SmallTD

Web cam not working

I purchased a TOSHIBA SATELLITE C650-ST5N03 about 2 months ago now and i just now went to try and video chat and my web camera (which is built in), is not working.  All that comes up is a grey screen.

Peter

Re: Web cam not working

You've never used the camera successfully then, correct?

Try reinstalling the software.

Toshiba Web Camera Application(v2.0.3.3; 06-02-2011; 86.42M)

- Peter
SmallTD

Correct,  I have never been able to use the camera.  

I tried reinstalling the software and it did not woork...any other ideas?

Thanks.

Peter

In the Start Menu's search field' type "Device Manager" and select it when it appears in the results. Is "Imaging devices" listed? If you expand it, what's listed under it?

- Peter
SmallTD

Under "Imaging devices" it lists TOSHIBA Web Camera.

Peter

[ Edited ]

That's definitely a good sign.

To back up a little, when you said that reinstalling the software didn't help in your previous post, I assume you meant that it didn't solve the problem. The installation itself was successful, correct?

This may sound silly, but sometimes two protective plastic "stickers" are placed over the camera. One might be large and cover the entire glossy strip in which the camera is placed and one might be smaller, for example. Are you sure there's no protective cover on the camera still?

Edit: typo!

- Peter
SmallTD

Correct, the installation was successful, however the problem still exist.

And I have checked and double checked and tripled check that there is not a glossy strip over the camera that I am not seeing.  I have even had friends check to make sure I wasn't going crazy.  So I can say with certainty that there is nothing covering the camera.

Peter

Besides the Toshiba webcam application, do you have any other applications that use the webcam, such as Skype? Try uninstalling all 3rd party applications that use it (especially Skype), and then reinstall the Toshiba software again. Is there any change? (You can reinstall the 3rd party later. We just want to know if something is interfering.)

- Peter
SmallTD

I uninstalled Skype, which is the only 3rd party application that I have that uses the webcam.  And reinstalled the webcam application using the link you gave in your previous post.  There was no change, still just a grey screen.  

Peter

Unfortunately, it sounds like a hardware failure of some sort at this point. The only way to know for sure that it's not software is to perform a full recovery to factory default conditions, but this will also wipe all your data from the computer.

- Peter
SmallTD

Well that stinks, but thanks for all your help.  I really appreciate it.  

ysiadetneciv

Hi,

I have TOSHIBA SATELLITE L745. I experience the same issue and the store where I purchased my laptop said it was hardware issue. I had my laptop sent to the service center. It was with them for almost a month. When I got my laptop it was working. Unfortunately NOW I am experiencing the same issue. I was just wondering what makes this issue persist if this is a hardware issue.

I was just having a videocall on facebook when I got a prompt stating that there was a problem with the camera applications. I restart the application but I experienced the same issue. My friend can see me but I can't see them. The webcam screen appears black.

TOSHIBA can you please do something about this.

Your device is expensive in our location and I expect a better experience with the device. But I got so ashamed with my colleagues now when they ask on what model of laptop IM using.

Thanks. 

ysiadetneciv

BTW I bought my laptop last november 2011 and I experienced the first incident roughly around February 2012 then 2nd incident is this month July 2012. Im trying to figure out what causes this issue to happen.

Peter

If they can see you, then it isn't a hardware issue with your webcam. Your webcam has nothing to do with your ability to see them. You may want to uninstall the Facebook video plugin and then reinstall it.

- Peter
sam_alwaili

hi,

under the "Device Mangar" i cannot find the "imaging device" please, i need your help.

thanks.

CaptainLoser

Hi,

I have a Satellite P755, and my webcam recently (re: today) has experienced the same problem: a grey screen when I try to use the Toshiba Webcam Application.  I've already tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling, but that didn't work.  This is a brand new issue.  I was using it just yesterday and it worked fine.  When trying to use it on skype, all I get is a black screen with a rotating arrow that says it's loading, but nothing ever shows up.  I have checked the device manager, but all that is listed under the imaging devices is USB 2.0 Camera.  As far as I know, I haven't changed any settings or installed any programs between when I last used the webcam and today.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Peter

sam, you might want to try reinstalling the Web Camera Application, but that might indicate a hardware failure.

Captain,

Try using System Restore to restore a previous restore point from before this became an issue.

- Peter
CaptainLoser

I tried that.  I went back to before my computer installed the latest windows patch a few days back, but the problem persists.

Keri74436

Hi, My webcam is not working either.  I looked in the Device Manager, and I don't even have any imaging devices listed. What can I do?

Peter

CaptainLoser, when you reinstalled the drivers, did you do it through Device Manager or did you manually go reinstall the software downloaded from the support site?

Keri, what model do you have? It should be on a label on the bottom.

- Peter