Occasional Contributor
Dreamer1990

Which Driver for Intel HD graphics (L655-S5156)?

[ Edited ]

Hi, I bought this laptop in early Feb. After about a week when I was playing my Sims 3 game I got an error "Display driver has stopped responding but has recovered" and I get it randomly during gameplay ever since.

I assume this has to do with my display driver.

The one I had during this occurance was 8.15.11.2202 

However, upon searching Toshiba's driver site they have 8.15.11.2189

So..which one is it?

I don't think I can do Intel's site as it's customized toshiba. Sorry, just very confused.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Which Driver for Intel HD graphics (L655-S5156)?

Go into Device Manager by clicking on 'Start' and then typing in   devmgmt.msc   and then click on this file. Next, click on the arrow beside 'Display adapters', then right click on the 'Mobile Intel HD Graphics' adapter, then left click on 'Uninstall', and click 'OK' to confirm uninstall.

Click on 'Start - All Programs - Windows Update' and click on 'Change settings' on the menu at left, under 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu at right and choose 'Download updates but let me choose whether to install them', then click 'OK' and exit Windows Update.

Download these files to your desktop, and double click on them to install in this order:

Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

Intel Display Driver(v8.15.10.2189)

Intel Management Engine Interface

Test your system. Never let Windows Update change any of your Toshiba supplied hardware drivers.

Let us know what happens.  Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Advisor
TheWarrior

Website download page probably is not updated and you have a newer image installed on your computer.

You can actually install drivers from intel but you have to uninstall the old ones first before you can install the new one otherwise you'll get a message about that customized driver.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

While you can install drivers direct from Intel, or from Windows Update, it is generally not recommended. It is usually best to stay with the Toshiba supplied and tweaked drivers. Otherwise, problems can happen, like the "Display driver has stopped responding but has recovered" error you experienced with the non-Toshiba driver, and/or your brightness controls may stop working, and/or other strange problems, because you are no longer using the Toshiba driver.

On the other hand, some games insist on using the latest drivers supplied by the display chip/card manufacturer. As well, Toshiba is infamous for being very slow to update their drivers, and generally only doing so when there is a proven problem with the last driver. This can be a big headache for gamers.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
Dreamer1990

[ Edited ]

Thanks to all who replied. I haven't tested my game so far, but this is what I've done.

I uninstalled the driver as you said. It said I needed to restart for effects but I clicked later so I could follow the rest of your instructions.

Then I changed to download but let me decide like you asked.

Downloaded all of the ones you had in order and installed each one, again waiting to restart until all were installed in correct order. What was funny as I installed the third one (driver) was that even though I had the driver at 2189 yesterday, it told me I had the 2202 again, so Windows must have re-updated it. Upon installing the last interface one, I finally restarted. I noticed when I restarted that right before the screen went to log-in there was a black box similar to command prompt that said something about graphics quickly and then successfully logged on like normal. Am I to assume that the box was due to all of the changes in order that I did as instructed?

Sorry if I sound like a noob, I'm not very good with this section of computers!

Super Advisor
miker643

No problem. With regard to the 'black box' thing, Windows has come a long way, but it still goes way back to its DOS roots sometimes to run programs and updates in 'Command Prompt' mode. That was all you saw flash up there, nothing at all to worry about.

However, I'm the one who was a bit of noob, for not being a little more specific with my instructions to you. So, preventing the first restart, until you had changed the Windows Update setting was a good thing. But, you should have then rebooted before installing the first driver, and you should have rebooted each time Windows asked you to, before installing the next driver. Also, I forgot to tell you to delete the display driver, when you uninstalled it.

So, I'm very sorry, but let's try it one more time.

Go into Device Manager by clicking on 'Start' and then typing in   devmgmt.msc   and then click on this file. Next, click on the arrow beside 'Display adapters', then right click on the 'Mobile Intel HD Graphics' adapter, left click on 'Uninstall' and put the check mark on 'Delete the driver software for this device', and then click 'OK' to confirm uninstall. Reboot as requested. Your graphics may look a little strange after the reboot, until you install the display driver below.

