strip downfans and clean, ensure free of dust.
3)    Take both graphics cards and place on a oven tray
4)    Cook Cards for 15-20 mins at 200c
5)    Turn off oven , DO NOT MOVE, allow to cool.
6)    Reassemble, applying Thermal cream/ paste to heatsinks on the graphics cars (beware there are a lot of locations that need paste)
7)    Turn on and enjoy you X205 SLi once again.
8)    I had to cook my cards twice as the first time the screen was slightly red.

TIPS FOR KEEPING YOU X205 Alive!

1)    NEVER PICK UP OR MOVE YOUR LAPTOP WHEN  IT IS HOT (been on for more than 5 mins)
2)    PLACE LAPTOP ON A FLAT SURFACE ( I used to prop mine up to improve ventilation)

3)    BLOW OUT THE VENTS WITH A COMPRESSOR (OR CANNED AIR) REGULARLY

P.s.  I downloaded a Nvida CPU  temp gadit, before I cleaned it, it used to hover around 75c-80c, after cleaning its sits a stable 59c

Hope this get your lappys working again!

RacerX183

I did exactly as X205user3 outlined and it worked perfectly!  No issues at all.  As I was baking the cards I was thinking how I couldn't afford another laptop.  I needed a bit of help and I found it yesterday.

Thanks a ton!

a55a55inx

x205user3's advice is legit! I just had this exact problem a few days ago and did exactly as he explained, and it worked! My computer is working again! Thank you so much! Now I don't have to buy new parts like the tech support guy told me to do.

BudCallaghan

X205user3 - did you mean 200 degrees Centigrade or 200 degrees Farenheit?