Sabine493

Web Camera Application disappeared on Toshiba L645-S4102

Hello dear helpful people. =)

After reading through other threads to similiar problems, I thought I could fix the problem myself, but it's not working:  my "Web Camera Application" has disappeared, and after trying downloading the recommended versions three times, my "Web Camera Application" is still not working.

When I try to start the application, I am getting the error message "Web camera initialization failed. Please check your camera device and restart application or computer."
I am not sure what that means, as I don't know how to "check" my camera.

And so I downloaded the following files:

tc30049700n.exe (two attempts)
tc30268300u.exe

But after downloading them, and then giving the order to run the application "Web Camera Application V2.0.0.21", I click on "start" in the pop-up window, the file seems to extract, closes after the extraction, and then it just disappears, and the installation never starts.

I'd really appreciate your help, guys.

My laptop is a Toshiba L645-S4102.

Model # PSK0GU-OCT022.

I am running Windows 7.

Sabine

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Web Camera Application disappeared on Toshiba L645-S4102

Satellite L645-S4102 

Toshiba Web Camera Application 

the file seems to extract, closes after the extraction, and then it just disappears, and the installation never starts.

Try it this way, Sabine. When you execute the self-extracting file tc30049700n.exe, set the first screen like this, so that the files simply extract to a folder of your choosing.

Then run the file Setup.exe from that folder and tell us what happens.

-Jerry
Sabine493

[ Edited ]

Dear Jerry,

first of all, thank you so much for taking the time and answering.
I lived under the impression that I'd get an email notification once an answer was posted here, but I was wrong. =)
And so: sorry about the delay.

I followed your instruction.
When I started the setup.exe, InstallShield Wizard popped up and let me know that it's installing Toshiba Web Camera Application.

When it was done, another small window popped up, telling me to "Please wait while Windows configures MS Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable".
When it was done, I was asked to restart the computer. I did.

After restarting the computer, I clicked on "Web Camera Application" in the START menu, and I got the same error message that started all of this:
"Web camera initialization failed. Please check your camera device and restart application or computer.".

That's it.

Oh, and I did subscribe to this topic (which I thought was automatically done after my first posting), and so there won't be anymore delays. =)

Sabine

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and expand Imaging devices. Do you see the camera there?

-Jerry
Sabine493

I don't know how to insert a screenshot in here, but I am attaching one.
Where in the Device Manager would I find the camera?

Sabine

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Looks like Device Manager doesn't see the camera. You should have Imaging devices, like in this picture (where there is a scanner instead of a camera).

Most likely there is a hardware malfunction. The only way to tell for sure is to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media.

-Jerry
Sabine493

I feared that it might be necessary to do that. =(

I am going to spend some time securing my data, and then I"ll do what you said.

How annoying. I had never even used my webcam, even though I bought the laptop back in February this year.

Thank you, Jerry,

Sabine

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good luck, Sabine.

-Jerry