Download these files to your desktop, including the sound driver, and double click on them to install in this order: Reboot as requested before installing the next driver

Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

Intel Display Driver(v8.15.10.2189)

Intel Management Engine Interface

Conexant Audio Driver

Don't worry about any of those little black Command Prompt windows you may see.  But, do write down exactly any error messages you receive, do not paraphrase, spelling and syntax are important.

Then test your system and your game. Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
Dreamer1990

Update:

System seems fine.

Sims 3 game played for about 2 hours until having the "display has stopped responding and has recovered". It occured when I was turning an object in buy mode. The good news is that's the longest it has ever gone and I wonder if I just played the game a little too long in buy mode. I saved constantly though, as I wasn't sure if it would happen. Feeling the side of the laptop where the vents are is not very hot at all--which is a change as before with the other intel installed my pc got very hot. Any thoughts?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Check the version of the display driver again you have now, and see if it has changed. If it has changed from 8.15.10.2189, then Windows Update has probably done that. In that case, you should repeat the uninstall and delete driver and reboot operation above, and only reinstall the Toshiba display driver this time.

Regardless, you should disable automatic updates and installs in Windows Update. Click on 'Start - All Programs - Windows Update', then click on 'Change settings' on the menu at left, next under 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu at right and choose 'Never check for updates (not recommended)'. This how I have mine set, I just manually check once or twice a week, but I never let it change any of the hardware drivers.

In addition, if you haven't done so, you should install the latest BIOS v2.30 update, as there were 2 different updates in March 2011, that specifically fixed and updated the Video BIOS (VBIOS). Download the update file and double click to install. If your BIOS update software will allow you, use the boot CD method. Create the BIOS update boot CD, leave it in the drive, reboot, at the Toshiba logo hit 'F12' to enter the boot sequence, choose boot from CD/DVD - Optical disk drive, and then boot off that CD. If you have to, use the Windows flash BIOS method. Regardless, after the update, it will want to shut down or reboot your computer, let it. As soon as you see the Toshiba logo press 'F2' to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit.

ACPI Flash BIOS version 2.30 for Satellite L655

Test your unit and game again, please let us know what happens.  Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
Dreamer1990

[ Edited ]

I haven't played the game yet as I haven't had time, though the system is running okay after bios update. I had to do it via windows as I didn't have a disc (at college) but I made sure nothing was running and my anti-virus was disabled at the time of install. My bios was at 1.70 so I definitely was behind. If you don't mind me asking, what exactly does this 2.30 fix? I'm a noob, remember, haha. As for the intel, Windows had a "failed" status for the intel driver they tried to install as I had set the windows update yesterday like you said. Thankfully, the driver version will remain 8.15.10.2189. Does it matter if the windows settings are set for "check before downloading and installing updates" or "never check" ? Just curious.

UPDATE: The display happened again, though I noticed it said "display graphics media accelerator for Windows XP(R)

has stopped responding and has recovered".....I have Windows 7?

I posted my dxdiag in case you wanted it.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

You can see what the various BIOS updates from v1.70-v2.20 fixed on this page.

I like to have Windows Update set so I have to do it manually as:

1) I have to prevent Windows Update from changing my Toshiba supplied drivers

2) I hate it when I'm trying to download something myself and Windows Update is downloading at the same time

3) It gives me a chance to check if others report a problem(s) after installing certain updates, before I install it

4) It gives me at least the illusion of having more control over my system

But, you can really select anything EXCEPT 'Install updates automatically', as this gives you NO chance to choose whether to install them or not.

Leave things as they are for now. The next time you get the error, with the error message still on the screen,  press the 'Fn' key, hold it down, and then press the 'PrtSc' key, to do a 'Print Screen'. Next close the error message, go into a blank document in MS-Word and immediately just 'Paste'. This will paste in a screen shot of the print screen you just did with  the error message on it. Save the file as 'display-error.doc' and exit Word. Rename the file you just created 'display-error.doc.txt' and the attach it to your next post here.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
Dreamer1990

Okay, will do.

