holyavenger327

Webcam is dark, how to change settings?

Hey, when I'm on AIM my GF says that she can barely see me on my webcam, and that the screen is very dark. I can see her fine tho.

Do you know what the problem might be? It worked fine before, but then recently it started doing this.

I have a Toshiba A305-S6898. the driver for the webcam is up to date as well. It's a new laptop too (less than 2 weeks old) so I'm not sure what the problem is. I installed a bunch of programs recently, such as iTunes, Bearshare, Limewire, etc... but they shouldn't have anything to do with the webcam so I'm kinda confused. Help?

Regular Advisor
nicholaiCUTE

Re: Webcam is dark, how to change settings?

You can check the Properties of the webcamera using the Camera Assistant Software.

There is a setting there where you can set the lighting condition of the camera.

Lighting condition at you room can also affect that.

-----------------------
oOo
*Read EULA before installing any software.
:smileywink:
holyavenger327

Re: Webcam is dark, how to change settings?

Ok thanks man, I'll try this out next time I'm on. ^_^
BigBadBill

Re: Webcam is dark, how to change settings? (webcam black, camera black, camera dark)

I'm having a similar issue, as are others.

Curious if you set your "Flickerless" setting (select Properties, then on the Options tab) to 60hz?

I had set mine to 60hz (after all, 60hz is better than 50hz refresh rate, right?)

Anyway, I found after resetting the settings to "default" it was at 50hz, and I could cause it go black immediately and then come back by choosing first 60 then 50 without even hitting the "Apply" button.

I'm going to leave mine at 50hz for now, and see if the problem goes away.

The lighting options on the same tab also do seem to have some effect, too.  Selecting Night Mode works well if I'm sitting in a dimly lit room, but it would still go black from there...

Do a forum search on webcam black, and you'll see others posting about the issue

Blargh

Re: Webcam is dark, how to change settings? (webcam black, camera black, camera dark)

I had the same problem in which the webcam would fade to black seconds after it activated. I uninstalled the webcam assistant software, uninstalled the webcam driver and then restarted the computer. The webcam still fades to black but only when exposed to very low-light conditions. It comes back when exposed to bright light conditions. I'm thinking this might be the result of a failsafe built in to Toshibas that prevents the camera from remaining on after the laptop was closed. In any event, its obviously a factory bug. It seems the only way to permanently remedy the problem is to run a system restore and set at 32-bit as opposed to 64-bit.
Occasional Advisor
Techman

Jerry posted a solution that may fix some of these "black" webcam issues.  Be sure to give him credit if it works.

http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/tshb/board/message?board.id=brd_sat_a-series&message.id=630#M630

This signature left intentionally blank.
Occasional Advisor
Techman

Also, when it blacks out does the blue light stay on?  If it does stay on then maybe you don't have enough light in the room.  Cameras tend to need a lot more light then what people need.  The mroe light the better.

Also under Properties, turn Nightmode on.  If that doesn't work you could try Backlight compensation and Flickerless at 50 or 60.
Blargh

The blue light remains on and the webcam lighting definitely responds to room lighting. However, before I uninstalled the camera assistant softare and then the camera driver itself, the camera would fade to near black less than a minute after first use regardless of external lighting conditions. After uninstallation of both and restart, the camera appears to work fine. It only fades to near black when external lighting is very low and immediately returns to normal once lighting conditions improve. May end up not being a complete fix but certainly an easier one than restoration.
Occasional Advisor
Techman

Glad you fixed it.  Sounds like soemthing over wrote the driver and the assistant.  So should be OK unless you install software that has webcam capabilities.
Occasional Advisor
Techman

Did that fix it for any one else?