eaubert
Accepted Solution

Web cam and built in microphone not working

Hello, I bought a Satellite L755-S5173 a month ago and recently the web cam and the built in micrphone stopped working. I tried installing the application and it says that the initialization failed and that I check the device or restart the computer, which I already did. The mic nor the web cam are working on skype either. Also, i can't find the device on the "Device Manager". Any help with this issue will be highly appreciated

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Web cam and built in microphone not working

Satellite L755-S5173 Specifications

Satellite L755-S5173 Downloads

The webcam should appear under 'Imaging devices' in Device Manager. See if the camera is still showing there, then double click on it, and tell us what it says in the 'Device status' box.

Also, while you're in 'Device Manager', click on the arrow beside 'Sound, video and game contollers', and tell us the exact name of your audio/sound device (not HDMI).

To see if your mic is still present, right click on the speaker icon in your system tray at the bottom right of your screen, left click on 'Recording devices'. If you do not see the microphone there, right click on a blank area of the 'Recording' tab box, make sure to put the check mark on 'Show Disabled Devices', and 'Show Disconnected Devices'. If you now see the microphone make sure it is enabled.

Let us know what you find.

Mike

eaubert

Thanks.

I did all you mentioned and "Imaging Devices" is not showing on the device manager, I am attaching a picture of how it looks right now, so you can see what it shows on the "Sound, video and game controllers" tab.

In the "Recording" tab the built-in microphone is not showing up either, not even as disabled.

Thank you again

Super Advisor
miker643

Try a proper system reset and see if this helps bring the webcam & mic back. Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, when you see the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, boot into Windows, and try your webcam & mic again.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

eaubert

Hello,

I did what you suggested, and it is remaining the same, neither one is showing up on the device manager or running within software like Skype.

Is there anything else I could do before trying a full format?

Thank you

Super Advisor
miker643

I must apologize for being a couple of days behind on my replies, but it could not be helped.

Let's try this. First, click on 'Start', type in   dev  , click on 'Device Manager', click on the arrow beside 'Sound, video and game controllers' and make note of the name of your audio/sound device (not HDMI or display audio). Next, download these drivers/utilities to your desktop and double click to install them in this order:

Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility

nVidia Display Driver

then only download install the correct audio device that you made note of above:

Conexant Audio Driver

or

nVidia HD Audio Driver

then try the webcam driver/software once more:

Toshiba Web Camera Application

Mike

eaubert

Hello again,

Thank you again for all the help, however it is still not working. When i run the application it says that it fails to initialize and the built-in microphone still doesn't show up (the plug in one works just fine though)

Could it be a hardware issue rather than software now?

Thank you

Erick

Super Advisor
miker643

Erick

Still could be either hardware or software. Both the webcam and built in speaker are part of one module. But, they are handled by 2 different drivers.

Before we try a Toshiba Recovery, let's check your BIOS update version. Click on 'Start', type in  sys  , click on 'System Information', look on the right hand side for 'BIOS Version/Date' and tell us what it says there.

Mike

eaubert

This is the version that shows on system information

BIOS Version/Date    INSYDE 3.10, 10/02/2012

Thank you again

Super Advisor
miker643

There's been a couple of updates since then that you can see here. Given the fixes listed, I'm not hopeful updating the BIOS will resolve your problem. But, they still seem to be important fixes so it's worth a shot.

First, only download this file to your desktop:

ACPI Flash BIOS version 3.40 for Satellite/Pro L655/L750/L755 (PSK1W/PSK1X/PSK2Y)

Whenever you update a BIOS, you should ensure you do NOT have a BIOS or Startup password enabled in the BIOS. Unplug all peripherals from your computer, including any USB devices, unplug/disconnect from the Internet. Reboot your system and close any open programs that you can that appear in the system tray at the bottom right of your screen. Then double click on the BIOS update file to run the program and update your BIOS, the system will want to shutdown or restart, on restart, as soon as you see the Toshiba logo press F2 to enter the BIOS setup, press F9 to load setup defaults, press F10 to save and exit, reboot into Windows, and test.

Mike

eaubert

Hello again, and sorry for the late response, I have been out of town away from this computer.

I just did the BIOS update, and still nothing with the webcam or the built in microphone.

I am trying a registry cleanup and a defrag just in case.

Thank you again

Erick

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Erick

It's time to do a Toshiba Recovery, to return your unit to its factory default out-of-the-box setup. This is considered the gold standard test on whether you have an actual hardware problem/failure, or a software/update/driver problem.

First, you need to back-up all your user files, music, pictures, etc. Then make a set of recovery disks for emergency purposes following the steps starting on page 74 of your User’s Guide, you'll need at least 4 DVDs, others have found that DVD-R disks seem to work best, or a 16GB+ USB thumbdrive. Then run the recovery utility from the recovery partition on your hard drive, as per the directions beginning on page 64 of your user guide.

When Windows is being setup at some point it will ask 'Do you want to allow automatic Windows Updates?' Answer 'No I will decide later'. Immediately after Windows has been setup, click on 'Start - All Programs - Windows Update', then on the menu at left click on 'Change settings', under 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu at right, select 'Never check for updates (not recommended)', and click 'OK'.

Test your webcam and microphone again. If everything is working properly then it was definitely some driver/software/update problem(s).

Then only run manual Windows Updates, check all the Important and Optional updates carefully, and never allow Windows Update to change any of your hardware drivers.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

eaubert

Hello Mike,

I finally could get the recovery done and looked over the updates, which helped the computer run smoother, but the webcam and microphone are still gone.

Now, that this is a hardware thing, is it better to get a plug-in webcam or try fixing the built-in one?

Thank you for all your help

Erick

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

USB webcams (they'll all have a mic in them) are very easy to install and use. It's something else you have to carry around and plug in, and so, not quite as convenient as the built in one. But, a lot easier to install, this would be the path of least resistance.

However, if you're feeling adventuress. This will show you how to initially take the screen apart to reach the webcam/mic module.

Toshiba L755 Laptop Screen Replacement Procedure

Either one of these should work.

A000095750

A000074940

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out. Good luck.

Mike

eaubert

Thanks for all your help Mike,

I was looking for the replacement webcam and couldn't find it here (I live in Peru and getting one here was a lot of paperwork and customs stuff), so I will go with the USB webcam

Thank you again

Erick

Super Advisor
miker643

You're very welcome Erick. Go with the USB webcam for now. If you make it back to the States, you can try to pick up the replacement part then.

Good luck.

Mike

Amonarth

Hi,

I have the same problem with my recently bought Satellite L840 Windows 7 64 bit. I would like to try a procedure like the above for this laptop model to find a solution for my problem. Could you give me the links to the respective drivers and applications for a L840 model?

Thank you

Senaka91

Well currently I'm facing the same problem.I bought my L645 last year.This is the first major problem I came across since I bought my laptop.Seems like a lot of toshiba users had and still have the same problem.I'd like to know whether there is a straight foward solution for this problem.I mean every guy sings the same song "re-install ur web cam drivers bla bla bla".So as a leading company why don't you guys do something for this web cam thingy.

Thanks !