Quick question, I have Aero theme enabled on my pc and I know it takes I think 1GB of resources or something like that. Would disabling it during the Sims 3 maybe prevent that error?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Disabling anything that is unecessary to free up resources to allow the maximum available for your game is a good thing. This would be especially true of any graphics/video related items.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
Dreamer1990

I'm having trouble getting the PRTSC to show the display message. Usually, when the black screen flickers I have about 2 seconds to successfully alt+tab+delete to even show the message otherwise the black screen freezes my whole pc, makes this noise that's kind of high pitched, and I have to hard reboot. As I mentioned before, it wasn't until about Feb 23rd that this started happening, so I don't know if I should do a system restore? Will I lose my game/pc data also or does it only restore the hardware settings?

Super Advisor
miker643

If you have a restore point just before Feb.23, it may fix up your problem. I'm not sure what will happen with your game data after a system restore. But, I would think there should be a way to save/backup your game data, if you check your game program or on the Internet. So, you could try to backup/save your game data before you do the restore, then, if necessary, you can put your game data back after the system restore.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
Dreamer1990

Problem: my restore points earlier than 4/7 are gone, even after hitting the "show earlier" :smileysad:

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Satellite L655-S5156

Time to do a Toshiba Recovery back to your unit's out-of-the-box condition, the information for the recovery utility begins on page 59 of your L650 User Guide. First create a set of recovery disks as back up, you'll need at least 3 DVDs, see page 68 of the user's guide. Make sure to backup all your user files, music, favorites, game data, etc.  Then run the recovery utility from the hard drive, by holding down the '0' (zero) key while powering on your computer, see page 61 of your user guide.

Also, see my post here, on preventing Windows Update from running after a Toshiba Recovery.

MIke

Occasional Contributor
Dreamer1990

Okay, I did the system recovery. It started loading a bar while installing hardware such as display driver etc. I made sure I picked "decide later" for windows update after the bar loaded. I un-installed Norton/Symantec as I have my own anti-virus I installed. Also installed ccleaner and un-installed google toolbar. Chose a background and password. Those are the only "new" things I've done so far. Checked driver and it is the 8.15.10.2189. I guess I assume that's the factory version if windows I set to have later?

Let me know how long I should test out system before trying Sims 3 or anything else.

Ps: I do believe Sims 3 runs for my system okay as I gave you the dxdiag and there's no lag or anything except for the issue we've been discussing.

-Thanks,

Ashley

Super Advisor
miker643

If your Sim3 game was the only place you were really having a problem, try it now. If you were having problems elsewhere, then give it a day or so. You originally said everything was fine for the first week or so when palying your game, then you started to have 'display driver stopped' error after that. If this only happens with the game, try the game.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
Dreamer1990

Okay, I'll try when I get out of my classes tomorrow. I have to re-install the game/expansion packs tomorrow along with it's game patches so I'll be sure to according to their recommendations as well.

Yes, that is correct. I remember being able to go into buy mode or any mode really of the game for hours and having no issues. But I also know that I had windows update automatically installing the SP1 pack and everything else so maybe there was something updated that messed it up. If not, then I'm guessing it would be a hardware issue.

Occasional Contributor
Dreamer1990

I wasn't able to go into buy mode (where the issue usually occurs) yet, but the game itself loaded okay.

The only updates on windows are a bunch of security ones. Should I install those or wait until I test the game some more?

Also, as a side note,  I was on the sims store and I went to click "download" for an item. A pop up came up (not sure what it was) that said something about verifying with sims launcher. It checked "do nothing" and now my google chrome won't do anything when I press download on the sims store, but IE works. Any idea what that pop up was or how to fix it? I realize I didn't offer much, but I only remember either "do nothing" or "allow" check mark.